Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re not asking for 40 million when they’ve instructed all the Spanish papers to report that they want at least 20 million.

That’s not how the game works.

“Sources in Spain claim the Catalan club want “at least £17.3m” for the midfielder, who has formed a formidable partnership with Idrissa Gueye in the Everton engine room.”

“But his actual asking price is set to be much higher as Barcelona valued him in the £40m bracket last summer and believe he has grown in value.”

“Everton have no guaranteed or mandatory option to buy Gomes for a set fee so any deal would have to be thrashed out with club and player.”

“Barcelona rated Gomes so highly when they signed him from Valencia that they inserted a release clause in his contract which is now worth £86.6m.”

Barca don’t have the obligation to sell to anyone (Even Everton with no obligation or option to buy in his loan agreement) unless someone meets the buyout clause in his contract and why would they automatically take a £20m hit on the player without trying to recupe as much as they can for the player?

Like you said that’s not how the game works.

They are trying to get more bidders to the table with the initial bid starting at £17m and what better way to jack up the price on him than to create a bidding war between 2-3 premier league clubs? And even if we were the only ones in for him they can push the price up themselves with his release clause because nowhere does it say they have to sell unless it seems fit for them.

Easy tactics to get the most they can out of a player that they believe they can get close to their money back on.

Last edited:
....spending big doesn’t necessarily mean you are buying quality. There are plenty of expensive failures, just like there are plenty of bargains. The situation is the same as it’s always been, it’s about buying very good footballers who fit into the playing strategy.

One of the lads who does a lot of evaluation of transfer for Liverpool estimated around 50% of transfers work out to be a success (I am not entirely sure how he defined success, possible sold for the same or more money). He said spending lots of money tends to boost that to around 60% but it's not like massive differences. The caveat of course is what is meant by being a success varies the bigger the club you go too.

The amount of money spent is important but really not imperative to transfers. Creating the right environment/spirit from the team to management would make a much bigger difference to me as well as having a clear plan for where players fit in. I'd then say giving players enough time to settle helps.

I'd keep vlasic. Lookman is gonna get off - we need another CM, CB (zouma won't sign), competition for SC23, Hopefully another CAM to give Sigs some comp too. Get rid of a lot of dead wood - Send out Davies on loan?
If you’re keeping Vlasic, surely then he’s back up to Sig. And how do you know Zouma won’t sign. For me we need a new first choice Right back, Coleman has improved lately, but someone with Digne’s quality on the right could be worth 10 extra points.

Heard from a reliable source at the club, CANT TELL TOU WHO OBVS Mirallas, Bolasie, Vlasic, Martina, Williams, Garbutt, Besic, McCarthy, Sandro, Niasse all sold to the knackers yard.

Huge loss obviously.

Stand on me.

- Mirallas. Can't see anyone buying him. Going to be another loan.
- Bolasie. Just hope Palace want him back for £10m or a promoted team.
- Martina - £0 please someone just take him!
- Vlasic. Keep for backup to Siggy and also CM.
- McCarthy. No point selling as we wont get anything.
- Besic - sell. £10m
- Garbutt. See Martina.
- Sandro. This underpins the problem with loaning someone who is gash. People actually get to see how gash he is. Going to have to loan this clown out again.
- Niasse. Surely someone will buy him?
- Schneiderlin. Think someone like West Ham will stump up £15m for him.

“Sources in Spain claim the Catalan club want “at least £17.3m” for the midfielder, who has formed a formidable partnership with Idrissa Gueye in the Everton engine room.”

“But his actual asking price is set to be much higher as Barcelona valued him in the £40m bracket last summer and believe he has grown in value.”

“Everton have no guaranteed or mandatory option to buy Gomes for a set fee so any deal would have to be thrashed out with club and player.”

“Barcelona rated Gomes so highly when they signed him from Valencia that they inserted a release clause in his contract which is now worth £86.6m.”

Barca don’t have the obligation to sell to anyone (Even Everton with no obligation or option to buy or in his loan agreement) unless someone meets the buyout clause in his contract and why would they automatically take a £20m hit on the player without trying to recuping as much as they can for the player?

They are trying to get more bidders to the table with the initial bid starting at £17m and what better way to jack up the price on him than to create a bidding war between 2-3 premier league clubs? And even if we were the only ones in for him they can push the price up themselves with his release clause because nowhere does it say they have to sell unless it seems fit for them.

Easy tactics to get the most they can out of a player that they believe they can get close to their money back on.

Whatever article that's from its a load of rubbish.

The release clause is in there by law as per La Liga regulation. Every player has a release clause, quite often a lot more than their market value to protect the asset. Absolutely no chance they are getting anywhere near that release clause for him

So I'd ignore everything from that article tbh.

Vlasic and Onyekuru to come into the squad and permanent Zouma and Gomez signings. Hopefully we can flog the deadwood and add one more quality player, Nerez or Werner would be the dream scenario.

Ill bite your hand off for those 5 additions right now.

Gana will also need replacing, 29 with good market value, Marcel won't get caught out here.

- Mirallas. Can't see anyone buying him. Going to be another loan.
- Bolasie. Just hope Palace want him back for £10m or a promoted team.
- Martina - £0 please someone just take him!
- Vlasic. Keep for backup to Siggy and also CM.
- McCarthy. No point selling as we wont get anything.
- Besic - sell. £10m
- Garbutt. See Martina.
- Sandro. This underpins the problem with loaning someone who is gash. People actually get to see how gash he is. Going to have to loan this clown out again.
- Niasse. Surely someone will buy him?
- Schneiderlin. Think someone like West Ham will stump up £15m for him.
Mirallas & McCarthy both out of contract next summer 2020. So no point in loaning them out

Barca don’t have the obligation to sell to anyone (Even Everton with no obligation or option to buy in his loan agreement) unless someone meets the buyout clause in his contract and why would they automatically take a £20m hit on the player without trying to recupe as much as they can for the player?

The man who wrote all that is a good Blue but he has no sources when it comes to believing that Barca have raised the price.

They need to shift wages. They’ll take hits on some players - Gomes, who has had major struggles at Camp Nou, is very likely to be one of them.

Whatever article that's from its a load of rubbish.

The release clause is in there by law as per La Liga regulation. Every player has a release clause, quite often a lot more than their market value to protect the asset. Absolutely no chance they are getting anywhere near that release clause for him

So I'd ignore everything from that article tbh.

It’s from the Daily Star first off and second I never said they were asking for his £86.6m release clause. No one in their right mind would buy Gomes for that.

I did quote however that they are starting the bidding at £17.3m and are aiming to get back £40m for him. And if they think the bidding is going to slow or Everton are the only bidders and our offer is too low they can say “You know that you want him and we know that he wants to come to you but we have absolutely no obligation to sell unless for some reason you trigger his buyout clause. Now since no one else went in for a bid for him, we believe we can sell him for 17.3m anymore and think he’s valued around £25m to the club so pay that or we won’t sell.”

I am not convinced really mate. It works for him at Everton, and there's no guarantee it would at Spurs.

I think he will come, most of these news stories are about bluff and counter bluff over the fee we pay.

There is the hope that we’ve woo’d him enough. And I hope so.

But Spurs and a few others are annoyingly attractive options. And Gomes is dead good.

Status
Not open for further replies.