The case for Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t want to keep him, but I’m fairly confident in saying that in hindsight, There isn’t a chance BFS would have put up with these kind of performances and would have got more out of the players.

Sam would not - and did not - get more out of the players.

There doesn’t seem to be any positive attitude/mental strength/winning mentality call it what you will, amongst our lot. It runs deeper than Silva you’re right, but his failure to sort the freekick problem out will probably mean he takes the brunt anyway.

I’m really interested to see if the summer clearout has any effect on this, it’ll be a bit of a changing of the guard. You have to wonder if there’s a few bad apples amongst them dragging the rest down moaning behind the managers back etc.

Likely to see 10+ players go in the summer, but I think we’ll see a new manager then too. Give him till the end of the season and go from there.

The thing is, from the squad that downed tools for Martinez, just 4 remain today, with those 4 including Jags, Baines and Niasse (the other is Coleman). I haven't included youngsters who are either out on loan (Holgate, Pennington et al) or not a feature in the 1st team (Browning et al). So we've got practically an entirely new playing squad, yet the same problems persist.

giphy.gif
Not sure why you commented on this
I am flattered that you took the time ...

When next to no one is playing well or showing Leadership, all your B+ players start looking like C+. Whereas get just one or two quality performers in and suddenly you have a good team as they make everyone play better.
Feels like the squad needs massive open heart surgery at the minute but in reality it's not that severe of an overhaul required.

On the fence about Silva - really don't want to see him fired as we badly need continuity and on paper he has potential. But right now he's stinking the joint out, no question - the squad is flawed but it's nowhere near as bad as the results and performances indicate. He's failing at the moment and it's hard to see what he is trying to achieve with our play.
I'd say you sum up my thoughts very succinctly there mate.

What if Marco Silva has a case to be backed for next season? There are fundamental issues in the team which would need to be worked upon over the summer such as set pieces but generally speaking, here is the case FOR Marco Silva. (Does not reflect my own personal views)

Loan players

everton have 7 first team players out on loan this season, probably more if some have slipped my mind. It's fair to say most of them wouldn't improve us if they were available and only really vlasic and onykerwu having the case to be part of the team. But generally speaking, these players on loan are crippling the wage bill so it restricts what the club could have done in the market, making January signings impossible. Once all have been shipped out then we could see a lot more business being done. That and the side point of so many 'first team's players out the club is a massive chunk of a squad.

Underperforming/ wrong fit players

There are many players in the squad that simply don't fit or just aren't good enough that are classed as part of the first team squad. We can list them as an opinion but it's obvious how many players just aren't good enough in there or simply don't perform. By my count I can list at least 9 , which is again a massive chunk of the squad that either underperform or aren't options to use. So potentially just over a third of the available squad won't play or won't perform if played. That is a massive handicap for a manager who needs to change things

Senior players underperforming

following on from the above, how many senior players just aren't there for the team? Baines, jagielka , Coleman , Schneiderlin, Walcott alone are all massively underperforming or simply not good enough. 3 of those are captains when available which considering the lack of leadership on the pitch, it's another handicap to not have these players to rely on when things aren't going well. It leaves us without a natural captain on the pitch when those 3 are earmarked for the role.

lack of striker

This was a problem last season but recently it's really shown itself . We have no striker at the club to perform the role effectively enough. Lewen and tosun aren't good enough it's fair to say and that is where it's a hindrance for any manager . Against Watford both of them missed from less than 10 yards out, one would have counted but the point being if you have strikers who miss from that range when you really need a goal then what can a manager really do to win games? Most club's have at least one player who they can rely on in the box , we haven't had one for 2 seasons now.

Coaching staff

it's fair to say again we have never had a complete overhaul of our coaching staff since Moyes left. The manager brings his trusted allies in but on the training pitch and throughout the club the coaches have stayed the same. Perhaps this needs to be looked at and changed to see overall improvements throughout the team?
As far as I'm concerned this us what we all knew, when the season started with our fingers crossed. There was collective optimism or hope at least, even though we knew the squad was deeply flawed. We all seemed to agree that the manager gets a bye this season to sort out the mess and bring some stability.

Then a bunch of fans forgot all this as soon as we hit a bad run of form. It's the same in politics when a government screws the voters for four and a half years then all is forgotten once the last giveaway, vite buying budget is announced, and the turkeys more for Christmas again.

I'll admit to looking at what other managers mufgr be available at the moment, and hoping one could bring in a quick fix. It would be stupid though, we'd become a laughing stock and our squad would soon have little motivation to do their best knowing full well that mother manager might be just around the corner.

We're not going to win owt this season, we're unlikely to be in danger. We need to just suck it in and wait for better times in my opinion. The summer activity will be key.

What if Marco Silva has a case to be backed for next season? There are fundamental issues in the team which would need to be worked upon over the summer such as set pieces but generally speaking, here is the case FOR Marco Silva. (Does not reflect my own personal views)

Loan players

everton have 7 first team players out on loan this season, probably more if some have slipped my mind. It's fair to say most of them wouldn't improve us if they were available and only really vlasic and onykerwu having the case to be part of the team. But generally speaking, these players on loan are crippling the wage bill so it restricts what the club could have done in the market, making January signings impossible. Once all have been shipped out then we could see a lot more business being done. That and the side point of so many 'first team's players out the club is a massive chunk of a squad.

Underperforming/ wrong fit players

There are many players in the squad that simply don't fit or just aren't good enough that are classed as part of the first team squad. We can list them as an opinion but it's obvious how many players just aren't good enough in there or simply don't perform. By my count I can list at least 9 , which is again a massive chunk of the squad that either underperform or aren't options to use. So potentially just over a third of the available squad won't play or won't perform if played. That is a massive handicap for a manager who needs to change things

Senior players underperforming

following on from the above, how many senior players just aren't there for the team? Baines, jagielka , Coleman , Schneiderlin, Walcott alone are all massively underperforming or simply not good enough. 3 of those are captains when available which considering the lack of leadership on the pitch, it's another handicap to not have these players to rely on when things aren't going well. It leaves us without a natural captain on the pitch when those 3 are earmarked for the role.

lack of striker

This was a problem last season but recently it's really shown itself . We have no striker at the club to perform the role effectively enough. Lewen and tosun aren't good enough it's fair to say and that is where it's a hindrance for any manager . Against Watford both of them missed from less than 10 yards out, one would have counted but the point being if you have strikers who miss from that range when you really need a goal then what can a manager really do to win games? Most club's have at least one player who they can rely on in the box , we haven't had one for 2 seasons now.

Coaching staff

it's fair to say again we have never had a complete overhaul of our coaching staff since Moyes left. The manager brings his trusted allies in but on the training pitch and throughout the club the coaches have stayed the same. Perhaps this needs to be looked at and changed to see overall improvements throughout the team?

If we're going to purely discuss personnel then we have to look at other teams in this league with fewer resources and I'd say he should be getting way more out of this squad. No way do Brighton/Watford/Southampton have better squads than us.

But these are all valid points and I can't see how sacking him helps so although I'm disappointed in Silva, I think we have to stick with him.

All good points.

Throughout all of this I've tried to stress that it's a mix of everything. It's not ALL Silva's fault, and equally so he isn't blameless.

Most people agree with that I'm sure, but I acknowledge that it's getting harder to see how he turns this around, now.
Totally agree. Especially the end bit. If someone else comes in now they'll be faced with the same problems but will also have to try ship out Silva's players to bring their own. I still think he needs time. We get rid of as many of these players on ridiculous wages as possible and bring in some more. Then judge him.

It's perhaps worth saying also that since Martinez was sacked, we've signed 27 new players (8 of which are already out the door). That's practically 10 new players every season. It's perhaps no surprise that the players not only seem to lack any cohesion as a unit, but lack any connection to the club.

Add in we've had 3 managers (4 if you include Unsworth), all of whom will have had their own coaching staff, own tactics, methods and culture. It's not really a surprise that the club is a shambles at the moment. I'm not convinced at all by Silva, but by god we need some stability so the club can regain a bit of identity again.

Pure conjecture m’lud.

BFS would have got more out of these players, that’s pretty obvious now.

He won 2 in 12 at one point last season.

Sam would also not have these players, as Richarlison, Digne, Gomes, Bernard and Mina would all definitely not be here.

Totally agree. Especially the end bit. If someone else comes in now they'll be faced with the same problems but will also have to try ship out Silva's players to bring their own. I still think he needs time. We get rid of as many of these players on ridiculous wages as possible and bring in some more. Then judge him.

And fwiw I think most would agree that the new signings have, overall, done well.

Digne has been the player of the season for us by far.

Gomes was ace when he first came in. Poor then shown some green shoots of recovery. Not good enough yet though.

Richarlison - God forbid where we'd be without his goals, even though he has a lot to work on.

Bernard - Shown flashes.

Mina - I think we've looked by far our most solid with him in the side.

Zouma - Don't think he's as good as some make out and I'd say he's been the most disappointing of them all purely as he keeps making the same mistakes over and over. When he's played well though, he has been good.

Status
Not open for further replies.