Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to get these deals sorted soon, striker, sigurdsson and a cb and left back - worrying we've let every young left back at the club go out on loan.

That's before we even look at the fact we have absolutely zero pace in the team, teams like spurs and the rs will absolutely press us to death high up with nothing to worry about on the counter from us.

Slow at the back, slow up front,not exactly a great combination.

Overall it's hard to actually tell right now if we are stronger, weaker or about the same.

Midfield we are probably gonna end up with Klassen and Sigurdsson replacing Barkley and Davies - so on paper at leats a upgrade, but both new, one unproven in the league, and actually overall probably slows us down a bit.

Defence we've just simply added Keane which improves us, but have Coleman out for half a season to be replaced by Martina, depth at the positions is no better and probably worse than last years (left back, Mori's injury andgeneral ageing across the back 4)

Keeper - long term should be a massive improvement, short term probably not as big an improvement though.

Up front, Added an ageing Rooney and Sandro, to replace Lukaku and Mirallas more than likely in the starting 11, as it stands that is a massive downgrade.

Spent ashed load of money - fair enough (even though it's all been recouped in sales) - but all i am seeing is a reshaping of the squad rather than any significant improvement which would push us up a level.

We'd need to add Siguirdsson and Giroud IMO to be able to say the first 11 has overall improved a bit, for a significant improvement, we'd need those two, a starting quality centre back a genuine option to Baines at left back, and an attacking player with genuine pace AND a bit of quality.

Don't see that happening though, which would make me wonder just how much we where ever willing to push the boat out this summer to improve.

Improving overall the squad is brilliant and suchlike, but if the best starting 11 you can put out hasn't changed or gotten weaker then overall the team will still get dry bummed by the better teams in the league

As for our major problem last season - our terrible away form, i don't see how slowing our attack down even more is going to change that overly
This is probably everything I would have liked to say myself mate, a succinct summing up of where we are at right now.
Can't really see us improving on last season without some very astute buys coming in, just hope Walsh and Koeman are well aware too!

Need to get these deals sorted soon, striker, sigurdsson and a cb and left back - worrying we've let every young left back at the club go out on loan.

That's before we even look at the fact we have absolutely zero pace in the team, teams like spurs and the rs will absolutely press us to death high up with nothing to worry about on the counter from us.

Slow at the back, slow up front,not exactly a great combination.

Overall it's hard to actually tell right now if we are stronger, weaker or about the same.

Midfield we are probably gonna end up with Klassen and Sigurdsson replacing Barkley and Davies - so on paper at leats a upgrade, but both new, one unproven in the league, and actually overall probably slows us down a bit.

Defence we've just simply added Keane which improves us, but have Coleman out for half a season to be replaced by Martina, depth at the positions is no better and probably worse than last years (left back, Mori's injury andgeneral ageing across the back 4)

Keeper - long term should be a massive improvement, short term probably not as big an improvement though.

Up front, Added an ageing Rooney and Sandro, to replace Lukaku and Mirallas more than likely in the starting 11, as it stands that is a massive downgrade.

Spent ashed load of money - fair enough (even though it's all been recouped in sales) - but all i am seeing is a reshaping of the squad rather than any significant improvement which would push us up a level.

We'd need to add Siguirdsson and Giroud IMO to be able to say the first 11 has overall improved a bit, for a significant improvement, we'd need those two, a starting quality centre back a genuine option to Baines at left back, and an attacking player with genuine pace AND a bit of quality.

Don't see that happening though, which would make me wonder just how much we where ever willing to push the boat out this summer to improve.

Improving overall the squad is brilliant and suchlike, but if the best starting 11 you can put out hasn't changed or gotten weaker then overall the team will still get dry bummed by the better teams in the league

As for our major problem last season - our terrible away form, i don't see how slowing our attack down even more is going to change that overly

Luke Garbutt scored yesterday mate. For Everton I should add.

...I assume the loan deal for Antonee Robinson means Calum Connolly is going nowhere. Interesting links with Welbeck. It's probably nonsense but he's clearly more mobile and pacy than most of the central strikers we've been linked with.

Problem with Welbeck is that even in a United system and an Arsenal one which don't put that much demand on 'running a lot' he has a woeful injury record, can only imagine that becoming even worse in our managers system.

Be paying 30m for 10-15 games a season, he also would solve the pace issue we have (when available) but would in no way shape or form solve the biggest issue which is a massive disconnect between the midfield and strikers - which honestly can only be sorted with bringing in someone who can serve as a focal point and hold up the ball​

Luke Garbutt scored yesterday mate. For Everton I should add.

Was it in the under 23's pre season game mate?

Honestly forgot he was even still at the club, signed a new contract and then just disappeared on bad loan after bad loan.

My guess is that Martina is somehow gonna provide cover for both spots, which is an absolutely horrendous thought, means that even after Coleman is back we are still likely to see him starting games - only this time way out of position which should make him even more rock solid...

Was it in the under 23's pre season game mate?

Honestly forgot he was even still at the club, signed a new contract and then just disappeared on bad loan after bad loan.

My guess is that Martina is somehow gonna provide cover for both spots, which is an absolutely horrendous thought, means that even after Coleman is back we are still likely to see him starting games - only this time way out of position which should make him even more rock solid...
I am a fan of Cuco as well mate, but I would not go so far as to call him 'rock solid'. In my opinion, he's more a flair player with great energy and pace and a wicked cross ball.

Welbeck!! :oops:
af79266bf6265cfc0d74bc7ec34b51a0.gif

I doubt it if we'll sign the striker this week.

It will be Sigurdsson alone if that gets done at all. Just to get that done would be something, even though it would probably be the end of the month before he is match fit anyway.

The momentum and excitement seems to have drained away with each passing week, which is a real shame considering we got out of the blocks so fast. I did think that the Lukaku transfer would have triggered a second wave of signings, but it has not proved to be, which is not particularly the clubs fault, though I think very much like Witsel last year, too much time has been wasted pursuing Sigurdsson. Clubs can smell that need a mile off, and Swansea have exploited it. Proper planning is about having other viable options, as well as efficient execution.

We have to judge the window on the whole period, so if they get in the additional three than RK wants and which we badly need, then in overall terms it will be very successful, at least in terms of reshaping the squad and getting targets in. It will be on RK's shoulders to make a team from so many new individuals.

I hope it won't be a case of things just petering out between now and August 31 though, we badly need those extra signings to turn a good window into a very good one. We probably won't have an opportunity to bring in players in quantity terms alone on this level again for another generation, and we will also have to incorporate stadium financing and repayments very soon. Next summers window I predict will be interminably boring compared to this, so we have to strike whilst the iron is hot, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.