The Sunday Sermon ; David Moyes .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another top notch sermon. Puts things into perspective. I'll have Moyes all day myself, just look at who would replace him if he were to go and then boo him I say. I hope he can do a bit of wheeling in the market next month as that's his strength and i'm sure whoever he brings in will improve on what we have, as is always the case.

as normal a great read it now part of my Sunday, like getting the paper, going the kids footy, going to me mams and now reading your sermon its that good.
i just was left thinking with that last bit something that has been on my mind for a while,if ginger goes and bk stays we are really looking like being in the poop big time, no money scrambling around for loans and gambling on kids we have never heard of, and are better player will want out, the likes of felli ,jags ,rodwell arnt going to waste there time playing for also rans, it a real worry that we are going down a very slippery slope. fa cup could be the last throw of the dice to keep hold or attract players and keep ginger

Thank you , mate .

From YOU that is a compliment .

Old Skool Evertonian , Edge , lid .

Another top notch sermon. Puts things into perspective. I'll have Moyes all day myself, just look at who would replace him if he were to go and then boo him I say. I hope he can do a bit of wheeling in the market next month as that's his strength and i'm sure whoever he brings in will improve on what we have, as is always the case.

Cheers , dude .

Sermon Cheer-Leader #1 , as ever .

People ; I Thank You ; YOU GET ME !!!

Seriously ; IT NEEDED SAYING .

Nor-Man ; Hope you're feeling better , Dude .

Wratho ; You like that , kid...??? Bab-eh !!!

Cheers , Dawgs . It's Christmas . we ALL have to do our bit .

Vero .

IT DID NEED SAYING.

Some have seemed to forgot themselves.

This thread needs stickying.

Do it D/D

First off, great post LCAB.

So I still believe that Moyes has taken us as far as he can.

The question isn't "has Moyes taken us as far as he can?" the question is "has Moyes taken us as far as anyone can?"

In the modern era there is exactly one example of a team with [Poor language removed]-all cash getting fourth (in case anyone forgets how much Spurs spent) and that is an Moyes-led Everton.

It is entirely possible, as disgusting a notion as this is, that there is no manager out there who could take a team which gets to spend 3.3M net per year (which is approx. Moyes net spend p/a thus far) into the Champions League.

There used to be four teams capable of spending big (on both transfers and wages -- don't ignore wages, the huge wage budget is a big part of Arsenal's success) -- there are now six.

Just because we don't like it doesn't mean it isn't true. Is it impossible to find another manager who can pull off that miracle? Maybe not impossible but it's a huge long shot.

Moyes frustrates me too at times but make no mistake that he has worked some miracles here. I know you (and others) would say ...

However everyone in a job cannot live on past glories and need to perform every day to earn their salary

First off, that's bollocks, lots of people live on past glories in jobs (and it's very frustrating for the rest of us having to deal with these people but nonetheless it happens all over the corporate world).

However, more relevant to your point, and the point most "Moyes out" people miss, is that when you make a decision (assuming you care about making it logically) the only relevant question is how much better or worse the current person is than the replacement would be (given the exact same resources). If the current person has accomplished more than anyone else with similar resources (which Moyes has) then you have to think very carefully about that decision. There are many real-world examples of companies (and football teams for that matter) who experience some kind of problem (unrelated to the person in charge just a bad break) and then have a bad year or two, fire the person in charge, then get a replacement who turns out to do twice as bad as the person they had. It turned out that the original person in charge was actually doing an amazing job with limited resources, and almost anyone else, given the same bad breaks, would have done far worse. I haven't heard one coherent, logic based argument about why someone else would be better than Moyes.

Would I be intrigued to see what would happen if we could get Joachim Löw away from Germany? Of course -- in fact Löw is more my kind of style of manager. But I'd also be intrigued to see what would happen if I spent the night in bed with two supermodels -- it doesn't mean I'm going to fly to Paris to try to make that happen (because the odds are rather heavily against it working out and then I'd have a huge travel bill and an angry wife to contend with when I got back).

Read up on some risk/reward guys -- the numbers don't add up right now.

There is also loyalty -- we expect players (and managers) to be loyal to us, even when we have a bad year; but sitting eight points off Europe with a game in hand (again, if you care at all about logic, the points don't matter, only relative position -- for example would you not celebrate as much if we won the league with the lowest ever points total to win the league?) we fans can't show any loyalty to our manager? Pienaar should stay and play non-CL football for less money here (out of loyalty) but Moyes has to go because we're 8 points off Europe with a game in hand?

I'm not saying we could never want a manager out but Moyes is not just "a" manager. He's our manager and (to echo LCAB) he's earned a lot more than he's getting from (some) of us.

Last edited:
First off, great post LCAB.

The question isn't "has Moyes taken us as far as he can?" the question is "has Moyes taken us as far as anyone can?"

In the modern era there is exactly one example of a team with [Poor language removed]-all cash getting fourth (in case anyone forgets how much Spurs spent) and that is an Moyes-led Everton.

It is entirely possible, as disgusting a notion as this is, that there is no manager out there who could take a team which gets to spend 3.3M net per year (which is approx. Moyes net spend p/a thus far) into the Champions League.

There used to be four teams capable of spending big (on both transfers and wages -- don't ignore wages, the huge wage budget is a big part of Arsenal's success) -- there are now six.

Just because we don't like it doesn't mean it isn't true. Is it impossible to find another manager who can pull off that miracle? Maybe not impossible but it's a huge long shot.

Moyes frustrates me too at times but make no mistake that he has worked some miracles here. I know you (and others) would say ...

First off, that's bollocks, lots of people live on past glories in jobs (and it's very frustrating for the rest of us having to deal with these people but nonetheless it happens all over the corporate world).

However, more relevant to your point, and the point most "Moyes out" people miss, is that when you make a decision (assuming you care about making it logically) the only relevant question is how much better or worse the current person is than the replacement would be (given the exact same resources). If the current person has accomplished more than anyone else with similar resources (which Moyes has) then you have to think very carefully about that decision. There are many real-world examples of companies (and football teams for that matter) who experience some kind of problem (unrelated to the person in charge just a bad break) and then have a bad year or two, fire the person in charge, then get a replacement who turns out to do twice as bad as the person they had. It turned out that the original person in charge was actually doing an amazing job with limited resources, and almost anyone else, given the same bad breaks, would have done far worse. I haven't heard one coherent, logic based argument about why someone else would be better than Moyes.

Would I be intrigued to see what would happen if we could get Joachim Löw away from Germany? Of course -- in fact Löw is more my kind of style of manager. But I'd also be intrigued to see what would happen if I spent the night in bed with two supermodels -- it doesn't mean I'm going to fly to Paris to try to make that happen (because the odds are rather heavily against it working out and then I'd have a huge travel bill and an angry wife to contend with when I got back).

Read up on some risk/reward guys -- the numbers don't add up right now.

There is also loyalty -- we expect players (and managers) to be loyal to us, even when we have a bad year; but sitting eight points off Europe with a game in hand (again, if you care at all about logic, the points don't matter, only relative position -- for example would you not celebrate as much if we won the league with the lowest ever points total to win the league?) we fans can't show any loyalty to our manager? Pienaar should stay and play non-CL football for less money here (out of loyalty) but Moyes has to go because we're 8 points off Europe with a game in hand?

I'm not saying we could never want a manager out but Moyes is not just "a" manager. He's our manager and (to echo LCAB) he's earned a lot more than he's getting from (some) of us.

Stands , applauds ,...

Well said , my mate .

Boss post .

Haven't read it properly yet, but looks like another masterpiece lcab. No doubt he deserved this sermon, as he certainly played his part in getting this club to its feet again. I dread to think where we would've been in today's footballing pyramid, without the Moyesiah

Top work, great stuff. Moyes is boss, I want him to be here for ever. As long as he is here the dark days won't be as dark as they have been before.

Status
Not open for further replies.