Szetela to Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rook

Player Valuation: £80m
Szetela Likely to Move Soon

by Greg Seltzer - August 27, 2007 americansoccerdaily.com

According to his representation, hot transfer topic Danny Szetela appears set to make the jump from Columbus to one of his European suitors by the time the transfer window slams shut on Friday night.

The US Under-20 ace was reportedly unimpressed with a recent extension offer from MLS, and will now look to tie up a move to either AS Roma, Everton or Reading this week. He has also received interest from the likes of Celtic, Hertha Berlin, Lazio and Rangers.

"At this stage, we have multiple things going," Shep Messing, head of the agency that manages Szetela, told American Soccer Daily on Monday afternoon.

The former Cosmos star admitted to being limited in what he could reveal, but offered his opinion that the Crew midfielder would complete a transfer this week, as opposed to after his current deal expires in December.

"That's definitely a strong possibility," said Messing. "But there are still discussions with MLS."

Szetela, a 20-year old New Jersey native, has found playing time hard to come by with the Crew.

The central midfielder has only worked six contests in 2007, and 34 in four MLS season, but gained widespread plaudits by scoring three goals at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup this summer.

I saw him play at the U-20 World cup. He's a pretty quality midfielder. However he's probaly needs a couple years to develop and will have to be loaned off. But he would be a nice pickup for the future. Reports had him signing for Roma on August 7th. But I'm not sure if talks have broke down or what. It would be nice to nip him of Roma and Reading though. We're due for some good transfer news. Maybe getting him along with Timmy could help us if we ever wanted to make a run at Altidore.

top news. i'd like everton to take the plunge on a couple of those american u-20 players.

very talented players.

I think he's of a similar mould to Cahill I'm sure we talked about him earlier in the summer and his pricetag is peanuts....what 20k 35k something unbelievably cheap in this day and age in football.

If it was a couple of million I'd say don't bother because he's a poor man's Cahill, but due to his transfer fee being that of the average fine for Van Der Meyde I think he's worth a punt.

would help push the 'brand' stateside. whos the big lad that plays in germany that is usa international CB?

I hope you don't mean Oguchi Onyewu he had a loan spell at Newcastle and was dreadful by all accounts....Titus Bramble style.

isn't he the one that plays for Watford? Jay Demerit I really rate that guy quality player.

Szetela, a 20-year old New Jersey native, has found playing time hard to come by with the Crew.

QUOTE]

Any reason for that? If he's good then they must have some great players...

Keep in mind when if comes to developing players the MLS is TERRIBLE. There are no academy/reserve teams. The teams themselves don't own the players (the league does) so there is no incentive to spend any resources in developing a player with talent. Plus the coaching isn't exactly world class. I used to think Freddu Adu was an overhyped bust. He couldn't get PT on the worst team in MLS. But when he was matched up with his peers in the U-20 WC he was incredible. The only players that were better in my opinion in the tourney was Aguero and Morales of Argentina. So don't judge players on what they do in the MLS.

Szetela contract ends Jan 1 so his transfer fee will be peanuts. He's worth a shot.

QUOTE]

Any reason for that? If he's good then they must have some great players...

If I remember right when they do play him they play him out of position. The MLS is like any club football and if you're not one of the coaches favorites pt is hard to come by.

This lad refused to sign for us after the under 17 world cup a few years ago it was the timmy M Bent signing summer. We whined and dine him and offered him a contract and he told us to get lost. he can do one.

This lad refused to sign for us after the under 17 world cup a few years ago it was the timmy M Bent signing summer. We whined and dine him and offered him a contract and he told us to get lost. he can do one.

He simply did not want to leave his family at the time. He was hopeful that he'd get the same kind of deal Adu got (to play in his home town) but they sent him to Columbus instead which really aggravated him.

Status
Not open for further replies.