2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fine mate, no problem with that.

It's the weird people that think theres a link between the fact he rides a skateboard and him not being Messi that are the problem.

Some might say it's shows a slight lack of dedication. Could you imagine say a young Frank Lampard on a skateboard wearing pyjamas ? He may be dedicated to improvement but the image he is casting out to people is quite carefree.

Some might say it's shows a slight lack of dedication. Could you imagine say a young Frank Lampard on a skateboard wearing pyjamas ? He may be dedicated to improvement but the image he is casting out to people is quite carefree.
Baines looked like a Paul Weller knock off and liked to see himself as an "artistè". But still was the best left back in the league for about 4 years.

What they do in their personal lives, unless it goes full Van Der Meyde/Drenthe/Gibson, has little effect on what they do on a football pitch.

And what clothes they wear definitely has no say on it.

Baines looked like a Paul Weller knock off and liked to see himself as an "artiste". But still was the best left back in the league for about 4 years.

What they do in their personal lives, unless it goes full Van Der Meyde/Drenthe/Gibson, has little effect on what they do on a football pitch.

And what clothes they wear definitely has no say on it.
Exactly Baines was but Tom Davies isn't the best. I think it does to be the best at your chosen craft you have to be willing to make sacrifices. That means no more 3am keep ups on Bold street anymore etc. The clothes, no that wasn't my point at all I think you've missed what I mean to be honest.

Ive got nonissue with what Everton players wear but I think you’re right in that i’ll be surprised if any Everton players are training as hard as Lampard used to. Lampard has little pace, and not a whole load of guile but he made himself undroppable by guaranteeing goals every season through working on finishing off both feet, set pieces, and timing runs into the box. I don’t see any of this from Davies or any other Everton midfielders.

Ive got nonissue with what Everton players wear but I think you’re right in that i’ll be surprised if any Everton players are training as hard as Lampard used to. Lampard has little pace, and not a whole load of guile but he made himself undroppable by guaranteeing goals every season through working on finishing off both feet, set pieces, and timing runs into the box. I don’t see any of this from Davies or any other Everton midfielders.
??? Don't see how any one can use this as a criticism tbh. 1) We don't see him in training, and hardly in games lately. 2) You're comparing what Lampard turned in to at his peak to Davies at 20. If in 5/6 years he hasn't shown any improvements it might be a legitimate criticism, but at the moment it is completely unfounded imo.

??? Don't see how any one can use this as a criticism tbh. 1) We don't see him in training, and hardly in games lately. 2) You're comparing what Lampard turned in to at his peak to Davies at 20. If in 5/6 years he hasn't shown any improvements it might be a legitimate criticism, but at the moment it is completely unfounded imo.

Well not at the moment no. Can you name one aspect of his game that has improved since he burst into the scene? He looks to have lost the slightly aggressive edge that actually made him effective, he seems to have lost the youthful confidence that shrugged off Toure during that goal, he gets into goal scoring positions even less than he was doing in his first season.

He’s in danger of just morphing into Tom Cleverley unless he kicks on. I take your point about him still only being young but if I remember Lampard was praised by Redknapp at 17 and tipped for the top due to his work ethic. Davies has been kept out of the team by model professional Morgan Schneiderlin recently.

I say all of this as a fan of Davies. When he burst on the scene I thought his off the cuff technique was great and in the right system he could allow us to play some really fluid football with a proper evertonian in the centre with character and aggression. Last couple of seasons though all of those good traits have disappeared. He’s as cautious with the ball as everyone else now, any aggression he had seems to have gone, and like I said he barely threatens goal anymore.

He’ll be an impact sub this season and hopefully he can kick in but when he first arrived I thought I was looking at a player better than Barkley was as a complete midfielder. It hasn’t happened yet though.

Exactly Baines was but Tom Davies isn't the best. I think it does to be the best at your chosen craft you have to be willing to make sacrifices. That means no more 3am keep ups on Bold street anymore etc. The clothes, no that wasn't my point at all I think you've missed what I mean to be honest.
It’s the equivalent of lewis Hamilton driving round somewhere in a F1 car and acting a prat, or a boxer walking round town shadow Boxing, basically your just asking for trouble and making your profession look ridiculous

At Tom's age Baines was in and out of the team at Wigan in the Championship.

But dosent one lead to the other? Maybe if he was doing better in training he might get more game time? or at least when he has had time he hasnt exactly sold himself to Marco.
There was only 3 games last season he wasnt in the squad, in fact he was an unused sub 19 times, which says a lot about him

He's likely to have competition from Joe Williams this upcoming season

Silva apparently kept tabs on him whilst he was on loan at Bolton and was said to be impressed

Joe Williams, 21, Bolton: Williams has started all but Bolton’s first league match, and Phil Parkinson has described him as “a great all-round midfield player” who “is confident and good on the ball”. Silva has spoken of his admiration and a return to the first-team fold at Everton is not out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.