The Everton Board Thread 2015/16 [ Not takeover related ]

Is it time for change?

• I'm happy with the way thing are. Kenwright and the Board should stay.

Votes: 75 10.2%
  • Kenwright and the board need to go. We need change.

Votes: 558 76.2%
  • I'm indifferent. Can't decide.

Votes: 99 13.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciate what you are saying but how can a CEO have a cushy job if the Board won't give him the tools or resources to do the job?

All the good CEO 's I have ever come across are a right pain in the backside constantly giving the Board grief for extra resources to develop the business.

When I recruit a CEO I am looking for someone who makes life uncomfortable for the Board because he/she is ambitious and wants success.
I've got nothing against Elstone, but he's a risk averse bean counter by trade.

In my experience they generally make poor CEOs and lack both the commercial nous and the love of the challenge of a calculated risk.

They focus on cost as opposed to expansion, as that's where they are most comfortable.

Elstone matches all of those traits. He's managing with one arm tied behind his back, but he's doing so willingly as it suits his MO.

Look at the OPs post the first thread was 2011,15,000 replies later he same stuff is still getting said,the main part of this is im convinced
that whilst we stay in the top flight nothing is going to change,thats the boards only concern,the TV money now keeps the wolves from the
door and the board are under no real pressure to do anything

Thought this was for this thread as didn't want to start a new one -

Bill Kenwright's worst moments as Everton chairman, let's see how many we can get up to?.

1. Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright said: "David Moyes and I agreed Wayne has to be a £50m player now. "I would turn down any bid for him and say: 'Thank you very much. What else do you want to talk about?'".

2. Regarding Goodison park - “We absolutely have to move… We’ll soon not be able to pass safety tests.”

3. Fortress Sports Fund lies and deceit.

4. “look you’ll never get a better salesman than Bill Kenwright for Everton Football Club”

5. Bill went on to tell a story concerning Keith Harris; he’d put forward two guys who, in his opinion, were suitable potential owners of Everton Football Club. Harris claimed the two guys controlled a hedge fund; one was the head of ICI in the Far East and a second an inventor. They conducted due diligence and Everton were ready to sign an agreement when Bill smelt a rat; investigators discovered that ICI had never heard of the person concerned, he actually lived in one bedroom flat, and the second guy, the inventor, was based in Manchester.

6. Kenwright 2008 "the clubs been for sale since day one"

We need movement from them on the stadium this calendar year. I still want and demand the team doing well but frankly the stadium issue should be the priority.

As CEO he executes the objectives and strategies of the Board. He's responsible for the implementation of those objectives and strategies, he does not make policy on the hoof.

He's accountable to the Board for his actions and results. The senior Board members are more culpable than he is. Of course any self-respecting CEO should if he feels the Board are holding back the club seek to change the Board's mind or if not seek employment elsewhere, Elstone has done neither.
It totally depends on the company. You are making it sound like the CEO is basically just a puppet of the board, nothing more than a manager which is maybe the case with Elstone but generally it's normally the board that are the passive ones and the CEO decides the policy and the board are generally just made up of people that have been brought in by him to help finance it.

My opinion is Elstone runs the club and he knows like Martinez there's no extra investment but besides that the board isn't that involved although Kenwright does like going to the games. I do agree however their's a big risk that Elstone is too risk averse.

A self respecting CEO also knows how to work within a budget especially if the goal posts haven't changed.

It totally depends on the company. You are making it sound like the CEO is basically just a puppet of the board, nothing more than a manager which is maybe the case with Elstone but generally it's normally the board that are the passive ones and the CEO decides the policy and the board are generally just made up of people that have been brought in by him to help finance it.

My opinion is Elstone runs the club and he knows like Martinez there's no extra investment but besides that the board isn't that involved although Kenwright does like going to the games. I do agree however their's a big risk that Elstone is too risk averse.

A self respecting CEO also knows how to work within a budget especially if the goal posts haven't changed.

I don't know how many Boards you have sat on where the majority of shares are owned by the Directors. Believe me in those circumstances the CEO is nothing more than an employee. His input may be appreciated or not but he/she does what the shareholding Directors say.

I don't know how many Boards you have sat on where the majority of shares are owned by the Directors. Believe me in those circumstances the CEO is nothing more than an employee. His input may be appreciated or not but he/she does what the shareholding Directors say.
The directors don't own the majority of the shares in most companies due to dilution but in the companies which have had to hire a CEO the CEO is generally chosen in the first place because it's his vision which the board has bought into. It's part of the job interview.

e.g. Take Everton. Who do you think is really calling the shots? Bill or Elstone because I doubt any of the others have that much of a say now. I honestly don't get the impression Bill is even that much in the loop.

The directors don't own the majority of the shares in most companies due to dilution but in the companies which have had to hire a CEO the CEO is generally chosen in the first place because it's his vision which the board has bought into. It's part of the job interview.

e.g. Take Everton. Who do you think is really calling the shots? Bill or Elstone because I doubt any of the others have that much of a say now. I honestly don't get the impression Bill is even that much in the loop.

Major decisions will be run past Green. That was Wynesses' experience and I doubt his successor enjoys much more latitude to act.

What you see is what you get: a nodding dog.

With respect you are talking about the relatively small number of quoted companies with institutional external investors who appoint a CEO to run the business.

The vast majority of businesses in the world are privately owned with the majority shareholdings in the Board.

I know this through personal experience having both run companies and sat on many many Boards.

From what I know of Everton I can assure you that Elstone takes orders and executes them. Kenwright and Woods only give the impression of being hands off.

Status
Not open for further replies.