Throwing out the baby with the bath water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bin
  • Williams - for any fee to get him off the wage bill
  • Mori - if he has a good world cup his stock will be high. Easily get £15m I think
  • Schnedierlin - I think we could get £25m for him from the likes of West Ham (who bid £20m in Jan)
  • Klassan - if we can get £15m from Napoli we will have done well. He is definitely suited to a slower league.
  • Sandro - Need him off this wage bill. £120k. £5-10m
  • Rooney - if we can get £12m for him and £160k off the wage bill this is a no-brainer. He is only going to get worse.
  • Bolasie - Anything above £10m for this show pony. Palace if they sell Zaha can have a "legend" back.
  • DCL - loan
  • Galloway, Williams, Browning, Dowell - secure a championship loan and ensure they will all play.
  • Mirallas - Surely a promoted team would have him. £5-10m

Keep
  • Jags - use him if needed next season. 4th choice CB.
  • Davies - absolute nonsense to consider othwerwise
  • Baines - unless we sign a top, top left back. Would be great as cover though. I would let him choose though, like Barry.
  • Keane - will come good under a good manager and with a quality partner
  • Niasse - got a goal in him
  • McCarthy - Doubt anyone will pay £20m for him because of his injury record. I have always said him and Gana would be decent as a midfield 2.
  • Steklenburg - keep if he is ok with being no.2
We could raise up to £80m from player sales and get some huge earners off the wage bill. If Mosh commits £100m on top of that we could look at top signings like Lozano, Rodriquez (AC left back), a top CM, top CB and a top striker.

8 out, 5 in. Over to your Marcel & Marco....

We have to make sure that the players we buy will improve that position. So if we buy a left back he has to be an improvement on Baines. But they have to fit the style that we want to play.
Deciding the style and replacements is easy, it’s getting those replacements to the club that will be difficult.

To answer the original question, I would decide a style and then decide which players we’ve got that will fit that style. Get rid of the rest no matter who they are.

We need Brands to be a calm steady hand that's not going to panic and do anything rash. Only then will I trust him to fire a canon full of the lot of them.

Bin any bad influences if poss.

Otherwyse, get new players, bench the others, start winning with he new guys then the voices of the old nuisances will never be listened-to.

It's the attitude that concerns me more than the performances. We're not really party to those with negative influence on the rest of the squad, as such it's very difficult to second guess who will be released.

I'd guess that attitude over performance will be the prioritization when Mr Brands begins his cull of the squad.

That and who is going to take some of these miscreants off our hands?

Reactions: Tak
Last season was awful. Consistently mediocre displays and forgettable games.

And yet, we finished 8th. Not great by any stretch, but a pretty average and respectable finishing position for the club.

We would all like to improve, and we are seeing a complete overhaul of the management structure, and are likely to witness a complete overhaul of the playing staff too.

My question is this - Should we keep hold of the base of players who have shown they are the 8th best in the country? A safety net if you like. Or should we rip it up completely and replace them (likely) with foreign imports?

Nobody disputes that those who did not contribute last season need to go - the likes of Mirallas, Besic, Sandro, Browning etc.

But - if we decide to lose a string of players who did contribute - players like Rooney, Baines, Jags, Keane and even the much maligned likes of Schneiderlin, Williams, Bolasie, DCL (I know i’ve said he needs a loan) and Niasse, are we throwing away a safety net?

If we lose a core of the team and then sign a load of flops like Klassen, Sandro (and yes) Vlasic. Where does that leave us?

I think we should hold on to Rooney, Baines, Jags, Niasse and possibly even Schneiderlin at the very least, even if they are just filling the bench.

Just a thought. (Its difficult to make a case for Williams and Bolasie tbh)

Think we finished eighth, not because we deserved to, but because every team below us was really poor, apart from the top six, the premier league is incredibly average.

Status
Not open for further replies.