The Wall - stick or twist?

What should our back four be from now on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's done, has to be Keane/Mina flanked by Holgate and Godfrey. But we shouldn't have one set system anyway. Horses for courses.

Agreed. Sometimes, we need goals. Sometimes, we need to deny them and a point isn't a bad outcome. I'd call today one of those days, despite it being at home - getting a point kept us from losing touch with them entirely. Job #1 was to get something.

I think that the goal-chasing swap is as simple as inserting Digne at LB. Coleman is probably a spent force, so we're most likely playing a CB at RB unless there's a shock RB move to close the window.

We need to find the right balance. I personally don't want to watch this type of football, it goes against everything I like about the game. I would love 1-0's if we were attacking but I am not into backs to the wall defending. Saying that conceding 2 goals a game is also unsustainable so a balance must be found.

I would imagine this is what Carlo would eventually get too obviously, he doesn't have the greatest tool box granted but they are better than that performance 2nd half yesterday.

I'm ok with sticking with 4 CBs ... Godfrey and Digne in front of him, as long as Digne is on the pitch.

Issue isnt the back for .. its whats in front of it

* reads poll options *

* wtf is going on here ... oh... ohhhh ... ugh *

Are you some kind of sicko? Going left to right, rather than right to left.

Went for the wall as a back 4 works for our two CB , Godfrey and Holgate are doing a great job

But we need a GK that the back 4 is confident in , Pickford isn't

....no idea why Digne is RB in the options, so had to go for ‘Other’.

I’m possibly the biggest Godfrey supporter on here, but Digne has to play LB, I’d genuinely say I wouldn’t swap him for any LB in the league. It’s a testament to how good Godfrey is that Ancelotti has dovetailed Digne back into the team in an unfamiliar position, but that can’t continue.

I know folk say Digne is a very creative LM but he’s at least equally creative at LB so leave him there and play Richarlison on the left of midfield.

Godfrey will be our best CB for many years to come but until a spot becomes available (through injury or suspension to Mina or Keane) he should rotate RB spot with Coleman.

Can't play a back three that includes 2 of Keane and Mina mate.

A back three has to defend high, or it's pointless and just becomes a back five. So you need pace in it. You also ideally have a left-footer to add balance.

Leicester played it pretty well earlier in the season due to injuries, but had Evans (or at times Morgan) flanked by Fofana and Fuchs. While Fuchs isn't rapid, he's a full-back so knows the role and how to position himself, and is left footed. Fofana has pace.

Godfrey perhaps has learned more about playing that left channel, but can't have both of Keane and Mina in it, just not enough pace there.

If it's done, has to be Keane/Mina flanked by Holgate and Godfrey. But we shouldn't have one set system anyway. Horses for courses.

If the point is to win football games.

Then we need to not concede and score goals.

So immediately you look at the current back 4 and stick with it as they rarely give up chances.

We basically have this platform and we then choose another 6 outfield players who can both assist defensively and score.

I think it would be interesting to see how our current setup looks with Allan and Doucoure in midfield

....no idea why Digne is RB in the options, so had to go for ‘Other’.

I’m possibly the biggest Godfrey supporter on here, but Digne has to play LB, I’d genuinely say I wouldn’t swap him for any LB in the league. It’s a testament to how good Godfrey is that Ancelotti has dovetailed Digne back into the team in an unfamiliar position, but that can’t continue.

I know folk say Digne is a very creative LM but he’s at least equally creative at LB so leave him there and play Richarlison on the left of midfield.

Godfrey will be our best CB for many years to come but until a spot becomes available (through injury or suspension to Mina or Keane) he should rotate RB spot with Coleman.

Coleman? @Eggs COLEMAN :eek:

Holgate is a pretty poor RB. I'd use Godfrey. He's at least really good defending 1v1.
And he wants to get forward. He's limited atm on the left as he's very right footed so constantly has to turn back. Can see him overlapping Iwobi/James for fun on the right, if not to take a pass it would open up space for the RW (like Neville done constantly for Beckham).. and his pace tracking back is unreal.

Digne is too good going forward from left back to not play him when fully fit. Coming from deeper allows that cross field pass from James where our left winger has taken the opponent's right back in field.
We do look solid with the current set up but feel Digne is wasted a bit left mid. As for right back it's a toss up between Holgate and Godfrey, not sure Coleman can do it constantly anymore, even if he is the more attacking of the three.

Digne does not currently have the pace, since his injury, players run past him like he's stood still. Stick with the current back 4 and play Digne advanced on the left.

Next season, when he is fully fit, no question he is left back.

Agree with the people saying get Digne back to left back. Gives the team a viable way of carrying the ball up the pitch which was a struggle last night. Probably go Godfrey at RB because of current form and the physicality he brings.

Digne does not currently have the pace, since his injury, players run past him like he's stood still. Stick with the current back 4 and play Digne advanced on the left.

Next season, when he is fully fit, no question he is left back.
I agree to a point and think that is why he's been played left mid. Think he should be back to full fitness way sooner than next season though.

...yep. We need full backs who cross the halfway line and until we get a permanent replacement I still consider him our best conventional RB. We desperately need pace in the back four, so Godfrey would now be my first choice but at some point he has to play CB.

Why do we 'need' full backs to cross the half way line? It seems that our best run of games has been with the current system.

Also, Id say that if we went with 2 attacking full backs then we would need to change the current centre backs as well.

In Godfrey and Digne we have two players ideal to play CB and LB in a high line, if we add in an attacking right back then how to play Mina or Keane as they'd be done for pace. Possibly Holgate of course...

I dont really go with the idea that we 'do something in between'. Id rather we were able to mix it deep and / high but currently we dont have the personnel for a high line.

Holgate Mina Keane Digne

Or

??? Holgate Godfrey Digne

For me...

Status
Not open for further replies.