Votes: 690 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 241 23.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 112 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Moyes era we made a load of signings in a short period that had long-term value: Cahill, Arteta, Jagielka, Baines, Lescott, Pienaar. These players became the core of a decent team, all excellent investments.

It scares me that now we have more money we lurch to spending the bulk of that money on short-term value instead of trying to use it to build something longer term.

For comparison Spurs two big transfers in the summer were aurier and sanchez, who are 24 and 21 respectively and represent long-term value. There are exceptions of course but generally when Spurs spend they spend on younger players.

Players like Son, Ben Davies, Alderweireld, Wanyama in previous seasons. You're telling me we can't attract players like that until we have Walcott?

You’re cherry picking the best bits of Moyes and Spurs Transfers over the years. They have bought plenty of duds in that time and also plenty of ‘experienced’ players.

We’ve bought Keane, Ramirez, Klassen, Pickford, Lookman & Vlasic in the last 12 months, who were all 20-24, so hardly a geriatric only transfer policy.

In the Moyes era we made a load of signings in a short period that had long-term value: Cahill, Arteta, Jagielka, Baines, Lescott, Pienaar. These players became the core of a decent team, all excellent investments.

It scares me that now we have more money we lurch to spending the bulk of that money on short-term value instead of trying to use it to build something longer term.

For comparison Spurs two big transfers in the summer were aurier and sanchez, who are 24 and 21 respectively and represent long-term value. There are exceptions of course but generally when Spurs spend they spend on younger players.

Players like Son, Ben Davies, Alderweireld, Wanyama in previous seasons. You're telling me we can't attract players like that until we have Walcott?

Onyekuru, Lookman, Calvert-Lewin, Vlasic, Sandro. All bought with an eye to the future. Add to that existing players like Kenny and Davies and a bunch of youth players who have been signed. Even throw in Pickford and Klaassen who are both relatively young.

So what are you worried about? We have been doing exactly what you want.

Walcott is younger than Sanchez. And £30million plus is being asked for many players in their late 20s early30s. For £20 million Walcott could turn out to be a very good deal indeed. Sam is tweaking the squad in the right way,and his two additions have made us a lot stronger. A left sided defender now and it is a very good window,particulary if we can get rid of a few who are surplus to requirements.
Walcott IS younger than Sanchez, but United have a lot more money than us and are still competing in three competitions this year. If you are competing for trophies then investing short term might make sense - if Sanchez wins them the champs league he's good value. Walcott might help us finish 8th instead of 9th this season.

I’m not sure what he’s on at Arsenal (£110k?) but I bet we’re matching it at least.

Think the figures I've seen are £105-110k mate, but he's supposedly on 120k p/wk there. But yeh, just about matching it probably if you include bonuses etc.

Anyway, the point still stands - he could just have easily stayed there.

Onyekuru, Lookman, Calvert-Lewin, Vlasic, Sandro. All bought with an eye to the future. Add to that existing players like Kenny and Davies and a bunch of youth players who have been signed. Even throw in Pickford and Klaassen who are both relatively young.

Spot on this. We have loads of up and coming young players, who have already played for the first team. Am not worrying the average age of our squad, at all.

I said we were spending the bulk of our money on older players. How much did those 5 you've named cost compared to Sigurdsson, Bolasie, Walcott, Schneiderlin, Williams (ffs).

To be honest it would bother me a lot less if the older players we were buying were actually any good. It's depressing just writing out that list of no marks.

I
Nonsense that he wants to play for Allarydce! I agree that it’s the correct thing to say but it translates to ‘you’re offering me a Contract I can’t refuse’ nothing to do with the manager or the club.
If you really want to be right go for it .
Several reliable reports indicate otherwise but I guess you know Theo and his wants and needs better
Or are you just guessing ? for the record making a statement without an evidence chain is also known as guessing which generally results in nonsense

Walcott IS younger than Sanchez, but United have a lot more money than us and are still competing in three competitions this year. If you are competing for trophies then investing short term might make sense - if Sanchez wins them the champs league he's good value. Walcott might help us finish 8th instead of 9th this season.

With a good run, we can look at 7th.....I think that only top six is beyond us this season. Any of Arsenal,Burnley,the RS,Spurs could go into meltdown. I think Leicester will stay strong, the quietly spoken manager seems to be getting the best out of them.

Keane, Holgate, Baningame etc.

Think the figures I've seen are £105-110k mate, but he's supposedly on 120k p/wk there. But yeh, just about matching it probably if you include bonuses etc.

Anyway, the point still stands - he could just have easily stayed there.
Of course he could, but he’s not wanted. why? I keep reading ‘19 goals’ last season so why are arsenal willing to let someone go who scored that many and also why isn’t he in the side?? Injuries? Attitude? Not good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.