Kenny
Holgate
Galloway
Browning
Pennington
Connolly
Davies
Dowell

And more on the bench and some coming in to get 10-20mins gradually more and more each game until Koeman knew who he could have in the squad long term...who could be on the bench short term...and who could be a starter now.

Clearly, Holgate, Galloway and Davies have shown they can AT LEAST be on the pitch for us.

Thats 3 players who next season (as this is now a transitional year) who can be called upon.

Those 3 could easily be 5 or 6 by season end...thats our entire outfield bench.

Next season we could use our £££ to sign 3 top players and play the young lads around them like united did.

Holgate looked a class above in a couple of games, mainly Stoke where he was imperious.

Mate Uniteds team that they started featuring their youth players in had finished 2nd, 1st and 1st the three years prior and was comfortably the best and most consistant team at the time, they would go into games knowing they would win in 3rd gear comfortably, so it was easy to bring in those academy players and get them experience and confidence (which is the key thing), so when the older players moved on they where comfortable playing in a winning side

what your suggesting is more akin to bringing a load of young players into a team that looks a train wreck - more akin to what Villa tried to do and other teams who it went disastrous for. bring in the likes of 2-3 young players consistantly into the team and you could end up absolutely wrecking their development if their initial 5-6 games are heavy losses etc.

The list of young lads you put up mate

Browning is injured still - at least not back playing yet and is 23 by the end of the season
Pennington won't ever be good enough and is already 22
Dowell - not ready right now, and is having by all accounts an inferior season to last year
Galloway - can't get games for West Brom mate - because as a defender he isn't good enough yet, needs to be loaned somweher he will play first

Kenny - i'm a huge fan off, but to start him ahead of coleman would be utter madness
Connely - Not as good a centre back as Holgate, not as good a right back as Kenny is, don't see him really ever breaking into the squad long term - too many players ahead of him
Davies - should be getting games ahead of any of the backup centre mids - looks ready and physically up to the task as well, and is confident as anything
Holgate - looks the part, but was really poor last time he started againjst Norwich unless we change formation - asking him to be part of a centre back pairing will be huge pressure on the lad

In short mate, the young players we have aren't the new Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, Neville

Should some be getting more minutes than they are - maybe so, but to think that they are the magic solution is fooling yourself

No Zat, that team wouldn't smash most teams if there was full motivation behind it, it was a glorified pre season game for christ's sake. Don't get me wrong, Unsy's team has played some good stuff at that level and deservedly lead the table going into tonight's game, ironically against the same opposition as the first team lost to yesterday, but he is way too inexperienced to be taking charge of a team in one of the biggest leagues in the world on a full time basis

So, do you think we would be doing worse with him as manager this season so far?

Hang on?

When did i talk about Koeman in any way? I'm talking common sense here, 19 year old academy players are not suddenly ready to swap bolton's reserves for International footballers? That is the reality of it, not they magically get team ready, boltons or readings or even stokes reserves pale in comparison to playing against actually top level players.

Very very few players can actually just 'make it' as you seem to think half of our academy can do. So no, when clubs are lucky to get one first team player come through the academy and you expect us to bring 5 or 6 through, it is just realms better suited to video games.

Youre saying that XYZ cant get in the squad as theyre not good enough.

Koeman wouldnt put anyone in the team u21 unless he was forced to...ask Southampton fans lol

ergo youre using Koemans anti-u21 mindset to judge players who arent getting games.

Mate Uniteds team that they started featuring their youth players in had finished 2nd, 1st and 1st the three years prior and was comfortably the best and most consistant team at the time, they would go into games knowing they would win in 3rd gear comfortably, so it was easy to bring in those academy players and get them experience and confidence (which is the key thing), so when the older players moved on they where comfortable playing in a winning side

what your suggesting is more akin to bringing a load of young players into a team that looks a train wreck - more akin to what Villa tried to do and other teams who it went disastrous for. bring in the likes of 2-3 young players consistantly into the team and you could end up absolutely wrecking their development if their initial 5-6 games are heavy losses etc.

The list of young lads you put up mate

Browning is injured still - at least not back playing yet and is 23 by the end of the season
Pennington won't ever be good enough and is already 22
Dowell - not ready right now, and is having by all accounts an inferior season to last year
Galloway - can't get games for West Brom mate - because as a defender he isn't good enough yet, needs to be loaned somweher he will play first

Kenny - i'm a huge fan off, but to start him ahead of coleman would be utter madness
Connely - Not as good a centre back as Holgate, not as good a right back as Kenny is, don't see him really ever breaking into the squad long term - too many players ahead of him
Davies - should be getting games ahead of any of the backup centre mids - looks ready and physically up to the task as well, and is confident as anything
Holgate - looks the part, but was really poor last time he started againjst Norwich unless we change formation - asking him to be part of a centre back pairing will be huge pressure on the lad

In short mate, the young players we have aren't the new Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, Neville

Should some be getting more minutes than they are - maybe so, but to think that they are the magic solution is fooling yourself

No.

The question was, would Unsworth be doing better...meaning from the start of this season would he be doing better than Koeman.

Playing kids is one part...playing good winning football another.

Youre getting focused on starting 11 kids in the side...who knows how many unsworth would use??

He would imo be doing a far better job.

Whilst I am a fan of some of the under 23's and I am a big fan of Unsworth we were soundly beaten by Norwich's under 23's about 3 weeks ago, with Kenny, Dowell, Calvert-Lewin and Browning all in the squad. Perhaps that means if Norwich had played their u23's last season they would have won the league?

Youre saying that XYZ cant get in the squad as theyre not good enough.

Koeman wouldnt put anyone in the team u21 unless he was forced to...ask Southampton fans lol

ergo youre using Koemans anti-u21 mindset to judge players who arent getting games.
Again....No.

I'm not talking about Koeman in the slightest, who he does/doesn't play is down to him. I am basing it on common sense, which you clearly keep deflecting away just to mention Koeman over and over which is a little odd to be honest.

So no point in discussing it further, this is clearly an anti koeman thread in disguise ;)

Again....No.

I'm not talking about Koeman in the slightest, who he does/doesn't play is down to him. I am basing it on common sense, which you clearly keep deflecting away just to mention Koeman over and over which is a little odd to be honest.

So no point in discussing it further, this is clearly an anti koeman thread in disguise ;)

But, by saying XYZ isnt playing and would be if they are any good you are saying that the managers opinion is correct.

If that manager never plays u21 players unless he is forced to then almost ZERO youth players would be in the side...

Therefore youre basing the ability of players who should/could be in the side based on the managers opinion.

If a player comes in and is motm but is then dropped...is he not good enough ?

I think he needs to run our u23s...would be a fatal mistake for us to let him go elsewhere.

He could have an older head like Royle there to mentor him if he got the big job.

There's no pressure being U23 manager, we don't know how good he is. If we approach him and say if you can find a job you want being first team coach then you have our blessing with a view to gaining experience to take the job here I think that would benefit all.

It's highly unlikely that he would go from league one/championship level to a man utd/Arsenal next, so we should still be his number 1 choice especially with the attachment to the club.

As per Royle with Oldham.

Status
Not open for further replies.