2022/23 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Davies is simply not a Premier League player. He does not possess any of the attributes required to play in midfield at that level. He could be getting regular football in the Championship and still be earning a small fortune. Unfortunately he isn’t unique in that regard in this current squad. I would like to see comprehensive clear out this summer but if we don’t get a new owner and a new board then we won’t have the financial clout nor will we have the savvy to replace bad with good. We cleared a few bad ones out over recent years only to replace them with equally bad or worse, indeed we cleared out a couple of good ones and we didn’t replace them or bought worse.

Natural time to move on for the club and player i think.

In central midfield its only Gueye, Onana and Garner gaurenteed to be here next season, contract wise anyway.

Questions to be answered on Dele, The Duke, Gomes, Davies, Gbamin, Iwobi,
Just a casual £120m in fees and about £80m in wages spent on those lads. Build a third of a new stadium with that.

Just a casual £120m in fees and about £80m in wages spent on those lads. Build a third of a new stadium with that.

Mad thing nate is we spent the majority of that on trying to replace Gana who we sold 30 mill, then ended up bringing him back anyway. People at the time were telling me it was a cracking deal.

Same with Richarlson and Gordon, we will prob do the same.

Maybe there is a case to be made for not selling our best players or the assumption that we will reinvest and improve.

Mad thing nate is we spent the majority of that on trying to replace Gana who we sold 30 mill, then ended up bringing him back anyway. People at the time were telling me it was a cracking deal.

Same with Richarlson and Gordon, we will prob do the same.

Maybe there is a case to be made for not selling our best players or the assumption that we will reinvest and improve.

We need to get better at recruiting. I have to say it's a little worrying 2 of the targets we looked at, Cunha and Somenya look way off it to me.

That being said, McNeil at about 1/3 ofwhat we got for Gordon is increasingly looking like a good acquisition.

I'd be getting rid of both. Iwobi is an attacking midfielder with zero goal that, Doucouré would be wanting a two-year extension he hasn't earned that for me.

Just to play devils advocate here, but hasn't Iwobi got the most assists, and made the most chances of all players outside the top 6? I'm not sure we could afford to buy better at this point and he's been one of the best players in the league outside the "big 6" for chance creation.

Re Doucoure, I think he has a 1 year option mate that the club can take. If he stays fit, to me this is a no brainer. There's a third way between a new contract and letting him go.

Just to play devils advocate here, but hasn't Iwobi got the most assists, and made the most chances of all players outside the top 6? I'm not sure we could afford to buy better at this point and he's been one of the best players in the league outside the "big 6" for chance creation.

Re Doucoure, I think he has a 1 year option mate that the club can take. If he stays fit, to me this is a no brainer. There's a third way between a new contract and letting him go.

We need to get better at recruiting. I have to say it's a little worrying 2 of the targets we looked at, Cunha and Somenya look way off it to me.

That being said, McNeil at about 1/3 ofwhat we got for Gordon is increasingly looking like a good acquisition.

I trust our recruiting not a lot mate and it hasn't been reassured by an internal appointment as head of recruitment.

There will be a natural lifecycle, to a players time here, but a question needs to be posed on selling our best players so passively and acceptably here, we're prey for the likes of Levy - other teams say Spurs with Kane or Palace with Southampton haven't done it and held lines - Kanes prob kept Spurs in the CL and made them 100s of millions - Zaha prob kept Palace in the PL more then once likewise making 100s of millions. I'm not dogmatic on it i just want us to look at the value of it - imagine we held onto Lukaku for anther 5 year (hypothetically) or Richarlson until at least after the world cup....I accept players may want to move on - but i do think we are and are viewed as a soft touch and we analyse it wrong and we dont look at systemic value enough.

Last edited:
I trust our recruiting not a lot mate and it hasn't been reassured by an internal appointment as head of recruitment.

There will be a natural lifecycle, to a players time here, but a question needs to be posed on selling our best players so passively and acceptably here, we're prey for the likes of Levy - other teams say Spurs with Kane or Palace with Southampton haven't done it and held lines - Kanes prob kept Spurs in the CL and made them 100s of millions - Zaha prob kept Palace in the PL more then once likewise making 100s of millions. I'm not dogmatic on it i just want us to look at the value of it - imagine we held onto Lukaku for anther 5 year (hypothetically) or Richarlson until at least after the world cup....I accept players may want to move on - but i do think we are and are viewed as a soft touch and we analyse it wrong and we dont look at systemic value enough.

The problem is mate, is structurally the club has to sell players to be viable financially.

I agree with you, but it's not a luxury we have.

He tops that assists list then, over some pretty good players?

I mean, I wouldnt be pushing him out the door personally.
Same as Pereira and Harrison, all 3 have 6 assists, quite a few also on 5 assists. We will see where he is at the end of the season. He doesn't seem to want to sign at the moment anyway, has told the club he wants to wait till the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.