2020/21 Theo Walcott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I’ll stick my neck out and say that the £15m we paid for Walcott was worth it.
He’s popped up a few times with Valuable goals for us, and in the season under Allardyce somehow managed to rejuvenate a midfield which was managed by Allardyce.

Ultimately it hasn’t been a roaring success, in fact it’s regularly been so frustrating to even imagine, but when you consider we paid double for Iwobi, treble for Sigurdsson and £9m more for Klaassen, when he does leave he’ll go with my best wishes.
People seem to forget this, Walcott wasn't signed to be a world class, 20+ goal striker or rip 'em apart winger. 15m hasn't bought you that for decades.
He remains a fustrating player, often makes bad decisions, but also has suffered years of unrealistic expectations.
He's actually exactly what Soton wanted him for. A good, experienced backup/substitute player with some skill who can be used in more than one position. They have got a bloody bargain this season, but he's worth so much more to them. He's now playing for a gig next season so will appear more interested I guess.

The slight irony is his usefulness at EFC would've been due to injury/suspensions, but hindsight is aways a wonderful thing. It's one of the most difficult managerial tasks, maintaining decent backup players and keeping them motivated, without them getting fustrated by not starting regularly.

We’re paying Southampton 50k a week, so he can join them on a free. Or maybe go somewhere else, either way, paying 50k a week to hand your rival a good forward when we are lacking in good forwards is one of the biggest dikkhead moves we have ever, ever done.

It’s worse than selling Beardsley when he still had years of quality left.

I think selling Beardsley was much worse.
If Theo goes on to have a good season then I’ll hold my hands up

southampton aren't our rival though, just because they've won a couple doesn't mean they'll be competing us for european places, just because they beat us doesn't mean that either
They’re are rivals alright. They finished above us last season and it will be absolutely no surprise if they do so again.

Must be all them big value and big name signings they brought in
Yep, exactly like what Man Utd did with Pogba.
Big names for big money does not guarantees nothing if they don't fit in with the teams way of playing. Sometime getting someone for a good price can work out the better option.
I not saying Saints have been faultless at this but considering what we've spent to where we are at the moment I'm quite happy with that. Even if we don't end up qualifying for Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.