Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I think there's a clear reason we failed to bring a striker and defender in during the last week or so of the window and it's because we had no transfer funds left. There was a dependency on bringing money in from the sale of Barkley which never materialised.

Then why did we spend 8m on Vlasic?

DCL had looked really good so far this season. If he can keep improving and add goals, we could have a serious player on our hands. His finish in the Europa league shows he has the capacity to do that.

My thoughts on the current squad.

GOALKEEPERS:
Pickford
Steklenberg
Joel

Pickford a great acquisition. Could prove our best over time. Stekelenburg and Joel both capable of deputising as 2nd 3rd choices. Although I'm amazed Joel hasn't left.

CENTRE BACKS
Jagielka
Keane
Williams
Holgate
Besic (potentially)
Funes (out for the season)

Keane is a superb signing but we've neither the depth or quality to consistently play a back 3. If we revert to a 2 we might get away with it, but Keane is gonna have to play a mountain of games. Overall needed another.

FULLBACKS
Coleman (Nov/Dec??)
Baines
Martina
Holgate
Kenny
Garbutt

Need Coleman fit clearly. No cover of any quality at left back. Needed another.

MIDFIELD
Schneiderlein
Gueye
Davies
Mccarthy
Besic

Surprised we didn't sell Mccarthy but since he's here he can be used in midweek games if he finally recovers from hammy troubles. We can rotate here but the drop off in quality between our 2 first choice is massive

ATTACKING MIDFIELDERS/WIDE MEN
Siguurdson
Klaasen
Barkley
Rooney
Lennon
Mirallas
Vlasic
Lennon
Lookman
Bolasie (Dec/Jan??)

Improved our quality here enormously but also lots of utter dross fringe players. Also doubt Barkley will play for the club again. Gives us options in how we set up but gonna be hard to find the right system.

STRIKERS
DCL
Sandro
Rooney (occasionally)

No depth and lack of quality. Need DCL to become a regular goalscorer very quickly and that's a lot of pressure on him that he doesn't need or deserve. Sandro similar, he needs time but we need goals. We need the ball to stick too amd im not sure thats going to happen on a regular basis. We are at least one short.

I know the positive points people are making and im not not positive, but im not stupid either and it is poor fair not getting in a striker and some big questions need answering.

I said i wouldnt judge the window and new regime after this window, ill be posting more views on this.

I think this is a decent view;

There is a difference between not replacing Rom with a Striker of similar quality (very difficult) and not buying a striker of any quality or experience to fill the position.
Even unappealing shouts of Deeney, Okaka, or even Shane Long would have been SOMEONE playing up front who has done it before in some meaningful way. The most experienced Premiership Striker in the Squad (discounting Rooney who doesn't play there anymore) is probably Niasse who doesn't even have a locker and we can't sell to anyone.

Last edited:
Don't get it, we bring in one of the most creative midfielders in sigurdsson, not to mention one of the most successful English players in Rooney and still people think we'll be rubbish?!?!?
Here's a novel idea and one I know some of you will choke on, let's try to be positive about the team-
A much stronger squad than we've had for a very long time
hugely exciting teens coming through
European football

What does being positive actually do tho? I have had it with "positive" people... if things are ok then look at the positives... of things are bad but are worse than normal you can look at positives .... when your club HAS NO STRIKER! Please tell me what being positive will do?

Will DCL suddenly start bullying defenders and scoring 15+ a season , becuase of my positive thoughts and Internet posts?

I waited until the end of the window to complain as I thought that would be fair... and I'm happy with our signings ... but..., how on gods earth did we balls this up again?

How you feeling ferrets? What a ride! Was it worth it all? The obsession? The time invested? Did you reach any sort of fulfilment?

Transfer Deadline Day was a bit of dud don't you think. All that hype and nothing much happened. Hang on, wasn't that the same for the last one and the ones before that? Do you reckon you're just sucked into a hype machine and you contribute to it by participating in the hysteria?

So what you gonna do now? I'm worried you won't get through these four months without being able to demonstrate your superior scouting and recruitment knowledge.

Mind you the new FIFA is out in two weeks so I'm confident you can hone your skills to new levels just in time for January.

Genuinely hoping you find your true calling of Newcastle before then you box room Geordie ferrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.