Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and another striker. I'd actually put that at the top of the list now. We are well short of goal threat.

Anyone still think a goal scorer wasn't a priority in the summer?

As far as ;'m concerned we dont have an attacker. We have opted not to go with an attacker this season.

It's shocking to think a decision was made that Tosun and DCL were good enough for us this season. If it hadn't been for Richarlison we would have no goal 18 yard box threat whatsoever.

As far as ;'m concerned we dont have an attacker. We have opted not to go with an attacker this season.

It's shocking to think a decision was made that Tosun and DCL were good enough for us this season. If it hadn't been for Richarlison we would have no goal 18 yard box threat whatsoever.

While you are correct, the amount of players we brought in this summer was always going to be tough to integrate them all, and priorities were also at left back and centre back as also down the flanks!
Take out Pickford, Coleman & at a push Gana & Walcott, a whole new team was/is required!
Aswell as having to work on a budget and Richarlison and Mina costing a good whack of our budget (Richarlison was always going to be Silva's no.1 priority), bringing in a 50m/60m centre forward was not a realistic ask!
If we are to do this properly, and i like to think Brands and Silva are, i would much prefer waiting for that centre forward of genuine quality (similar to what we did with Richarlison), then spend a little less and have to take a gamble on centre forward (like we did withTosun)

We do need a striker it seems, but I still think bringing in the players we did was the right move. The defence is looking a lot better and so are the flanks. If we can get a really good striker and midfielder(unless Gomes hits the ground running) in january, this might look like a real team. We lost yesterday, but there were signs of better things to come in our playing. If we get the right pieces for our pussel come january, I think our team can improve a lot.

Just out of interest, who would you have brought in?

We do need a striker it seems, but I still think bringing in the players we did was the right move. The defence is looking a lot better and so are the flanks. If we can get a really good striker and midfielder(unless Gomes hits the ground running) in january, this might look like a real team. We lost yesterday, but there were signs of better things to come in our playing. If we get the right pieces for our pussel come january, I think our team can improve a lot.

Agree with everything apart from the bit in bold, mate...

The personnel seem better, and we're waiting for Mina to get fit. Keane looks a different player to last year. But, as a team, we can't defend for Toffee (pardon the pun).

losing lukaku and barkley in one season and not replacing them properly has killed us. I would try for Barkley on loan for 6 months, there no creativity in the middle of the park what so ever.
If he is available on a free next year james milner, even if its only for a 1 year deal.

While you are correct, the amount of players we brought in this summer was always going to be tough to integrate them all, and priorities were also at left back and centre back as also down the flanks!
Take out Pickford, Coleman & at a push Gana & Walcott, a whole new team was/is required!
Aswell as having to work on a budget and Richarlison and Mina costing a good whack of our budget (Richarlison was always going to be Silva's no.1 priority), bringing in a 50m/60m centre forward was not a realistic ask!
If we are to do this properly, and i like to think Brands and Silva are, i would much prefer waiting for that centre forward of genuine quality (similar to what we did with Richarlison), then spend a little less and have to take a gamble on centre forward (like we did withTosun)
It’s obviously going to take a couple of years, for silva & Brands to get the squad they want.
It’s impossible to change everything straight away.

If you look at them across the park, Klopp came and changed the style, high intensity and he inherited a better squad than silva
has, but in the last 2 years he’s added quality. First mane who could be our Richarlison, though Richarlison has a much higher ceiling imo. The next year Salah, then VVD. And a goalkeeper & midfielder this year.

I’m sure we will add a top class striker and midfielder in the next 2 windows, maybe a Lazono too, who knows. And if Keane doesn’t work out and Holgate doesn’t kick on I’m sure we will bring in another Centre back.

I’m optimistic fir the future, I think the new signings this season have looked our better players. And there seems to be a plan moving forward.

I think we wasted loan deal cash on Gomes and we could have sold Lookman, got cut price deals for Mirallas, Vlasic etc - all worthless to us now anyway and got a decent striker in.

The real reason we didn't I feel is that Tosun and DCL were assessed and thought up to the job. That's appalling.

It’s obviously going to take a couple of years, for silva & Brands to get the squad they want.
It’s impossible to change everything straight away.

If you look at them across the park, Klopp came and changed the style, high intensity and he inherited a better squad than silva
has, but in the last 2 years he’s added quality. First mane who could be our Richarlison, though Richarlison has a much higher ceiling imo. The next year Salah, then VVD. And a goalkeeper & midfielder this year.

I’m sure we will add a top class striker and midfielder in the next 2 windows, maybe a Lazono too, who knows. And if Keane doesn’t work out and Holgate doesn’t kick on I’m sure we will bring in another Centre back.

I’m optimistic fir the future, I think the new signings this season have looked our better players. And there seems to be a plan moving forward.
I said that before richarlison, walcott and tosun, is a poor mans version of mane, salah and firminio.
pace on the flanks and workrate down the middle

If we really want a decent striker than we are going to have to spend around 60 - 80 million pound on one of them. If we look to spend 20 - 30 million on a new striker, then we will end up with more dross like Tosun and Niasse.

In an ideal world, we would look to get an unknown and yet to be proven striker that has the potential to become a 70 million pound striker. But this strategy is so high risk, and there is every possibility that you end up with another dud like Klassen etc.

Given that we will struggle to attract very good strikers, I think we may need to overpay a bit, or pay big money for someone who only has a few years left in their career. People will argue that paying 70 million for a 31 year would be insane, and I can understand why they say that. But I’d rather pay through the nose for two or three years of quality, rather than messing about with the likes of Tosun, as we will get absolutely nowhere with these types of players, and its not like they exactly come cheap either.

losing lukaku and barkley in one season and not replacing them properly has killed us. I would try for Barkley on loan for 6 months, there no creativity in the middle of the park what so ever.
If he is available on a free next year james milner, even if its only for a 1 year deal.

Out of principal we should never be even entertaining barkleys name ever again

As a fan base we do get precious about calling players "traitors" and hating on them for not wanting to stay at everton and leave for a better team (Lukaku a great example), but Barkley absolutely rinsed us and as a "boyhood blue" that one hurt more than any others who have no real afinity with us apart from we gave them some games when other teams wouldnt

If we really want a decent striker than we are going to have to spend around 60 - 80 million pound on one of them. If we look to spend 20 - 30 million on a new striker, then we will end up with more dross like Tosun and Niasse.

In an ideal world, we would look to get an unknown and yet to be proven striker that has the potential to become a 70 million pound striker. But this strategy is so high risk, and there is every possibility that you end up with another dud like Klassen etc.

Given that we will struggle to attract very good strikers, I think we may need to overpay a bit, or pay big money for someone who only has a few years left in their career. People will argue that paying 70 million for a 31 year would be insane, and I can understand why they say that. But I’d rather pay through the nose for two or three years of quality, rather than messing about with the likes of Tosun, as we will get absolutely nowhere with these types of players, and its not like they exactly come cheap either.
really???

top 10 transfers fees all time
Neymar, mbappe, coutinho, pogba, dembele, bale, ronaldo, higuain, lukaku, van dijk

you wouldnt really call any of them a flop. the players that usually go for big transfer fees, more often then not work out.

I think we wasted loan deal cash on Gomes and we could have sold Lookman, got cut price deals for Mirallas, Vlasic etc - all worthless to us now anyway and got a decent striker in.

The real reason we didn't I feel is that Tosun and DCL were assessed and thought up to the job. That's appalling.

I think the Tosun thing is a case of we were not prepared or even allowed to "give up" on another big money signing!

Personally i felt he wasent good enough after a few games, ive always felt he is a type of signing crystal palace or huddersfield or southampton would make!

SAy we sold lookman for 22m, saved 4m on Gomes and made minimal on Vlasic/Mirallas (12m), that leaves you with 38m, who would you of got in for that cash that would improve the side in theory

I think if we are going to replace the likes of Tosun/DCL we cant mess around with 30m strikers, we need to look in the higher bracket, someone that people would go "Jeez everton have done well to get him" for someone like that we could need 50-60m, and on top of what we spent,i just couldnt picture us doing that

(As a sidenote, and a head start i noticed Andre Silva went on loan to sevilla this season and has sarted really well, that would of been an option, but also still a gamble)

Status
Not open for further replies.