Votes: 52 6.0%
  • OUT

Votes: 727 84.4%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 82 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wise man Mr Walsh, always best to move when at the top - it couldn't realistically get any better for Leicester than now, so perfect time to move. He'd have the pick of the Premiership and he's chosen us, that speaks volumes.

Lets not jump to excitement again here and remember this location is the most suited for the man; with the most substantial wage packet. I think it's important not to jump the gun about our future and remain grounded. We are Everton, upper management can talk about us being new and rejuvenated but until that is actually over the dotted line - key targets are signed and the foundations are in the ground and the diggers on site for the new stadium we are still plucky Everton. Actions speak not words.

Lets not jump to excitement again here and remember this location is the most suited for the man; with the most substantial wage packet. I think it's important not to jump the gun about our future and remain grounded. We are Everton, upper management can talk about us being new and rejuvenated but until that is actually over the dotted line - key targets are signed and the foundations are in the ground and the diggers on site for the new stadium we are still plucky Everton. Actions speak not words.
I would have thought getting our number 1 managerial target (against all odds according to the media) and convincing the DOF to join us from the champions only weeks after signing a new contract, are the two most important targets for the long term stability and success of the club. Players will follow on due course I'm sure.

Is this the same chap that would have been trying to buy Troy Deeney for £25m or so? Not sure he fits the calibre we were after.. Feels a little lower on the ladder than Monchi
Also the same man that has a significant input in signing half of the title winning team. I'm sure he does fit the calibre we are after.

Mmmmmmm, what if his first move is to sell Stones and buy Huth, ooooh the opionaters will be down on him like a pack of wolves...

Leicester City’s Steve Walsh – The Irish Super Scout
The PA Team October 2, 2014 1,690 Views

Name: Steve Walsh

Job: Assistant Manager at Leicester City.

Previous clubs: Bury, Chester, Chelsea, Newcastle United, Hull City.

Did you know: Steve worked as Chelsea’s European scout under Jose Mourinho.

What do you know about the man who is credited with signing Didier Drogba, Gianfranco Zola and Michael Essien for Chelsea? Probably very little, but this man is closer to home than you might think.

Steve Walsh, who is now assistant manager to Nigel Pearson at high flying Leicester City, is the man credited with these signings, and he hails from, and has strong family connections with, Castlebar.

Walsh spent 16 years as a scout at Chelsea, as well as working with Newcastle United, Hull City and Leicester. His father Stephen is from Castlebar, whilst his first cousin Michael Walsh is a well respected referee and former player, who once scored four goals for Mayo in an Oscar Traynor Cup match.

Steve is also the brother of former Republic of Ireland and Porto player, Mickey Walsh.

Steve’s father Stephen was born and raised in Cornanool, just outside Castlebar. He moved to Blackburn, and married Kathleen Mitchell, from Williamstown in County Galway, before moving to Chorley in Lancashire.

Their cousin Michael Walsh has fond memories of when Steve and Mickey used to come to Castlebar to spend their summers.

“Steve and Mickey used to spend their summers with us in St. Patrick’s Avenue. They were great. Every summer from 1958 to 1970 they came over. We always played football on the green, and both Steve and Mickey used to play in the town seven a side league at the time,” said Michael.

Whilst Mickey went on to play for Blackpool, Everton, QPR and Porto, Steve undertook his coaching badges in the early 70s.

Before he joined Chelsea in 1990, he worked as a physical education teacher, and combined the two roles for some time.

“I was still teaching but I was paid decently for part-time work. Towards the end I was getting on a plane on a Friday after school, getting back on a Sunday and then going straight back to school again on the Monday. I think at that point it was decided I would finally make the plunge,” declared Walsh.

He also had the privilege of working alongside Jose Mourinho and Andre Villas-Boas at the club, learning that Mourinho’s attention detail was second to none.

“He (Mourinho) is very methodical, doesn’t leave anything to chance. What is their preferred method of attack? If that doesn’t work, what’s the second method and the third? How many times do they give it to the left centre-back or do they always give it to the right centre-back?” added Walsh.

Walsh currently works for Leicester City, he is assistant manager of the first team, as well as being their head of recruitment.

The club are currently flying in the Premier League, coming off the back of a famous 5-3 victory over Manchester United recently.

Leonardo Ulloa scored two that day, another player which Walsh recommended signing.

He is currently at his second spell with Leicester City, originally joining in 2008. Before that, he left Chelsea to join Newcastle United as chief scout in 2006, where he met Nigel Pearson. When Pearson was offered the manager’s job at Leicester City, Walsh went with him.

A further spell at Hull City was sandwiched in between his two spells at Leicester, where he now sits alongside Pearson in the stands during matches.

“Nigel makes the decisions,” Walsh said, “but I would say he makes informed decisions based on a lot of knowledge from a lot of people, so it’s a real collegiate approach.”

It is obviously a ploy which is working, Pearson and Walsh have masterminded a home win over United as well as draws with fellow Premier League heavyweights Arsenal and Everton, at Leicester’s home ground, the King Power Stadium.

Nigel Naughton, Pundit Are

Im keeping my fingers crossed, after losing steve brown to united earlier.. we need some experienced heads in the scouting department. I hope this is agreed already and not us reacting to united pinching one of our scouts. Maybe mourinho wanted walsh.

If this comes off then, well... fair play.

I wonder how much impact he'd have on our supposed impending transfer incomings

Mmmmmmm, what if his first move is to sell Stones and buy Huth, ooooh the opionaters will be down on him like a pack of wolves...

I'll take Huth along with some promising young CB that needs a year or two before they are ready.

This also means Mahrez is coming right?

So who would have more influence when it comes to signings? Walsh or Koeman?
Does Walsh make a list and Koeman takes it from there or does Walsh say "This guy." and it happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.