Tactical Side of Rafael Regime

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very interesting so far how we have far less of the ball overall but are pretty even in terms of passes played in dangerous areas versus our opponents. He's doing good work so far Rafael is. Villa are the first team that will actually alter their plan that has also had time to see what we're about. I'm intrigued.

We have seen about 5 competitive games so far. Do we even have sufficient amount of data to come up with "tactical side" of the new manager? Just askin.... :D

Oh, and would love to see some tactical insights from the original poster. Am not really bothered to go to twitter to get them. Much prefer to hang around here, rather go to that dump (No offense meant, obviously ?) Thanks....

Look at Grays goal. We break up play with Townsend chipping to Doucoure who carries the ball a little while Richie makes a run down the right taking at least 2 players with him. Gray runs at break neck speed through space created by richies run and Doucoure delivers the perfect pass. We are now using several players on breaks (without the ball) to open up space and be available but the important part is the speed of our breaks with more than the ball carrier and several players available, this is not allowing defence a chance to get players fully behind the ball. We are opening up teams with very few passes and speed. Last season it would probably have been just DCL as the only available option but he would not have been running from deep as Gray did. We are more direct and pace has added another dimension to our play. Add to that the player who is capable of shooting outside the box and deliver pin point crossing.

We are far more dangerous than last season and I believe we will comfortably surpass the miserly 47 goals of last season with goals being shared nicely amongst the team

It's very interesting so far how we have far less of the ball overall but are pretty even in terms of passes played in dangerous areas versus our opponents. He's doing good work so far Rafael is. Villa are the first team that will actually alter their plan that has also had time to see what we're about. I'm intrigued.

Exactly.. When we had possession last season it was all side to side and back until inevitably Pickford punted it. I couldn't get my head around how we appeared to find crossing the half way line an absolute marathon.

Tactically this is a total 180. That's why I am personally excited by what I'm seeing. The intent is totally different and its because of this that are winning games again.

Saying we started last season well is far less relevant to how we finished last season. In that way it's chalk and cheese.

Essentially it's being smarter with the possession we do have. Less is more. Often seen as a dirty word, but being more direct.

Crucially there's more speed in the side too, which facilitates this.

Last season we just constantly ended up pressed backwards.

Plus the crabs are generally on the bench now, rather than starting.

I write a lot about Everton's tactical side of the game over on my twitter (same as my username here) and it's gained ridiculous traction recently. A lot of people massively impressed with how were playing.

What are the main differences between Carlo and Rafael do you think?
Surely you should tell us if this is what you write about or are you looking for crowd sourced content for your Twitter feed?

Teams will be scared of us, particularly at home. Of course the fans play a part in that but under Carlos nobody was scared of us. Gray and Townsend are dangerous at anytime plus.... and I know a few heads might fall off when I say this but other managers will be aware how tactically savvy Benitez is. We are not going to be an easy side to play for anybody this season home or away.

Look at Grays goal. We break up play with Townsend chipping to Doucoure who carries the ball a little while Richie makes a run down the right taking at least 2 players with him. Gray runs at break neck speed through space created by richies run and Doucoure delivers the perfect pass. We are now using several players on breaks (without the ball) to open up space and be available but the important part is the speed of our breaks with more than the ball carrier and several players available, this is not allowing defence a chance to get players fully behind the ball. We are opening up teams with very few passes and speed. Last season it would probably have been just DCL as the only available option but he would not have been running from deep as Gray did. We are more direct and pace has added another dimension to our play. Add to that the player who is capable of shooting outside the box and deliver pin point crossing.

We are far more dangerous than last season and I believe we will comfortably surpass the miserly 47 goals of last season with goals being shared nicely amongst the team
Good post, can I also add, where we win the ball is important, last season we defended too deep, probably hoofed a lot of balls too. This season we win it closer to the half way line and then 2-3 passes later it’s in their final third.

I just hope it's not new manager bounce and he has something long-term to offer. I was all for Carlo to start but the football towards the end was diabolical.

Good post, can I also add, where we win the ball is important, last season we defended too deep, probably hoofed a lot of balls too. This season we win it closer to the half way line and then 2-3 passes later it’s in their final third.
Allan and Doucoure's starting position is a lot higher this season, it's great to see. So much more effective when winning the ball in the middle third than the defending third.

Status
Not open for further replies.