2021/22 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good on him for staying, we have the right manager to develop him.
But our manager seems to think delph & Gomes are better options. And if Rafael has decided, then I’m not sure he’s changing his mind.

The end of the day, he’s played 130 games over 5yrs and isn’t first choice for team that’s just finished 10th after the season before finishing 12th. And he’s not even 3rd or 4th choice.

Basically get 15 mil for him could pay for a Bissouma for 50mil. Not that I would pay that for him, but you get my point.

Davies is a player who has moments of top quality and a lot of aspects to his game that are valuable. His interceptions are pretty good and his passing is underrated. Unfortunately he has been caught in possession a fair amount but I'm very happy he is here as a squad player and his desire to fight for the shirt is something that people shouldn't turn their nose up at. If he could play consistently as well as he did vs spurs then he would be one of the best 6's in the league.

Davies is a player who has moments of top quality and a lot of aspects to his game that are valuable. His interceptions are pretty good and his passing is underrated. Unfortunately he has been caught in possession a fair amount but I'm very happy he is here as a squad player and his desire to fight for the shirt is something that people shouldn't turn their nose up at. If he could play consistently as well as he did vs spurs then he would be one of the best 6's in the league.
But like I’ve mentioned in my previous post, selling a Davies & Gomes next summer. Gets us a top class midfielder. Selling Holgate and one of Mina/Keane get us a top class CB. I accept is was a difficult window to shift players this summer, next summer should be easier.

But this is what the club should be doing, clever deals. Getting rid of your 4th choice CB and 5th choice midfielder and improving the starting 11. Instead of holding on to a lad who’s 23 abs had 10 great games out of a 130. And hoping he may improve.

But like I’ve mentioned in my previous post, selling a Davies & Gomes next summer. Gets us a top class midfielder. Selling Holgate and one of Mina/Keane get us a top class CB. I accept is was a difficult window to shift players this summer, next summer should be easier.

But this is what the club should be doing, clever deals. Getting rid of your 4th choice CB and 5th choice midfielder and improving the starting 11. Instead of holding on to a lad who’s 23 abs had 10 great games out of a 130. And hoping he may improve.
Fair point but given our transfer record I'm not so confident of us executing this. I think that he should improve especially if he is focused as a number 6 and those players can improve into mid twenties. Of course if he isn't getting game time that could be a concern regarding development. There is a player there though I think.

Fair point but given our transfer record I'm not so confident of us executing this. I think that he should improve especially if he is focused as a number 6 and those players can improve into mid twenties. Of course if he isn't getting game time that could be a concern regarding development. There is a player there though I think.
Not for me, but all about opinions. Just after being in and around the team for 5yrs abs after finishing 12th then 10th abs he’s still 4th choice at best. You’d have to say, the writing is on the wall

Not for me, but all about opinions. Just after being in and around the team for 5yrs abs after finishing 12th then 10th abs he’s still 4th choice at best. You’d have to say, the writing is on the wall
This may be true.
In the last game he had a different role and put the through ball for the goal. Like quite a few of our players, the change in playing style may suit him.
I do think he needs to think about his own career now. Sitting on a bench for a whole career is probably not the most rewarding or sensible thing to do.

This may be true.
In the last game he had a different role and put the through ball for the goal. Like quite a few of our players, the change in playing style may suit him.
I do think he needs to think about his own career now. Sitting on a bench for a whole career is probably not the most rewarding or sensible thing to do.
I’d rather us have 4 quality midfielders for 2 places and 2 youngsters as back up. Than have 2 quality midfielders and 4 pros on good money, who aren’t good enough or for ever injured.

Are midfield will look a lot different next season IMO. Gomes & Davies sold, delph gone. And Gbamin will depend on how he does this season.

I’d rather us have 4 quality midfielders for 2 places and 2 youngsters as back up. Than have 2 quality midfielders and 4 pros on good money, who aren’t good enough or for ever injured.

Are midfield will look a lot different next season IMO. Gomes & Davies sold, delph gone. And Gbamin will depend on how he does this season.
Sigurdss and Delph will be gone.
Gomes and Davies may or may not go, it depends on the offers.
Gbamin will stay, I think. I can’t see anyone taking him.

I dont think it's harsh I think it's spot on,.he's decent and ok but what I mean is he doesn't excel at anything.

Like, doucoure has the pace and power to be a box to box, Allan is boss at winning the ball back and is actually very under rated on the ball, but what's Davies main attribute? Like he just sort of comes in and does a job but doesn't really do anything
Ok fair enough but what you said was 'doesn't really do anything well does he' which is a very different claim to not excelling. What is his main attribute? I suppose he's a tidy midfielder that can take the ball from the defense, avoid the press and doesn't lose the ball often. Protects the ball well and wins fouls in doing so. Like I said he's no Allan or Doucoure but he's a decent squad player and I see no reason to boot him out if he wants to stay and fight for his place, more power to him. He was the best Allan replacement last season for that period of a few months. One thing I say about him is I'm neither worried nor excited when I see him in the starting line up. Tidy player without being a world beater

Status
Not open for further replies.