Summer transfer window 2023

With Chermiti and Beto we tick off one position.

But as ive posted a few times, for the 3 attacking midfield positions, next summer only McNeil and Dobbin will be under contract.

Cornet isnt good enough for Lyon or West Ham (and aside for 3-4months) or Burnley.

Hes absolute dog dirt.

For a 25 year old whose just come back from a loan in Belgium?

Id hope we never were linked to him lol
How can you suggest Cornet wasn’t good enough for Lyon when he played about 200 times for them?

When you consider where we were a couple of months ago, no money, probably little chance of buying anybody, no strikers, I believe Kevin Thelwell has done a great job. Even today we appear to still be looking for players. So even if the newcomers turn out to be not brilliant I believe most of us would say well done Kev.
Each are deserving of their opinion but kind of on the other end on this one. Personally I have doubts on Beto, but beyond that think its a pretty gross overestimation of a deal. There are younger, more productive higher ceiling strikers across europe going for basically the same price, maybe a bit more. If that was too big an outlay to enter that tier how we didnt go the other way in investing in the high teens I don't get. Beto's ultimate deal is eating a fair bit of resources without a whole lot of assurance in being flippable or massively productive. Doesn't mean it cant work but when you have limited resources would want a little better rationale.

Beyond that we continue to be linked to wingers that dont innately play the right in the 20 25 million range. A pursuit thats basically ended any conversation of addressing other holes like LB, CB and more goals/creativity from the midfield. Of course its unrealistic to address all of that in one window on a tight budget but all the more reason to preach frugality and value in deals.

I think we should be in cheaper leagues and diversifying our acquisitions over more holes, or in the inverse solidifying with some more guaranteed assurance. Harrison Young a Danjuma loan that's what relegation range teams can do, none are expensive enough to bother me. But in addition possibly 4 players could have been had likely over Beto's and the supposed extra 25 million that links us to Sulemana (again not a right winger) and others.

I don't see us with a robust scouting network, or able to switch plans when our initial targets fall through. I don't see Thelwell extracting value. And I still see lots of holes with limited avenues to generate funds in future sales.

Last edited:
Cannon should be 5-8M for sure if Simms went for 8M. And dont forget a buy back clause Bill lol
Gray around 12M
Maupay loan
Iwobi book value of close to 8M so between 12M - 15M let him go.

Then IN:
Cornet: 12M ? He cost 17.5M
The German defender: 8M or something as this 5M reported seems a bit low.
The midfielder from Brighton on loan

And then Gomes and Gbamin to Turkey after the window closes lol

Come on Kev !! Quite a bit to do in 2,5 days !!!
In principle agree. I'm not too keen on Cornet ( although I'm not as opposed as Zat ) but £12 m seems way too high. Loan with an option. Wham will be desperate to move him on.

Is every step on the clubs there a step up or a step down to when they ultimately ended up being deemed surplus for a loan to Everton - youve pretty much proven my point there. Its like they had obvious quality and ultimately got lost, dismissed by others, deemed surplus, loaned out and considered misfits.

Many wont remember but both Arteta and to lesser extent Pienarr took a while even to take off here - Arteta in particular, many didn't want to sign him permenently.

Point being, i wouldnt sniff at a player linked on the basis of the clubs they played for and haven't made it - you've just written the examples above.

Leave it to me - someone has the fight corner of championing the cause of signing young players with potential on here! lol

Good post. Although Cornet is 27 in September so hardly young (although I appreciate that bit will have been largely tongue in cheek based on who you were replying to)

Apparently suffered a very rare and nagging injury which kept him out for a lengthy portion of time last season which is a little disconcerting especially with Everton's past and current injury crisises
The injury is a concern but those who are suggesting that Cornet isn't a player of the same standard as McNeil or Harrison are just being silly. He's alright. Whether he can help us stay up, who knows?