2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I played poker to a reasonable level what got you to the end of tournaments was sensing the moment. When it was the right time to "tighten up", be more aggressive, play more hands, avoid getting involved, when to bluff and when to avoid it etc. While you can have a generic understanding of what to do when, you also get a feel for these things.

In a football sense, this could be seen as when is the right time to be dribbling towards your own corner flag, or pulling people down, and when is the right time to put your foot through it.

I don't think Davies picks up on the flow of games. That's the biggest criticism I can level at him. He does lots of things well, but he doesn't read the context of games at all.

He wasn't helped yesterday, Digne gave him a hospital ball at 2-0, for reasons unbeknown to me. However had Irwin given that pass to keane, he lashes it out and has a serious word with Irwin. I didn't see, but I'm not sure Davies said anything? Diane has to take some culpability too.

The problem is, that it happens much too often with Tom. It happened with Brighton. He makes a sloppy pass. The situation dictated just push the ball past the players towards the corner flag and chase. It just doesn't seem to resonate with him at all.

The disappointing part is he has natural ability. You look at say Henderson for that lot across the park, and you have a polar opposite footballer. Similar ability (perhaps even less ability) but goodness me does he know how to squeeze ever ounce of talent out of himself and does he grasp the flow and situation of a match.

I'm lost with this team and players like Davies. I've seen much worse teams than this, and much worse players than him (Thomson, Mitch Ward, Everton through the 90's) however none of those players would make the poor decisions he does. I'm a bit flabbergasted with it all.
To me they are taken off the streets too young and coached too much
I played on the street with Liam Brady ( yes that Liam Brady in Whitehall Dublin )
We played with lampposts and walls for goals , 20 a side , 10am till 10 pm , players from 10 yrs of age till 16
You soon learned how to protect yourself and the ball
You learned the basics very quickly

Make a mistake and you got a bollocking
Next goal the winner and when a new lad arrived it was next goal got him

As an 12 yr old playing against 16 yr old Brady stood out a mile
A footballing brain is something you either have or haven’t got

I played on the street with Liam Brady ( yes that Liam Brady in Whitehall Dublin )
We played with lampposts and walls for goals , 20 a side , 10am till 10 pm , players from 10 yrs of age till 16

Sorry to diverge from the main topic, but the 20-a-side, 12 hour games reminded me of right back in the early 1060s when I played in the street and elsewhere without being able to see more than 25% of the 'pitch' because of the darkness. Playing in goal, you had to judge where the ball was by the noise of voices, and then you'd gradually see dim figures emerge from the murk, with finally a dim image of the ball. Happy, chaotic days!

Sorry to diverge from the main topic, but the 20-a-side, 12 hour games reminded me of right back in the early 1060s when I played in the street and elsewhere without being able to see more than 25% of the 'pitch' because of the darkness. Playing in goal, you had to judge where the ball was by the noise of voices, and then you'd gradually see dim figures emerge from the murk, with finally a dim image of the ball. Happy, chaotic days!
It would have been late 60s early 70s I played those games
Less traffic on the roads
School playgrounds or the church car park when traffic got busier
Anybody play foot tennis on the street using the tarmac lines as the net

Not 1060s - even I'm not that old.

This is the best football. While at Uni in Southampton in the 80s, every sunday lunchtime people aged between 16 and 80 would turn up at the common, put some jumpers down, divide the teams equally and kick off. Sometimes 8 a side, sometimes 15 or 20. Brilliant days.

Does anyone still think he’s good enough? Would be interested in hearing their thoughts (excuses) if they do.
No he’s not
He’s had 100 games and not kicked on
I’ve never been a fan of DCL but I can see a vast improvement in him in less games.
DCL could prove me wrong and go on to be a very good striker with 15-20 a season but never in the same class as Kane , Aguero and Vardy
Davies on the other hand will never be a top 10 clubman in the PL
Sad to. Say but I’ll be disappointed if he gets a place on the bench when we move to BMD

Does anyone still think he’s good enough? Would be interested in hearing their thoughts (excuses) if they do.
Nope. Never have done. As mentioned by an earlier poster he has zero footballing attributes. I thought he at least had 'effort' for a while but recently he just jogs around giving the ball away, giving away needless fouls and picking up the odd silly yellow card.

I've said it before, I don't think he'd get in any other premier league side.

buddy v cool story but
3ECDA10D-03CC-4463-A590-6865F9123D10.jpeg

buddy v cool story but
View attachment 77276
Yes and he was 12-13-14 playing on the streets of Whitehall in Dublin
Played for St Kevins Boys
Got suspended from St Aidan’s. secondary school when he refused to play Gaelic football for them and played a soccer match instead
Don’t know what you’re implying but I said he was 12 playing against 16 yr olds and stood out
He was hardly going to stand out as a 16 yr old playing against 12 yr olds

By the way I might act the maggot on here but I don’t tell lies

Yes and he was 12-13-14 playing on the streets of Whitehall in Dublin
Played for St Kevins Boys
Got suspended from St Aidan’s. secondary school when he refused to play Gaelic football for them and played a soccer match instead
Don’t know what you’re implying but I said he was 12 playing against 16 yr olds and stood out
He was hardly going to stand out as a 16 yr old playing against 12 yr olds

By the way I might act the maggot on here but I don’t tell lies
ok i accept this buddy and i am sure they were great matches especially that one where you scored a diving header from the half way.

Status
Not open for further replies.