2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im seeing arguments that Davies was excellent last night.

Can I just say he actually wasn’t, but was better than normal. Forward passing shouldn’t be seen as a “positive”, it should be a given for a central midfielder.

Love the lad, he’s a good kid, but how many other premier league midfields does he get into, then I think you’ve answered my point.

Sad really, but when fans buzz over slightly better, then it’s time to move on, at least from having him as a regular starter.
When fans can pick out his good games, I think that tells, us everything.

He’s been around the team for 5yrs and played nearly 150 games. The performance tonight was good 7/10. But that should be his level 9 games out of 10. Not 2 out of 10. And he’s should have a few 8/9 out of 100 thrown in.

He still wasn’t perfect tonight, sloppy first 20 and his forward passing was ok, not great.
Did Spurs play a low block and leave him with more time on the ball? unlike Brighton.

You would think he’d turned into a prime Roy Keane last night, by some of the comments . The bar is set so low by some fans. A half decent performance is lauded.

Like some have also said, if Tom plays 30 league games next season we won’t be anywhere near top 4. To be fair he’s not the only one, who shouldn’t be in our team next season.

If he can consistenly perform like he did last night he can be a very valuable squad player. But can he achieve that consistency ?
he does a lot of stuff that makes the team function that isn't easily noticed. He's busy when we don't have the ball, he makes himself available when we do, even if he then gets the ball in a tight situation. Look how/where he takes the ball from the defence compared to the other midfielders, he is more advanced, so if he has chance to turn, he is beyond the front press of the forwards and into the midfield and our attack can speed up. Our other midfielders pick it up much deeper and have to play through the front line of the press. He loses the ball sometimes, every one does. I wouldn't be surprised if Carlo sees TD as having an important role for quite some time until all the other areas of the pitch are significantly improved.

If he can consistenly perform like he did last night he can be a very valuable squad player. But can he achieve that consistency ?
TBF mate I think he's improved his consistency this season, it's been a while since he had an off game, even last night it appeared he was off as a result of a tactical switch.

Like some have also said, if Tom plays 30 league games next season we won’t be anywhere near top 4. To be fair he’s not the only one, who shouldn’t be in our team next season.

I actually think he can play against everyone except the players I mentioned without being a liability. I mean, he went 90 in the Arsenal and Anfield wins. Note that this is not the same as saying that he would be an asset.

he does a lot of stuff that makes the team function that isn't easily noticed. He's busy when we don't have the ball, he makes himself available when we do, even if he then gets the ball in a tight situation. Look how/where he takes the ball from the defence compared to the other midfielders, he is more advanced, so if he has chance to turn, he is beyond the front press of the forwards and into the midfield and our attack can speed up. Our other midfielders pick it up much deeper and have to play through the front line of the press.

I will say that the one thing I do think he has started doing really well is moving off the ball when in possession. This is very noticeable when out there with Sigurdsson or Gomes.

TBF mate I think he's improved his consistency this season, it's been a while since he had an off game, even last night it appeared he was off as a result of a tactical switch.
I agree that he has improved this season.

However he is still very inconsistent.

All about opinions but I thought he was ( in line with most of the team ) poor against Brighton and good last night.

Does having Allan next to him make him feel that he has more security and licence ?

There were a couple of reasons that we didn't win last night. Tom Davies is neither of them.
Can understand the criticisms when a player plays badly, but Davies getting stick for his performance last night is just mad.
All about opinions I suppose.

He did fail to close the cross down for the second goal because he couldn’t be arsed to close a man down a yard away from him but yeah apart from that he was fine. Oh and he gave the ball away in the build up to the first goal also, but yeah apart from that he was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.