The atmosphere at Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all down to Silva and the players.

We react to what we witness on the pitch.

At least we can go to Saturday's match expecting a positive approach.

Went 3 times last season, and the loudest I saw the place was when Jagielka clattered a player.

We just want to see the players exert to levels of passion the supporters do. Goodison Park, on its day, is one of the best atmospheres in World Football.

The reason why the atmosphere is terrible is due to a variety of reasons. Expensive ticket prices are one reason, but as long as there is a demand for tickets nothing is going to change. Another issue is the fact we sold huge amounts of season tickets to kids, so people don't feel comfortable starting chants and that, plus when chants are started they don't get going. When I had a season ticket in GT3 it was mainly teenagers and fellas in their 20s and 30s so the atmosphere was a bit better. There have been numerous attempts and ideas to improve the atmosphere, but the club don't care about the atmosphere, so nothing changes.

Even away games are often pretty poor nowadays, which is even more embarrassing. In the past you could get away tickets for most games, even if you didn't have credits or even a season ticket, so you got young lads who created an atmosphere. Now it's just the same old people week in week out, so you don't get a change in the atmosphere. The atmospheres great in places like Serbia and Croatia, because vocal fans can get together, there's no stewards to tell you what to do. It's one of the reasons I gave up going, it's not that just fun anymore. The atmosphere at Goodison 10 years ago was the best in the premier league, now it's the worst. With us moving grounds I don't think it's likely the club are going to change everything. Selling all those season tickets to young kid's have hugely damaged the atmosphere, but the club can't do anything about it now.
Don't worry they'll be teenagers soon and take the Mick out of you being old and grumpy :)

At goodison it has always been up to the players to get the crowd involved. A crunching tackle, a moment of skill, a nice forward thinking idea etc. will always be rewarded with applause even if it doesn’t come off. The crowd need to feel that the players are giving everything and trying to win, not just the game, but every single ball.

It’s no surprise that the atmosphere was crap last season because the football was abysmal BUT after watching the game on tv Saturday I haven’t been more excited to go to goodison this weekend as I am right now. If we play that way (particularly Richarlison covering every blade of grass) the atmosphere will be the best since Martinez’ first season.

At goodison it has always been up to the players to get the crowd involved. A crunching tackle, a moment of skill, a nice forward thinking idea etc. will always be rewarded with applause even if it doesn’t come off. The crowd need to feel that the players are giving everything and trying to win, not just the game, but every single ball.

It’s no surprise that the atmosphere was crap last season because the football was abysmal BUT after watching the game on tv Saturday I haven’t been more excited to go to goodison this weekend as I am right now. If we play that way (particularly Richarlison covering every blade of grass) the atmosphere will be the best since Martinez’ first season.

Exactly this. That transfer deadline day and that fight and performance vs wolves has got me excited again for goodison. As long as there is fight and a willingness from the players to run through brick walls for the shirt then there wont be a problem with atmosphere

I very rarely get to Goodison and can only judge the crowd atmosphere by tv sound. People here have said it's been bad for years, but it sounded good when they were constantly singing the Alley-Alley-O song not that long ago. It's hard to be
enthusiastic when we're losing badly and playing poorly, I understand, but we had a good run of results even last season, so
it's very disheartening to hear booing as often as we have.

Don't worry they'll be teenagers soon and take the Mick out of you being old and grumpy :)
Don't think there's anything wrong with young kids going, I just don't think they should sit in the lower street end, because when everyone stands up they can't see, plus it doesn't really help the atmosphere. Also if their parents or whoever takes them the game, stop going they will so we lose even more match going fans. I know quite a few people who had season tickets when they were young and don't go nowadays for whatever reason. I think it's really when you like 14 that you really decide how serious you take football. I don't know when we get a bigger stadium it probably won't matter like. Because fans will have a greater choice where they sit and there will be more tickets available.

Different people have different ideas as to what is a good atmosphere.

On Saturday I reckon we'll win comfortably, and have a good sing for about 15 mins when the third goes in. Plus we'd have the odd burst before then, with the odd chant thrown in.

People will come out saying there's no problem with the atmosphere.

However then you look at all the scenarios that took place for that to be achieved, plus by my standards, that will still be a poor atmosphere, to others that will be great. So we want different things.

We are kings of singing under the stand then being silent once in the seats. Been to quite a few US games recently and Goodison literally falls near the bottom for atmosphere even compared with over here. When it rocks there is nowhere better, it rocks to infrequently though. Even in the 90s it was well better than now with 30k there.

We are kings of singing under the stand then being silent once in the seats. Been to quite a few US games recently and Goodison literally falls near the bottom for atmosphere even compared with over here. When it rocks there is nowhere better, it rocks to infrequently though. Even in the 90s it was well better than now with 30k there.
Yep, all the ones into singing can group together at half time but in the stands they're all spread out. When you try and say to those singers, get your tickets together at the back of block GT4 you get biffs accusing you of manufacturing an atmosphere, and tell you you have to wait for a tackle before you sing.

Status
Not open for further replies.