The Best and Worst of the derby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best - Everton 1 Liverpool 0 - Gosling

Worst - Everton 1 Liverpool 2 - Semi-final.

We went into that semi as the favourite and we were an utter embarrassment that second half.

Apart from the obvious King and Sharp derbies, one of my favourites is when we beat them after winning the league. Paul wilkinson got the winner, and just then, just for a moment, we looked like we'd never lose to the RS again...

The next season was definitely the worst though.

Edit. Pretty much what @Eggs said.

Last edited:
Best - Any time wee beat them, they're so few and far between now that I'll take any win.

Worst - 1986 FA Cup final. Was still a nipper(ish) and that was two years in a row I cried after the final. Should have buried them that day. 89's was bad but I'd grown up a bit by then and hardened to the fact that we can't win everything. Seen much worse performances but those two still rankle years later, maybe because I was young and impressionable and we were ace at the time.

Best for me is now and always will be my first ever derby.

David Johnson scoring the only goal in a 1-0 victory in November 1971.

Worst.....the Glen Keeley, obviously :mad:

There you go @Eggs just to bring back memories ;)

We were sitting next to each other upper street end with my mum for that one Jaycee , used to love watching the game from those seats.
Remember when that went in we were laughing at them getting beat by put together Everton team.
It's been a long time since we could do that.

I am going to go for two each.

I still remember my sheer disbelief when Johnson nodded in the third goal. 3-0, an absolute thrashing!

That was the start of Everton consistently being a European challenging side for years afterwards under Moyes.

I used to have my seat in the Park End, in the bottom right corner near the away fans. When Gosling scored in the 118th minute it seemed like hundreds of Evertonians rushed along the front towards them. Beautiful scenes. Thankfully avoided the penalty shoot-out which seconds before I had been feeling ill about.

The worst in recent times for me was the 4-0 at Anfield the season we finished 5th. We went there thinking we were fairly comparable at the time and they annihilated us. We played a ludicrous high line against Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez who tore us to shreds.

The other 4-0 in the final days of Martinez (that there is another says it all) , we went there and rolled over but at least we couldn't be brought crashing down to Earth. That he wasn't sacked straight away afterwards still bemuses me.

There have been a couple at Goodison we really should have won in recent times, such as the 3-3 draw when Sturridge equalised late on, plus a few that have seen refereeing decisions which have been truly awful (Clattenburg derby and Rodwell being sent off when Suarez feigned injury). On the flip side I look back fondly on the Carsley derby and the 2-0 with Arteta/Cahill when Liverpool really were rubbish under Hodgson.

We were sitting next to each other upper street end with my mum for that one Jaycee , used to love watching the game from those seats.
Remember when that went in we were laughing at them getting beat by put together Everton team.
It's been a long time since we could do that.
They were great seats mate,and the thing was besides the pen they didnt cause us any problems from what i remember

Absolutely. So unexpected, but that team had heart and is still today one of my favourites.

I don't think that result was unexpected.

We were going well at the time, either top or very near the top of the league and had yet to lose a game that season :)

Yes, we hadn't beaten them for in seven years but nor had they beaten us to often during that run....there were a heck of a lot of draws in the 70s.

And the fatalism regarding the derby, so prevalent these days, had not taken root back then.

Best- Not seen this one mentioned yet so I am going for the F A Cup game back in 1981 when we beat them 2-1 Peter Eastoe and Imre Varadi scored. We were crap at the time and they were champions of Europe!!!
Worst- The Glen Keeley one takes some beating but am going to go for the 86 cup final.

Status
Not open for further replies.