Sliding Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or had another few years listening to him warble about knives to gun fights (or guns to Himars fights given more money but not sovereign wealth now).
While I appreciate what Moyes did, I still think his rhetoric helped to cement a club wide attitude of being a plucky underdog, as well as lowering expectations to what they are now.
His time in charge eroded any aurora of being a big club that we had left imho.

The idea Moyes lowered expectations is hilarious. We’d finished above 12th once in the previous 10 years.

Are you suggesting we still should have taken moyes when we had the opportunity to get Ancelotti?! o_O
In retrospect, yes. Carlo stabbed us in the back to join Madrid (literally phoning their chairman) while Moyes would have built us back up and put some steel in the squad. He would have had the required resources to get us back near the top end of the table.

Its bananas he actually left because we couldn’t fulfil his expectations really.
It’s mad isn’t it how a portion of the fan base still blame a lot of the clubs woes on individual managers. We have had 2 ‘owners’ since 1999, with the former owner still on the board because he’s a bellend, but some people still want to blame the numerous DoFs, more than numerous managers. As a football team, we have basically been pants for the best part of 40 years. The guy had next to no money, and people still go on about the ‘knife to a gunfight’ mentality 😄

There is nothing more bizarre in my opinion, then Blues who have an axe to grind with Moyes, he was nothing but an absolute star for this club.
I don’t particularly have an axe to grind with him, I respect what he did and he certainly got some great players in, to some extent arguably under achieving imho, however his narrative was he was over achieving, and we were forever the bridesmaid and there was nothing more could be expected under the circumstances.
During his tenure the following luminaries of English football all won silverware Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Spurs, Swansea, Portsmouth, and Birmingham.
Maybe it’s just me and he really was the Moysiah 🙄.
The manner of his departure was unforgivable too but that’s another debate.

Imagine the reaction had they hired Moyes over Ancelotti. Especially after failing at 3 straight jobs and being so desperate he took a 6 month gig to keep West Ham up.

I don’t particularly have an axe to grind with him, I respect what he did and he certainly got some great players in, to some extent arguably under achieving imho, however his narrative was he was over achieving, and we were forever the bridesmaid and there was nothing more could be expected under the circumstances.
During his tenure the following luminaries of English football all won silverware Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Spurs, Swansea, Portsmouth, and Birmingham.
Maybe it’s just me and he really was the Moysiah 🙄.
The manner of his departure was unforgivable too but that’s another debate.

He saw his contract out, everyone knew he was leaving.
He’d already agreed to join Man Utd but so what? He’d been very clear it was his last season.

He saw his contract out, everyone knew he was leaving.
He’d already agreed to join Man Utd but so what? He’d been very clear it was his last season.
Spent years whining about being brasic then left for free, despite intimate knowledge of our financial position.
And tried to take arguably our two best players on the cheap and threw in “I also know that if I'd been Everton manager and Sir Alex had come asking for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini, I'd have found it very difficult to keep them because I always felt the right thing to do was what was right for the players," after the fuss he made about Lescott.
Personally just don’t think he did anything of note in the grand scheme of things to warrant the esteem he seems to be he held in.

I prefer to view Big Joes departure over Dublin as way more of sliding doors moment. He took a squad of players of equal mediocrity of anything we’ve had since (probobly worse than some squads since) and won the FA cup.
Wonder what could have been achieved had the transfer been made and he stayed.

Last edited:
Spent years whining about being brasic then left for free, despite intimate knowledge of our financial position.
And tried to take arguably our two best players on the cheap and threw in “I also know that if I'd been Everton manager and Sir Alex had come asking for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini, I'd have found it very difficult to keep them because I always felt the right thing to do was what was right for the players," after the fuss he made about Lescott.
Personally just don’t think he did anything of note in the grand scheme of things to warrant the esteem he seems to be he held in.

So you want him to sign a new contract so a club has to pay for him? Weird. And I doubt he decided the size of the Man Utd offer for those players.

We were utterly terrible for a decade before him and have been largely terrible for a decade since he left, but ok.

Kept stringing us along all season with his contract "it'll be decided at the end of the season". Said we're holding Baines & Fellini's career back after we rejected his paltry offers. Then admitted he had agreed to join Utd well in advance, when he could have done the honourable thing and let us know, so we could of at least started planning for the next manager. If he loved the club that much, he would have signed a new contract, enabling us to get a payout off the richest club in the world, especially as he knew we were skint. Jog on Moyes.

So you want him to sign a new contract so a club has to pay for him? Weird. And I doubt he decided the size of the Man Utd offer for those players.

We were utterly terrible for a decade before him and have been largely terrible for a decade since he left, but ok.
We won the FA cup in the decade before him.
While I don’t disagree with your comments on the whole, you do make it sound like Moyes time in charge were halcyon days between them.
Were they the ‘good times’ Bill likes to talk about?

Status
Not open for further replies.