who was better for the everton??

• osman

Votes: 193 92.3%
  • sigurdsson

Votes: 16 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that the best you can do ? This is a comparison between two players -not of my choice -and you come out with that world beater !
I’m just saying judging soley on goal return when one played as a striker who also took penalties is not the best way to do it. Hence why I used the comparison between keepers to illustrate how it’s not the best way to compare them.

I remember that side, I think we had him, Peinaar and Arteta in the middle, with Cahill and Fellaini up top and Landon Donavon. Heitinga and Distin at the back. A brilliant team really, maybe even Moyes's best.

I think probably suffers from the same thing Moyes does generally. People don't seem to realise the level of football played at times. He was in a team with Arteta and Peinaar, and while he was a bit different to them (a bit more rugged) he probably wasn't quite their level. However peak Arteta and Peinaar are better than anyone in our squad currently, with perhaps the exception of Richarlinson, where you can have something of a debate. Osman of 10 years ago would be our best midfielder currently. A comment on him, but also to a degree the players we have in the midfield.
Did you ever see a weaker player, though, in the modern game? I mean the game's moved on and midfield's not about big fellas sticking reducers into the opposition, but you still have to fight to retain possession, press with real intention of winning the ball.

Arteta was the same size as Osman yet was an absolute terrier with the ball - v hard to dispossess, superb technique and tenacity, one of the most fouled players at the time as it was really hard to take the ball off him. Cahill wasn't that much bigger and was a straight beast on the pitch - one of the most physically imposing players I can think of relative to their size.
I guess some players just don't have that physicality - Must be feeding them wrong in Skem.

Horrible to think about, but I'd say was slightly more consistent in a positive way. It's a bit like comparing arteta to Cahill though completely different players.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the Osman hate in here. Comments such as grass and kopite being spouted? What's that all about?

For me Osman was a great player for us. Very consistent and a big part of what was our best side we had in the last 30 years in the era around 2009.

Sigurdsson on the other hand just has been a part of another failing Everton side and unfortunately doesn't have the mobility or seemingly the attitude to be anything other than a mid table type player.

So osman is the clearly the winner between these two but less of the hate for a proper player who gave his all for Everton wouldn't be amiss here.
Agreed

I’m just saying judging soley on goal return when one played as a striker who also took penalties is not the best way to do it. Hence why I used the comparison between keepers to illustrate how it’s not the best way to compare them.
It is not my fault that the thread compares two players from different times playing two different ways ,I just thought your post was a bit unnecessary .

Status
Not open for further replies.