Votes: 690 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 241 23.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 112 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
With an announcement expected this morning I want to express my concern about the speed this transfer has been completed – I find it reckless and irresponsible. We've not had 2 weeks of us offering less than the selling club want, said selling club have not demand more money after the deal was agreed, we appear to have met the players demands first time, the medical happened in a half a day without finding any problems like Leroy Fer exploding knee syndrome and not one paper has said expect an announcement in next 48 hours. This is not the Everton way!

Like who?

Bolasie was coming into the prime of his career when he got injured. He was signed at the right time. Whether he is good enough is a different matter but he was signed at the time you want players to sign. Siggy is a good player who still has years left if we play him in the right place. We need to get players like Walcott so we improve now and then can attract these “great players approaching their prime” that you speak of.
In the Moyes era we made a load of signings in a short period that had long-term value: Cahill, Arteta, Jagielka, Baines, Lescott, Pienaar. These players became the core of a decent team, all excellent investments.

It scares me that now we have more money we lurch to spending the bulk of that money on short-term value instead of trying to use it to build something longer term.

For comparison Spurs two big transfers in the summer were aurier and sanchez, who are 24 and 21 respectively and represent long-term value. There are exceptions of course but generally when Spurs spend they spend on younger players.

Players like Son, Ben Davies, Alderweireld, Wanyama in previous seasons. You're telling me we can't attract players like that until we have Walcott?

We used to amazed and shocked if we looked at a player worth 20 million.

If Everton even sniffed at a player at that price the fans would be dumbstruck.

Now that we are happy to pay 20 million some of you are moaning that we are gonna spend it!

Was mulling this last night, we have 8 players bought for over £20m now.

Well first of all Walcott is not past 30 is he?

I think you are doing a great disservice to Walcott too. His game is not just about pace, he does have other attributes.

Ryan Giggs did alright for himself beyond 30...

We are buying a proven premier league player in his prime and not for a lot of money really. We lack players like that right now but of course the way we are as a fanbase these days we have to moan before a player has even kicked a ball for us!

No wonder we are crap.
I don't think it's a "great" disservice to Walcott to say he's reliant on pace. Anyone familiar with his game would say the same. The point about lightweight pacey players with a history of injury problems, is that they usually don't last long.

I don't think I need to point out that Giggs is the exception rather than the rule.

In the Moyes era we made a load of signings in a short period that had long-term value: Cahill, Arteta, Jagielka, Baines, Lescott, Pienaar. These players became the core of a decent team, all excellent investments.

It scares me that now we have more money we lurch to spending the bulk of that money on short-term value instead of trying to use it to build something longer term.

For comparison Spurs two big transfers in the summer were aurier and sanchez, who are 24 and 21 respectively and represent long-term value. There are exceptions of course but generally when Spurs spend they spend on younger players.

Players like Son, Ben Davies, Alderweireld, Wanyama in previous seasons. You're telling me we can't attract players like that until we have Walcott?

Walcott is younger than Sanchez. And £30million plus is being asked for many players in their late 20s early30s. For £20 million Walcott could turn out to be a very good deal indeed. Sam is tweaking the squad in the right way,and his two additions have made us a lot stronger. A left sided defender now and it is a very good window,particulary if we can get rid of a few who are surplus to requirements.

Don't get how people can't see what awful transfer policy this is. A bunch of expensive, ageing second rate players isn't going to get us anywhere, and we'll be in big trouble in a couple of years time. It doesn't matter if Walcott improves us today, we aren't competing for anything this season anymore. We need to be thinking long term.

Imagine if instead of Walcott Bolasie and sigurdsson we'd bought a couple of great players approaching their prime that would be the core of the team for the next 5 years.
On your last sentence
Imagine if a couple of great players approaching their prime had WANTED to sign for us

I don't think it's a "great" disservice to Walcott to say he's reliant on pace. Anyone familiar with his game would say the same. The point about lightweight pacey players with a history of injury problems, is that they usually don't last long.

I don't think I need to point out that Giggs is the exception rather than the rule.

I didn't say that though. I said he has got more to his game than pace which is true.

We have a young pacy player in Lookman. Nowt wrong with having both of them, Walcott for the near future and Lookman beyond that with Lookman learning from Walcott.

He played 45 games last season. 41 the year before. His injury problems are in the past (obviously he will break down when he gets here because...well it's Everton).

I just think it's a mad one for people to be moaning about. But that's what we do these days so I guess it doesn't surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.