2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sign of how low the bar is set for Davies when people are praising that performance. He passed the ball backwards and sideways under very little pressure.

And just like that, Tom Davies became first name on the team sheet against Watford.

People were falling over themselves to praise Schneiderlin for doing exactly that in 3 games at the end of last season.

It's grim. People will praise this kind of thing but will also question why we don't get closer to the top 6.

Sign of how low the bar is set for Davies when people are praising that performance. He passed the ball backwards and sideways under very little pressure.

We'd had a man sent off, retaining the ball was key at that point, I thought he was calm and assured in possession, a couple of times he recieved the ball under pressure, turned his man and was fouled as he was getting away, not sure what people expect from a 21 year old in 20 minutes with his team down to ten men.

We'd had a man sent off, retaining the ball was key at that point, I thought he was calm and assured in possession, a couple of times he recieved the ball under pressure, turned his man and was fouled as he was getting away, not sure what people expect from a 21 year old in 20 minutes with his team down to ten men.

Sadly no matter what Tom does he won’t ever get the praise because some people have made there minds up already and won’t ever change it whatever he does,how anyone can criticise what he did yesterday he’s beyond me,he broke play up he kept possession he was really good for us last 20

D boy come on, sprayed d passes around, set up 3 goals, scored a screamer from his own half but ee got a yellow. Really let the side down local boy wiv dat yellow, ee's a liability, we need better next window. NSNO

See? They'd still find something to moan about from their armchairs.

Sadly no matter what Tom does he won’t ever get the praise because some people have made there minds up already and won’t ever change it whatever he does,how anyone can criticise what he did yesterday he’s beyond me,he broke play up he kept possession he was really good for us last 20

But he didnt pass forward enough apparently, we were sitting deep playing a defense block with ten men, we'd taken off our number 10, had a 19 year old kid upfront, whilst his midfield partner also on debut was looking a bit gittery, not getting on the new players back here but finding any fault with Tom's performance yesterday is ridiculous, He did fine.

Until other midfielders are going to be brave enough to get on the ball and move us forward with their passing then Tom is going to continue to get into the squad and is going to continue to be an option off the bench.

Davies will always divide opinions and I suspect will do so for years to come. Yesterday was a good example of why, at 21, he’s played over 60 PL games under 4 different managers. Simply put, he goes into a situation, under stands what is needed and does what the manager instructs him to do in any of the midfield positions. He’s not brilliant, doesn’t score or create enough goals , is frustrating beyond at times and given our recent signings he’ll find it hard to get starting spots this season but he’s ideal for our bench. People’s expectations are often unrealistic, we all want to break into the top 4/6 regularly but we don’t have infinite resources and this is where the likes of Tom Davies come into their own, having him around allows us to spend money on the key positions while letting players like McCarthy go. Love him or hate him I suspect he’ll be around for a while.

Davies will always divide opinions and I suspect will do so for years to come. Yesterday was a good example of why, at 21, he’s played over 60 PL games under 4 different managers. Simply put, he goes into a situation, under stands what is needed and does what the manager instructs him to do in any of the midfield positions. He’s not brilliant, doesn’t score or create enough goals , is frustrating beyond at times and given our recent signings he’ll find it hard to get starting spots this season but he’s ideal for our bench. People’s expectations are often unrealistic, we all want to break into the top 4/6 regularly but we don’t have infinite resources and this is where the likes of Tom Davies come into their own, having him around allows us to spend money on the key positions while letting players like McCarthy go. Love him or hate him I suspect he’ll be around for a while.

For me he is very reminiscent of Rodwell or Barkley; you feel he has the attributes in there to be a good player, but what kind of good player no one knows. He doesn't seem to be excelling enough at anything to cement a clear role or forté in the midfield.

However unlike Rodwell I think he actually has a footballing brain, and unlike Ross he has an actual brain, so there's hope for him yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.