Stake. Com

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember, many years ago, a family member sitting there, saying nothing, then suddenly bursting into tears. Turns out he had racked up just shy of 23k in gambling debts. He kept going big on each bet in the hope of 'getting ahead of the game', but he just got further and further into debt. That was down to his own stupidity and weakness, not sponsorship deals or adverts. Sometimes, people need to take responsibility for their own actions.
This. I got into massive trouble with gambling. Nothing at all seeing it on a shirt or a advert. I am an addict. I wanted to bet so I did. No-one to blame but myself.

Yes I hate the club have done this but it won't make me bet again.

I remember, many years ago, a family member sitting there, saying nothing, then suddenly bursting into tears. Turns out he had racked up just shy of 23k in gambling debts. He kept going big on each bet in the hope of 'getting ahead of the game', but he just got further and further into debt. That was down to his own stupidity and weakness, not sponsorship deals or adverts. Sometimes, people need to take responsibility for their own actions.
It’s a disease, the Merson thing on BBC hit the mark, all about brain chemistry and addictive behaviour, it’s still available to watch on iplayer. It’s a massive issue that causes untold misery, but having a gambling firm on our shirts impacts that not one iota. Hope your family member got the professional support they needed.

biggest 4 tips are: 1) whatever you buy, consider it a failed gamble and try to forget about it until everyone starts saying 'BTC to the moon' or you see the words 'BTC hits new all time high'. 2) BTC is the least risky crypto (excluding stablecoins which are just representations of (predominantly) USD) - so it's probably the most durable & least volatile of the crypto's (but its still massively volatile) ... but then if you follow step one you won't have any sleepless nights. 3) you don't have to buy a whole one. you can buy down to 7 decimal places (IIRC) in most of them. 4) if you do stray from BTC, buy something that provides a utility, something you like the idea of what it's going to achieve, and something that you can generate more of them through staking (but seriously, don't stray from BTC unless you really do want to get involved properly in terms of keeping up with news and events on a half daily basis)
I don't understand what you're talking about at all. To me, money is pounds, dollars, yen etc etc, all backed by the government controlled issuing banks, ie Bank of England. Who backs these and why would I deal in them?

Oh you’re coming across really well here with your total absence of sympathy for a family member who clearly had huge problems.

‘Weakness.’ Jesus Christ.

It’s a disease, the Merson thing on BBC hit the mark, all about brain chemistry and addictive behaviour, it’s still available to watch on iplayer. It’s a massive issue that causes untold misery, but having a gambling firm on our shirts impacts that not one iota. Hope your family member got the professional support they needed.
Trouble is Merson is a massive bell. He even promotes gambling or used to.

I’m not really arsed about the sponsor. It is what it is and we aren’t in a good position financially to be choosy. I have friends who do bet responsibly and have some that have gotten themselves up the creek doing it. If people want to bet it’s down to them and to me no betting company shirt sponsor is going to make me want to bet.
At the end of the day it’s all about personal choice and willpower. Some have willpower and some don’t and we can’t spend our lives nannying those who don’t. (Sorry if that view seems a bit blasé and might offend some of you)
I would gladly help friends in difficulty who need it but they themselves need to realise they have a problem and seek help for it. All you can do is be there for them while they get the help they need.

You don't actually know what an addiction is do you? Or how triggers can literally affect brain function to wildly different degrees in different people.

The gambling industry has spent a fortune on researching scientifically proven methods of triggering the addictive response that they know are part of the biological make-up of a small percentage of their customer base and also normalising the attitude that gambling is an intrinsic part of watching sport - that's true irresponsibility.

That is utter nonsense. If this were true then everyone would be addicted. Same goes for Alcohol. It affects the weak and the stupid, chasing the dragon so to speak. Betting companies have been around since early 1800s, they are not going away. If you think having the word Stake on a kit is going to trigger people then you need to put down your amateur pysch book

The good news is surely it is just for this year only? By next season it will be outlawed so we can find another. If we have a decent season without flirting with relegation hopefully that will give us a better footing to get a half decent company.

The good news is surely it is just for this year only? By next season it will be outlawed so we can find another. If we have a decent season without flirting with relegation hopefully that will give us a better footing to get a half decent company.
I imagine that if it is outlawed, it won’t take immediate effect. Perhaps they’ll let any existing contracts expire naturally, or at least put a 2 or 3 year timescale on the law coming into effect.

I imagine that if it is outlawed, it won’t take immediate effect. Perhaps they’ll let any existing contracts expire naturally, or at least put a 2 or 3 year timescale on the law coming into effect.

Good point, I guess we will see what happens. I would hope that when the law changes there will be significant pressure on the club to change IF a release clause makes it possible.

That is utter nonsense. If this were true then everyone would be addicted. Same goes for Alcohol. It affects the weak and the stupid, chasing the dragon so to speak. Betting companies have been around since early 1800s, they are not going away. If you think having the word Stake on a kit is going to trigger people then you need to put down your amateur pysch book
I wouldn't call myself weak or stupid and I find that quite insulting.

Good point, I guess we will see what happens. I would hope that when the law changes there will be significant pressure on the club to change IF a release clause makes it possible.
Yeah, at a minimum it’ll throw renewed attention on the decision to go with them.

If the increase over Cazoo really is as minimal as has been suggested (less than a million a year, I think I heard), this really seems a pretty baffling decision to me.

It smacks of more commercial incompetence from the board.

I don't understand what you're talking about at all. To me, money is pounds, dollars, yen etc etc, all backed by the government controlled issuing banks, ie Bank of England. Who backs these and why would I deal in them?
I mean I was giving tips to a guy who might want to buy some crypto and wanted some general advice (as you can see it wasn't 'put your house on crypto... quite the opposite), and you seemed to decide that post was a way for you to question the validity of crypto, but I digress.

Who backs governments and banks? same answer.

Why can you buy and sell 0.5% the amount of gold that ever existed since the dawn of time globally on the LCM in a DAY... who backs that? because thats paper trading, not physical... thats $36.9 bln a day FYI on something that for the purposes of the trade doesn't exist outside of a note that says 'this note exchanges the value of the price of gold'.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.