2019/20 Theo Walcott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walcott's force as a football player has always been the speed, but he has little to contribute beyond that. The problem is that Walcott is not so fast anymore, nor does he dare to use the little speed he has left. Instead of the hopeless pass he had yesterday, he could use his speed, forcing the defender to make a choice, and then either go on goal himself or pass. This choice tells a lot about Walcott as a football player.

DCL’s chance sums him up. Alls he had to do was trap the ball and either turn and shoot or lay it off. Instead he manages to simultaneously get the ball caught under him and shin it (I’m not entirely sure this has ever been done before in all of human history) and then it fumbles to DCL off a Liverpool player. Every time he gets in that final third position and has to provide the crucial ball I always end up shouting the same thin: “how are you SO bad?!”

He was probably our best player in the first half providing dangerous crosses which might have been converted. Even in the second half he got a good one over.
He wasn't the worst guy out there.

I think Walcott gets so much stick because he is so wasteful in good positions. It's like if you could make a few tweaks to his brain he'd be a very good footballer but instead he'll get in behind really well and inevitably mess it all up.

His absolute mis-control of that pass to Richarlison in the first half and his ball in the second half that he hit too hard are the two main examples but he was wasteful throughout and always has been for us. The odd one is forgiveable but unfortunately, it is the only thing he is consistent at.

Annoyed me that the commentator kept saying it was the best performance he'd seen from Walcott in an everton shirt... says something about the rest of his performances.

He was probably our best player in the first half providing dangerous crosses which might have been converted. Even in the second half he got a good one over.
He wasn't the worst guy out there.
100% agree with this, however, he is singled out by many because of his reluctance (refusal) to apply the many gifts he has. His pace remains electric, but he never uses it enough, he has a very good shot on him, but lacks the courage to shoot at goal, he tracks back, but does not intervene or force the opponent to get rid of the ball. In short, he is a supremely talented individual who is utterly lacking in terms of heart or commitment.

100% agree with this, however, he is singled out by many because of his reluctance (refusal) to apply the many gifts he has. His pace remains electric, but he never uses it enough, he has a very good shot on him, but lacks the courage to shoot at goal, he tracks back, but does not intervene or force the opponent to get rid of the ball. In short, he is a supremely talented individual who is utterly lacking in terms of heart or commitment.
I don't understand why he's constantly picked as a winger, despite having none of the trickery or finesse required to have an impact in wide positions.

Either play him up front or get rid.

At 30 years old, you'd have thought he'd have developed a footballing brain by now - wouldn't you?
He was called out by the Five Live sports guy this morning. "Take Walcott" he said. Couldn't get a regular game for Arsenal. His England career over so comes to Everton for an easy pay day knowing that the expectations of the club are neutral.
Harsh but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.