The case for Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree. Especially the end bit. If someone else comes in now they'll be faced with the same problems but will also have to try ship out Silva's players to bring their own. I still think he needs time. We get rid of as many of these players on ridiculous wages as possible and bring in some more. Then judge him.

Isn’t that why a dol is employed? There will be continuity as long as Brands is in charge. He takes care of the transfers.

so how do you rate those that amount to £200m?
Keane, Snides for example?
Doesn't matter what I rate them.

They all proved themselves in the past to be good Premier League players (note: I absolutely am NOT saying that they are still good Premier League players). The majority of them, at least. Schneiderlin came to us with a good reputation, particularly from his Southampton time and as a squad player for United. Keane was excellent in Burnley's defence when they waltzed their way to Europe and were so strong at home. Sigurdsson was brilliant for Swansea and should have been excellent for us. We overpaid, of course, but he looked like he would be a pefect fit for us. Pickford was deemed the next big thing and all of the media was creaming themselves and saying we've just bought the next world class English keeper. Tosun probably isn't suitable for the league as he's too slow, and Walcott is finished. So two duds bought there, along with megadud Bolasie who was a complete and utter farce of a signing (crying shame we threw 75m on those three - unforgivable really), but as for the others I simply have no explanation how it all went so wrong, other than employing incompetent managers and backroom staff. But for the majority of the players I just mentioned, they should, along with the likes of Digne, Gomes, Zouma, Mina (talked about as one of the top defenders of the World Cup) be more than capable of having us strongly challenge the top six.

It's a disgrace that we've fallen to where we have with this squad.

We are, yet the last 'proven winner' we had as manager was Walter Smith.

Times have moved on from then. Smith wasnt proven either by the way. Winning the jock league is hardly the stuff of legends.
Bad mentality to think we have to just keep employing failures. City had to start somewhere a few years ago when the new owners took charge. They had to make a statement somewhere.
We can do better than what we have been taking on.

All good points you make @Kenshin, but surely even with this squad of players Silva should be doing a lot better than he is? Also, it just shows the mind - set of the football fan, at the start of the season when we were playing some really good footy we had loads on here saying this squad of players were the best we'd had since the 80s.
Well yes. There is always the other side to the argument which is debated profusely on the forum. There is debatable factors such as the repeating loss of form, the set pieces issue, the lack of real gameplan at times etc.

It's more than a one sided arguement, so the op is simply some points that go in his favour. I'm sure there is just a strong an argument to sack him in a different thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.