Szetela to Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's cheap to us with really no risk, then I think it makes very good sense to do.

I would just caution that if we were to acquire him, he wouldn't be an impact signing that a lot of us would like. Not for a year or two anyway.

To sign him would be to add another squad player. I do not believe he will ever be good enough to be an Everton starter and he is already 20, so no youth development there either.

Szetela just signed for Racing de Santander in Spain for a 125k transfer fee.

Here is the article:

Szetela agrees deal with La Liga's Racing SantanderIves Galarcep, Special to ESPNsoccernet

After nearly two months of transfer speculation and negotiations, Danny Szetela has passed up offers from Roma and Newcastle (among others) to play for Spanish First Division side Racing de Santander.

Szetela, who scored three goals for the U.S. U-20 national team in July's U-20 World Cup, has signed a three-year deal with the Northern Spain-based club, which began the La Liga season in solid fashion by tying Barcelona last weekend. Racing de Santander finished in 10th place in La Liga last season.

Szetela becomes the third member of this summer's U.S. U-20 national team to sign with a European club. Freddy Adu (Benfica) and Sal Zizzo (Hannover 96) both made the move after the U-20 World Cup while Red Bulls forward Jozy Altidore and Real Salt Lake defender Nathan Sturgis have been tipped to transfer to Europe this winter.

Szetela turned down offers from Newcastle, Roma and Brescia, including a late bid from Roma believed to be worth more than 250,000 Euros per season. Financial details of the Racing deal were not disclosed, but Szetela chose to take less money from Racing than Roma in order to have a better chance of seeing first-team action.

Racing de Santander will pay a $150,000 transfer fee to Major League Soccer, a large portion of which will go back to the Columbus Crew. The low fee is a result of Szetela's contract status (his current deal with MLS expires at the end of the year).

Szetela becomes the second American-born player to sign with a Spanish club this summer, joining fellow Clifton, New Jersey native and childhood friend Giuseppe Rossi, who signed with Villarreal earlier this summer. Racing plays host to Villlarreal on Sept. 26th.

Szetela is expected to travel to Spain this weekend for his physical. He currently holds a Polish passport which means he won't count toward Racing's foreign player total.

Lets see if he can get on the field now. I think this is what US players need to kick it up a notch so lets see how it works out in a year or two.

Saw this and thought, "Good for him."

Also good to see a player turn down more money for a chance to play more.

He obviously realizes that the path to a bigger paycheck/bigger club comes through proving himself on the field. Wouldn't have as much of a chance with Newcastle or Roma vs. Racing.

They show lot's of Spanish games over here in the States on GolTV so hopefully, we'll get to see him in action.

Szetela just signed for Racing de Santander in Spain for a 125k transfer fee.

Here is the article:

Szetela agrees deal with La Liga's Racing SantanderIves Galarcep, Special to ESPNsoccernet

After nearly two months of transfer speculation and negotiations, Danny Szetela has passed up offers from Roma and Newcastle (among others) to play for Spanish First Division side Racing de Santander.

Szetela, who scored three goals for the U.S. U-20 national team in July's U-20 World Cup, has signed a three-year deal with the Northern Spain-based club, which began the La Liga season in solid fashion by tying Barcelona last weekend. Racing de Santander finished in 10th place in La Liga last season.

Szetela becomes the third member of this summer's U.S. U-20 national team to sign with a European club. Freddy Adu (Benfica) and Sal Zizzo (Hannover 96) both made the move after the U-20 World Cup while Red Bulls forward Jozy Altidore and Real Salt Lake defender Nathan Sturgis have been tipped to transfer to Europe this winter.

Szetela turned down offers from Newcastle, Roma and Brescia, including a late bid from Roma believed to be worth more than 250,000 Euros per season. Financial details of the Racing deal were not disclosed, but Szetela chose to take less money from Racing than Roma in order to have a better chance of seeing first-team action.

Racing de Santander will pay a $150,000 transfer fee to Major League Soccer, a large portion of which will go back to the Columbus Crew. The low fee is a result of Szetela's contract status (his current deal with MLS expires at the end of the year).

Szetela becomes the second American-born player to sign with a Spanish club this summer, joining fellow Clifton, New Jersey native and childhood friend Giuseppe Rossi, who signed with Villarreal earlier this summer. Racing plays host to Villlarreal on Sept. 26th.

Szetela is expected to travel to Spain this weekend for his physical. He currently holds a Polish passport which means he won't count toward Racing's foreign player total.

and no doubt that is the last we'll ever hear of him...

I wonder if we even put in an offer. 125k is chump change. Considering he might be worth a couple million in a few years. At least he didn't go to the big club that threw a bunch of money at him.

I wonder if we even put in an offer. 125k is chump change. Considering he might be worth a couple million in a few years. At least he didn't go to the big club that threw a bunch of money at him.

James Milner broke into the Premiership when he was 17 -18 (first scoring when he was 16).

This guy hasn't broke the MLS at 20 by all accounts. So, why does everyone think he's gonna be the dogs in a few years time?

Sounds like hype to me.

plenty of guys who 'were the dogs' at 17 go on to a career of mediocrity. I don't put much stock in Szetella's MLS time for several reasons and there is no shortage of players in the league who didn't 'mature' or 'come into their own' or what ever euphemism you want to use until they were in their twenties.

This guy has played well on the pitch in big international matches, fact. He deserves a shot and I think he has a better chance in Europe on a squad that he can get on the pitch with (he'll even just the training would likely be an improvement, not to mention a proper soccer season instead of our summer league nonsence).

Cobi Jones. He was the best American player EVAR!!!!! Bwa-haha-haha-haha!!! I am surprised Coventry didn't win the league when he was with them lol

Cobi Jones. He was the best American player EVAR!!!!! Bwa-haha-haha-haha!!! I am surprised Coventry didn't win the league when he was with them lol

how long have you been on this medication Dylanb)

Status
Not open for further replies.