SportPesa - possible new shirt sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the headline 'Everton in talks for new shirt sponsor' and was waiting for the page to load like....

Please don't be a betting firm

Oh.

And not even good one at that.

Companies who sell alcohol feed off much more misery than betting companies.
How do you quantify that? I can't agree, there's no comparison. Gambling addiction destroys lives and families.

Furthermore, in contrast to the huge employment potential of the alcohol business, an online betting company is likely to be a small group of people, a couple of servers, an office in a tax free state and a colossal ability to collect other people's money.

I've no problem with mates having a bet with each other - statistically this a good way to bet. As soon as you go face to face with professionals with post grad qualifications in mathematics and who make it their business to collect and crunch more data than any individual can hope to, then it's odds on certainty that the individual is going to lose in the long run.

Same.

But trying to take a moral high ground regarding the dangers of betting against the dangers of alcohol seems a bit silly to me.

Both are "bad".
I'm not in the slightest bit interested in seeking a moral high ground, I'm expressing an opinion based on experience and an insight into the mathematics and culture (and often shady subculture) of the business.

You brought about the comparison with alcohol!

Is that what I think it is?!?!?

Ah yes, @KUEFC09U2 doing his "hate our fans sometimes" routine

Haven't you got a stadium source to lie about mate rather than criticising Evertonians for not slobbering over a crap deal?

How do you quantify that? I can't agree, there's no comparison. Gambling addiction destroys lives and families.

Where as nobodys life has ever been ruined by alcohol?????

Thats the crux for me mate.

Lets just agree that gambling and alcohol both have their good points and very bad points, they are both considered vices and are both treated as illnesses upon addiction. I could argue that alcohol addiction is more widespread and leads to more violent crimes, as well as vastly more serious health issues that lead to death, but hey ho, suppose that should be a discussion for another thread.

If they are say coughing up £10m per year then so what ? It wouldn't bother me as long as it outstrips what are getting today.

right now the way we are playing we would better being sponsored by a company flogging impotency pills

Regardless of who it is, when it an announcement likely to be?

At the AGM?

It's all about the $$$ really, but it would be nice to have a recognisable name on the shirt.

Over to you, Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.