Szetela to Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Szetela came off the bench for the Crew against my Dynamo last weekend.

Didn't do much in the time that he was in although they were down a man.

He's not starting for the Crew which is a bit concerning. If we get him on the cheap, he'd be one for the reserves initially as I don't see him getting anywhere near our first team for a few years.

But he is young and may have some additional upside if Moyes and trainers get a hold of him.

Lets face it, judging by McClaren's team England couldn't beat the US right now, just Andorra and Estonia. There are more good US goal keepers in the EPL than English ones! So Everton might as well lead the parade to the future of the EPL, US and Asian talent! :D

Last edited:
Szetela came off the bench for the Crew against my Dynamo last weekend.

Didn't do much in the time that he was in although they were down a man.

He's not starting for the Crew which is a bit concerning. If we get him on the cheap, he'd be one for the reserves initially as I don't see him getting anywhere near our first team for a few years.

But he is young and may have some additional upside if Moyes and trainers get a hold of him.

the MLS is nowhere near the quality of the premiership or europe. Players have to be shining stars in the US to make it over here, not coming on as a sub and doing nothing.

Whatever his age, he sounds like he's missed the boat for us.

Dempsey and the likes aren't shining stars? There over here because we have a strong relationship with England and they are international players that need more European exposure.

truth is the MLS is loads better than it was just a few years ago. I'm not saying it is up to the level of any of the euro leagues but it isn't a dog to be kicked either.

Szetella did very well amongst his peers in an international tourament and should rightfully be consider a very bright prospect just like the bright players from any other squad at that same tournament. It was the best young US squad I have ever seen displaying both technical abiltiy and some real creativity.

Dempsey and the likes aren't shining stars? There over here because we have a strong relationship with England and they are international players that need more European exposure.

truth is the MLS is loads better than it was just a few years ago. I'm not saying it is up to the level of any of the euro leagues but it isn't a dog to be kicked either.

Szetella did very well amongst his peers in an international tourament and should rightfully be consider a very bright prospect just like the bright players from any other squad at that same tournament. It was the best young US squad I have ever seen displaying both technical abiltiy and some real creativity.

i understand what you are saying, but if he isn't a regular player for a team in a lesser league why should he be in a higher league? Maybe he'll improve with age, but when Everton look to buy a player of his age in a league like Denmark or Belgium or Sweden - at the very least ethey are players who are starting, scoring goals and looking bright. Not lost in the reserves.

players his age we buy from the reserves, we buy from teams like Man U, Inter, AC Milan or the likes who have big squads with world class players that fall by the wayside.

Can you understand my point? Not having a go at footy in the US.

Don't we see this sort of thing all the time? Pienaar wasn't a regular player in a 'lesser league' (aren't they all?). It's a fickle business with players on squads loaded at their position or their play doesn't fit the club's style or the coach just doesn't like them or prefers someone else. There are more football players available like this than anything else and exactly the kind of targets Moyes has made a reputation out of finding. Everton may not have the big bucks right now but I do see them investing heavily in their academy with 3 such deals in the US and a new one up in Ireland if I'm not mistaken. If you can invest a few 100K in developing players and sell them for a few million (and heck these days 5mil is cheap) you got a sustainable business model and I'll bet you'll be competitive at the top level.

I do get your point and only the future will tell us if Szetella is to become a world class player even though I say he is one today, for his age. Everton's aproach in this area is not to get everyone right but to find a few out of a bunch.

Also.. he wanted to stay in the american league to play for his local club, but got into another.. so his enthusiasm wouldn't be at the best either.. So if he goes to a club he wants to play for, he might improve his game as well.

Pienaar came second to robben as player of the season in the dutch league two years ago, before a move to the german league that didn't work out. But he has had plenty of football - and maybe he won't work out- but to compare the two players seems wrong.

The dutch and german leagues are very very good.

Not italy or spain or england but all the same, good players.

I think he's worth signing if we don't have to break the bank to get him. MLS is a pretty quality league but the MLS's record of developing players is shambolic. Though admittedly I don't watch that much MLS, I've never really seen a player take their game to another level as they gain more experience (you could make the case that Altidore has, but I think its more pure talent) in the league.

For example: Freddy Adu was next to Sergio Aguero and Maxi Morales the best player at the U-20 world cup (you could even make the case he was even better than both of them). He couldn't get off the bench at Real Salt Lake, the worst team in MLS. Granted some of it was his fault, he partied alot, didnt get along with coaches and becasue of his unbelievably huge ego, he spent his teens convinced he was the 2nd coming of Pele. However he never did get better after 4 years in MLS some even say he regressed. The talent is definitely there though he just needs to get on a club that will develop him and make him grow up a little.

So don't really think that just becasue he didn't start for the crew that he'll be rubbish.

Well I didn't say that he was rubbish because he didn't start against us (Dynamo).

What I said was that it concerns me that the next great American export is not even in the starting lineup in must win matches to keep a playoff spot.

I don't believe he was nursing an injury so the manager must have felt that the starting eleven was better without him in it.

No doubt he can play as evidenced in the U20 World Cup but I really don't think he could crack our first team right now. But in a few years....???

i saw him play in person at u-20 tournament. he knows how to win balls and control a midfield -- at least against 19 year olds...

if i'm not mistaken, the cash involved would be a drop in the bucket. (a week's salary for yakubu?) why not take the shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.