The Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike certain day tripper grounds I could mention, Goodison is full of season ticket holders. Maybe we need to hand out a few hymn sheets eh?
That’s a big part of the reason the atmosphere is how it is. Loads of the lids who come on giving it the big one about making the atmosphere better go about 3 times a year, it’s an event for them, meeting up with their mates and having a few beers and they wonder why not everyone’s as up for it as them. If you go every week though, it stops being an event. A 2pm Sunday kick off in the rain feels like a bit of a chore when we’re not playing well, so fans who go all the time get frustrated at seeing the same players make the same mistakes as they’ve been seeing for the last 5 years or whatever. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Last edited:
That’s a big part of the reason the atmosphere is how it is. Loads of the lids who come on giving it the big one about making the atmosphere better go about 3 times a year, it’s an event for them, meeting up with their mates and having a few beers and they wonder why not everyone’s as up for it as them. If you go every week though, it stops being an event. A 2pm Sunday kick off in the rain feels like a bit of a chore when we’re not playing well, so fans who go all the time get frustrated at seeing the same players make the same mistakes as they’ve been seeing for the last 5 years or whatever. Familiarity breeds contempt.

The same could be said about the players. Imagine playing every week with full house 90min non stop singing, by the 5th season, they will feel so numb and no songs or crowd reaction could trigger the next gear in them.

The same could be said about the players. Imagine playing every week with full house 90min non stop singing, by the 5th season, they will feel so numb and no songs or crowd reaction could trigger the next gear in them.
No it couldn't. Nobody agrees with you on this, let it go.

*EDIT* Sorry I assumed you were another poster who kept saying this kind of thing, but still the point stands.

Some fans like singing, some don't, some just now and then, and nearly all are only going to sing if there's something sung around them to join in with.

It's at odd times that the crowd start to get behind the team. It's usually mixed with anger at some perceived injustice or at a piece of aggression against an Everton player.

Then again a strong tackle by Coleman or whatever can set it off - in other words a sign that the guys are making a real effort.

The trouble is frequently when the team is in the doldrums and needs the support most It's not there.

It's at odd times that the crowd start to get behind the team. It's usually mixed with anger at some perceived injustice or at a piece of aggression against an Everton player.

Then again a strong tackle by Coleman or whatever can set it off - in other words a sign that the guys are making a real effort.

The trouble is frequently when the team is in the doldrums and needs the support most It's not there.
To be fair I always think when they need the support they get it. When our backs are against the wall the support can stand up to any.

When we've been in relegation scraps or fighting for the top 4 or big cup games the crowd is generally brilliant. The difficulty (and as somebody who has been to most PL grounds as an away fan I can tell you it's the same at most grounds) is that they don't often need the support, because not many of the games actually mean anything. Obviously we want to win all our games, but nobody really cares whether we finish 7th or not do they? It doesn't feel like the games at home to Watford, Newcastle, Bournemouth etc really matter, because we know that we'll finish somewhere between 7th and 11th regardless. People comparing modern atmospheres to the old days are always going to be disappointed, the games different now, and therefore so is the support.

It's simpler then that imo. If the team shows fight and passion they'll get it back from the crowd. People can live with crap, we did all the way through the 90's and never had as bad an atmosphere as we do now. It's about the lack of effort and the same mistakes being made game after game and season after season. It's beats you down in the end. It's hard to get behind teams that look like they don't care more often then not.

Look I'm not justifying the horrendous lack of atmosphere at Goodison because there's no defending how bad it is but it's not difficult to understand how we got to this point. Near 30 years of let down that shows no sign of ending any time soon combined with a team that sometimes seems incapable of stringing a couple of passes together and seem totally uninterested will have that effect.

Remember West Ham coming to Goodison some years ago, and their supporters made some real noise from start to finish(literally)Think we put four or five past them and they ended up being relegated.

I was surprised how many Bournemouth supporters turned up. I guess they left home in sunshine and found the weather here was nothing like where they came from.

I was surprised how many Bournemouth supporters turned up. I guess they left home in sunshine and found the weather here was nothing like where they came from.
BBC 5 Live kept on moaning about how it wasn't forecast.Osman worring about his son getting wet.(leather car seats).

It's boss the way so many people who're watching on tv or the internet get so angry at that the people who have actually put their hand in their pockets and go the game because we aren't singing enough. I really do have to rember next match to sing all game and only occasionally stop to demand that everyone joins in so that the people watching at home will have a better viewing experience........

Status
Not open for further replies.