Should Phil Neville be anywhere near our first team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely Heitinga would be a better bet than Neville and Hibbo

Not really, he played there a few times when we first signed him and by his own admittance he aint a full back. He can play there if we are desperate but there would be no improvement from what we already have.

laughable one bad defeat and its phil nevilles fault!!! their was 10 more players on the pitch today aswell

I've disliked Neville for the last two seasons mate, i just wanted to see what other people thought, Phil wasn't the sole reason we lost today it's just a general question.

He's 34 years old. We are a team challenging for the top 6 at least.

How many other teams in our position have 34 year old right back at defensive mid?

He's supoosed to be squad backup and nothing mor eyet he's started all 4 games this season.

Sure, he is a capable player but thats about it, the whole point of a team is you have the best possible players in every position. You don't have the best players in some positions and not give a toss about the others.

What positives he had through his leadership and orginisation are long gone.

Not sure I agree with that last line. Otherwise, this post is a shining example of a sane, reasoned answer to the OP's question. Whilst Neville can still do a job at RB, he can't play CM with any effectiveness or impact anymore. The substitution today after Gibson went off was negative and made us weaker rather than stronger.... but I'd probably keep him as a strong leadership figure coming off the bench.

Not sure I agree with that last line. Otherwise, this post is a shining example of a sane, reasoned answer to the OP's question. Whilst Neville can still do a job at RB, he can't play CM with any effectiveness or impact anymore. The substitution today after Gibson went off was negative and made us weaker rather than stronger.... but I'd probably keep him as a strong leadership figure coming off the bench.

or shouting from the bench would be better

We have a team full of experience and internationals, do they really need an aging Neville ambling around in midfield to organise them?

Of course you have some players who are natural leaders and some who just keep their head down and get on with the game but it doesn't seem to me that we need Neville in the team just to organise everyone else.

Especially when he fails so badly at the rest of the game that asks for more than composed 5 yard passes.

And if we do lack a leader without him why? Surely the fact he is 34 means that a replacement "leader" should of been sorted out long ago.

I believe this was the year to take the captaincy off Neville and try to move on. I would have given the armband to Heitinga and let Neville try to get into the team on his footballing merit.
Instead our player of the year sits and warms the bench and Neville gets a game regardless of performance….

Will we ever see Seamus get a game at right back in the premiership…I doubt it unfortunately

We have a team full of experience and internationals, do they really need an aging Neville ambling around in midfield to organise them?

Of course you have some players who are natural leaders and some who just keep their head down and get on with the game but it doesn't seem to me that we need Neville in the team just to organise everyone else.

Especially when he fails so badly at the rest of the game that asks for more than composed 5 yard passes.

And if we do lack a leader without him why? Surely the fact he is 34 means that a replacement "leader" should of been sorted out long ago.

Yup. Perhaps it's time for Jags to take the captaincy?

I really fail to see what he brings to any starting 11. He's a really great captain and I even feel a little guilty saying this but he shouldn't be in the starting 11 or even the bench. Hibbo is a better defender and attacker. Coleman is the best attacker of the 3 of them. Jags has great leadership qualities as well (although I would argue Johnny should be vice captain). What does he bring to the team that no one else can provide?

SEAMUS COLEMAN FFFFFFFFSSSSSSS

I think we would still have the same problem with him in the side only reversed.

I think if we were going to use Coleman at right back then we would need a right midfielder who would support him and cover for him if need be ala Pienaar and we dont have one of them as far as I am aware.

You sir are a complete and utter footballing retard if you believe that a captain does not add value in any way other than by playing.

Wiat. I take that back.

Let me rather say that you have no clue of how sport works if you beleive that a captain serves no function besides playing.

You have already used your supreme Gold Status to slam me with Negative rep, well done. Very proud of yourself?

The captain is an extension of the manager, ensuring that the correct strategies and tactics are employed during the game. The captain sets the tone for the team through being positive and instilling belief in his team mates.
The captain 'points' out mistakes to team mates and helps them improve.
A good Captain never hangs his head, he spurs his side on, pushing them to excel.
He's the guy that pushes the culture of the club harder than anybody else.
He settles disputes and protects club atmosphere by diffusing situations intra and inter teams.
He brings the team together in times of uncertainty and tries to get them out the other side using his leadership skills.
Yes he does massage legs sometimes, but so what? that shows that he is caring, another leadership quality. He cares about the team and the individuals and their combined success.
He's courageous and works hard to prepare not only himself but also the team
He's consistent to the extent that yes he may not be a world beater but he always gives his best, setting the example and creating a cohesive unit that strives to give their best.
Role model
Inspiration through communication.

Does NONE of that add value?

I really fail to see what he brings to any starting 11. He's a really great captain and I even feel a little guilty saying this but he shouldn't be in the starting 11 or even the bench. Hibbo is a better defender and attacker. Coleman is the best attacker of the 3 of them. Jags has great leadership qualities as well (although I would argue Johnny should be vice captain). What does he bring to the team that no one else can provide?

cant have a vice captain who isnt even getting a game!!

I think we would still have the same problem with him in the side only reversed.

I think if we were going to use Coleman at right back then we would need a right midfielder who would support him and cover for him if need be ala Pienaar and we dont have one of them as far as I am aware.

Neville?

Status
Not open for further replies.