Match Thread Southampton v Everton Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was re watching the goals then and it's concerning how bad they were. The first goal is gomes just collapsing under pressure, no idea why he did that and he is proving to be a liability in this side. If he had reacted in some way to get rid of the ball rather than collapse then they wouldn't have got in.

The second goal was a failure of these players in two parts. The first was lewen and someone else on the half way line pressing the player. They both half arsed it and allowed them to run with the ball and play it forward. These same players were commiting last week and a week later don't feel they need to. The second failure was on the centre halves again. 3 of them in the box and all had their back to long as they were still reacting to the cross. They do this game after game, it's defending that a league one side would be embarrassed for.

We aren't going to stay up if individual players are going to go down this route. We have seen it for years this drop in attitude from home and away and to stop doing what made you succesful to begin with. We know it's not the manager because the manager had them running their arses off last week. It's the players just being lazy and thinking they can coast that has put us where we are. We need to get rid of the lot of them.

I was re watching the goals then and it's concerning how bad they were. The first goal is gomes just collapsing under pressure, no idea why he did that and he is proving to be a liability in this side. If he had reacted in some way to get rid of the ball rather than collapse then they wouldn't have got in.

The second goal was a failure of these players in two parts. The first was lewen and someone else on the half way line pressing the player. They both half arsed it and allowed them to run with the ball and play it forward. These same players were commiting last week and a week later don't feel they need to. The second failure was on the centre halves again. 3 of them in the box and all had their back to long as they were still reacting to the cross. They do this game after game, it's defending that a league one side would be embarrassed for.

We aren't going to stay up if individual players are going to go down this route. We have seen it for years this drop in attitude from home and away and to stop doing what made you succesful to begin with. We know it's not the manager because the manager had them running their arses off last week. It's the players just being lazy and thinking they can coast that has put us where we are. We need to get rid of the lot of them.
Disagree, this squad is not far off being very good but there are certain players and cultured in a certain mentality that need going.
This club need to find a much better replacement for Gomes to do justice to the other players, even Keane's good when the midfield is working.

Awful how we caved in after a promising start to the second half.
But I never expected a win at Southampton.
It's a pity we're facing City next but it should be some game if Frank can get a " Leeds" performance out of them.

We looked decent in the first 10-15 minutes, passing and keeping the ball well, but as soon as Saints woke up we crawled back under the rocks we’ve been hiding under for the last 18 games. There’s a serious mental issue with these players.
Ok, Gomes losing the ball led to the goal but there was a series of issues
prior to that which made us rush the passing from the back. Hopefully Doucs back soon and we can have 3 in midfield.

It "only helps the RS" if we take a point against City, according to you. We're going to need every point we can get, so, yeah, I'd be over the moon with a point against City and in Dreamland with three. They would also "help" our cause a great deal. As the song goes I don't care what the RS do.

It "only helps the RS" if we take a point against City, according to you. We're going to need every point we can get, so, yeah, I'd be over the moon with a point against City and in Dreamland with three. They would also "help" our cause a great deal. As the song goes I don't care what the RS do.
Mate, you've pretty much just said what I said ?‍♂️

I was listening to the match coverage on BBC Radio Merseyside which was actually the feed from BBC Radio Solent because of the weather (?), and the commentary team were obviously Southampton biased. However they were shocked by the no-penalty decision, and also by Allan being booked for the first foul he had committed. Now obviously a penalty can be missed even if it's given, but a player being booked has an on-going effect in that he is then restricted in his ability to tackle the opposition for the rest of the game, or in Allan's case it lead to him being substituted. I'm not saying that if we'd got a penalty, or if Allan hadn't been booked we wouldn't have still lost, but the attitude of the players might have been better if these decisions hadn't gone against us. And yes, professional footballers should be more resilient in their mindset. I'm disappointed of course, but a 2-0 loss away from home, and with the second goal being the mere icing on the cake for Southampton 10 minutes from time, isn't the end of the world.
On a brighter note Warrington have won the first 2 games of the new Super League season. come on the Wire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.