The case for Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
He won 2 in 12 at one point last season.

Sam would also not have these players, as Richarlison, Digne, Gomes, Bernard and Mina would all definitely not be here.

You are probably right with the second part, but tbh apart from Digne, I am sure he would have signed others every bit as good the rest of the players mentioned here who all seem a bit mentally weak and lacking in any form of passion for the shirt. Gomes has been decent but the rest of the team aren’t in tune with his ability, Richarlison has bagged 10 but as a player is still yet to convince, Bernard looks like he could be good and Mina thus far is a total flop.

To be fair to BFS his only signings Walcott and Tosun both did well enough when they came in and have only gone a bit turd under Silva.

Anyway, it’s all irrelevant now I suppose but what I’m saying is, I am pretty convinced he wouldn’t be doing any worse.

Baines and Jagielka? Not quite sure what they have done to have any fingers pointed at them for anything.

Id say he meant the not good enough part for these 2. And he has a loint. Both are finished really. Great servants but finished at premier level. Id still have baines as back up for another season though.

Things have turned very bad under Silva, but the fact that things have turned very bad under our last 4 managers suggests to me that things perhaps run a bit deeper than simply getting a new manager in and repeating the cycle.

Or maybe stop employing turd managers. The koeman one was the biggest laugh. I am convinced nobody looked at his managerial CV. Club after club failure. He was a name thats all. I still dont know how silva has got this job. He's done nothing to warrant it.
All for sticking with someone with a bit of a proven record whos done something. We keep going for managers who havent and then wonder why it goes pear shaped.

He absolutely does have a case to be backed and ideally I think he should. Personally I don’t think he has it in him though, just my opinion.

Or maybe stop employing turd managers. The koeman one was the biggest laugh. I am convinced nobody looked at his managerial CV. Club after club failure. He was a name thats all. I still dont know how silva has got this job. He's done nothing to warrant it.
All for sticking with someone with a bit of a proven record whos done something. We keep going for managers who havent and then wonder why it goes pear shaped.

The thing is, as a club we're not going to get any manager that has a successful track record. We just won't and the sooner we accept that the better we'll be. I'm not sold on Silva at all, but blokes at the club with far more information about him than we've got chased him for a long time, so to then sack him after a few months is crazy. If you went to the trouble of annoying another PL club to get the bloke, stand behind your reasons and give him some time.

Other things to add:

• He's been here just 7 months. It's way too short a period to judge him on
  • We were perfroming above expectations before the derby (after which point we performed at below expectations), so we know this feller can get a tune out of a team
  • The preseason that we needed to work on effective defensive positioning for set pieces was simply not there due to injuries to both CBs brought in last summer...a situation which stretched well into the season
  • A goalkeeper having a calamitous season

Not sure I buy into this if I'm honest. Im not anti Silva and I was fully behind him when appointed. However I just don't get a good feeling about his team and how he goes about things. If you consider the games he's won this season they have all been against teams down the bottom, the only victory of note was the Leicester away win but that was against 10 men and I'd fancy we would have lost if Morgan wasn't sent off.

I do believe a manager needs time, however I'm just not sure Silva is the manager to be given that time.

He has to win a good number of games between now and May or he should be sacked.

It's that simple for him. Nothing else is important or part of the debate. I don't see him doing it but I hope he does.

He has no history at staying at a club to build HIS team, so there might be an argument there to give him a chance and of course the striker issue, I was saying in another thread that we don’t create much for a striker, but Saturday came and 2 chances, one fell to DCL and the other to Cenk, if those in we are talking about a different game.

BUT..

Good managers can get a tune out of a mediocre squad (our squad is far from mediocre) we should be pushing Arsenal for that 6th spot, Bobby did it with a worse squad but he did have Lukaku, we just didn’t build on it the following season due to lack of funds and spending the budget mostly on Lukaku. Europa league affected our league performance that season.

The thing is, as a club we're not going to get any manager that has a successful track record. We just won't and the sooner we accept that the better we'll be. I'm not sold on Silva at all, but blokes at the club with far more information about him than we've got chased him for a long time, so to then sack him after a few months is crazy. If you went to the trouble of annoying another PL club to get the bloke, stand behind your reasons and give him some time.

I dont buy that mate i really dont. Im not talking the cream. But if the geordies can get someone like Rafael. We are a bigger club with funds available.
We're employing proven failures. We can do better than that.

God I despised Allardyce, but IF our final league position under Silva is below where Allardyce finished Toff (and Allardyce had a weaker squad) then surely that means he got more out of the players?

Totally different though.

Last season we were 'safe' by early Jan. Burnley won one game in 11 yet we never even took over them to finish 7th. That's how crap we were.

There's also the case that as bad as the league still is, generally, there are better teams in it now than last year around us.

Wolves are better, for example. West Ham have been better (and are still below us).

So no, I hate the Sam comparisons. I don't think he would have got anything out of this squad more than Silva has, genuinely. There's no evidence to suggest it'd be the case either.

Does that mean that Silva hasn't underachieved massively so far? No, of course not, and like I've said if he was sacked today he could have no complaints.

People say there is a lot of quality in the team, but is there?

Keane and Zouma are secondary CBs. Young lads who need a leader next to them.

Davies is hit and miss although I have been more impressed with him recently. Gueye is a stopper.

Walcott, Tosun, DCL all not good enough.

So your left with Pickford, Sig, Gomes, Digne, Bernard, Richarlison and (potentially) Mina given his pedigree.

It's a start but pound for pound have Wolves and WH got as many good players as us? Id say so. Same with Watford.

The last few weeks have been particularly poor but as I keep saying, this is a huge job of fixing.

The point is if BFS can use an inferior squad to get 8th with 24 games to go then Silva is doing a very bad job. 8 months in and he can’t get the team to defend.

We never should hope these type of manager would take this club forward. Just won’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.