The Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are very much a glass half empty set of fans, after years of torture we are now expecting the worst all the time.
The slightest mistake is met with hysteria and calls for people to be dropped, substitutions to be made etc. If we go a goal down my god the reaction is incredible, we are now in a position were there has to be a deep routed cause for simply having a bad game.
The crowd needs to change as much as the team needed to change, the team is evolving it wont be as quick as we want, but every dip does not have to be met with such utter bile and venom. A couple of minutes in and there shouts of he is awful, get him off, should never play for us again, groans at subs, groans at a misplaced pass,I think people singing is the least of our worries.
Just get behind the team a little bit and stop being negative about everything and the atmosphere will come.

We are very much a glass half empty set of fans, after years of torture we are now expecting the worst all the time.
The slightest mistake is met with hysteria and calls for people to be dropped, substitutions to be made etc. If we go a goal down my god the reaction is incredible, we are now in a position were there has to be a deep routed cause for simply having a bad game.
The crowd needs to change as much as the team needed to change, the team is evolving it wont be as quick as we want, but every dip does not have to be met with such utter bile and venom. A couple of minutes in and there shouts of he is awful, get him off, should never play for us again, groans at subs, groans at a misplaced pass,I think people singing is the least of our worries.
Just get behind the team a little bit and stop being negative about everything and the atmosphere will come.

Pretty much spot on entirely. We have had justified reason to fume in years gone by, especially last season. But this is the BEGINNING of a process that will take time, and patience is required. No one’s asking to be happy clapping superfans unable to say a negative word about anything, just to have a sense of realism and perspective.

I'm old enough to remember when the Goodison crowd was like a 12th man.

The first couple of years of Kendall's successful first spell in charge were actually really bad. We were crap. But the fans stuck with the team and we eventually came good. After the Bayern game at Goodison, Kendall said that it felt like the fans in the Gwladys Street End had “sucked the ball into the Bayern net.”

At the end of the day, abusing our own players is not going to imbue them with confidence and make them play better. Quite the opposite.

Not too sure about that mate, there were gates around the 13 - 15k mark for large parts of 83-84

It is a shame the crowd seem to be a little bit quiet at times, but tbh id rather that than have a stadium full of idiots chanting stuff like at Chelsea, bad situation that is.

Lucky enough to have been to some of the big games at Goodison. Inter Milan in the European Cup. Bayern,even the odd Derby win.But for the whole ground getting behind the team Wimbledon is hard to beat.But we don't want that again.

Best post I've read for long time mate. And thanks because I've been thinking it but haven't written it. This should be the case regardless of what football people should watch, a little bit of encouragement goes a long way. But being a miserable old git at the football appears to be the 'in' thing and spreads like a virus.

I am usually a glass half full type of bloke...but when it comes to Everton, after years of their torturing me, I now expect the worst all the time.

Can remember the Street End chanting against the Main Stand and the Bullens for their perceived lack of support during the late 60's and 70's. We've always been miserable sods.

Interesting. Didn’t know that.

was in the days when the Street was lively. "Sit down ya bums" was well rehearsed against the hundreds who left the game early. History bites one in the arse which is why I smile quietly at those who whine about the current manager ... Catterick got the same abuse (as did Shankly from the lovables), as did Royle, Kendall and Young, among others. Those of us of a certain age choose to forget it, but it happened. I was there.

was in the days when the Street was lively. "Sit down ya bums" was well rehearsed against the hundreds who left the game early. History bites one in the arse which is why I smile quietly at those who whine about the current manager ... Catterick got the same abuse (as did Shankly from the lovables), as did Royle, Kendall and Young, among others. Those of us of a certain age choose to forget it, but it happened. I was there.
Reidy,sharpy,even big Nev,again as you say mate,i was there!!

The crowd needs to change as much as the team needed to change

Totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.