Match Thread Sheffield United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree mate, I've always rated Bernard, he just gives us that something different. I've always said it has to be difficult for a player who is just getting minutes here and there to show how good they actually are. Would be great if he started against Man City.
He has every chance of getting a start against City as that will be the game where Carlo will rotate the first 11.

He’s like all players, he needs a run of matches to find his rhythm.

Ok. I thought that was what Tom Davies was doing. Or are you saying that when Tom Davies goes off he switched to DM, because if thats the case he never made a run like that when he was in the number 10 role, but he did make it when he was meant to be the DM!!!??

Carlo should tell him hes DM every week! lol
He said he got the word to move to DM. Think it must have been when Gomes came on, as Gomes was further forward than him (run for the ‘penalty’ an example)
He admitted he didn’t know why he was in the box! Don’t know if that’s to be applauded or pilloried lol

I agree mate, I've always rated Bernard, he just gives us that something different. I've always said it has to be difficult for a player who is just getting minutes here and there to show how good they actually are. Would be great if he started against Man City.

Agreed on Bernard. I understand people like battlers, but we needed fresh legs with a bit of skill to trouble Shef Utd last night. He was a very useful commodity in that regard.

It was a very good substitution, the Sheffield Utd defence had a complete 180 in terms of what Gordon was posing to them. It'll work in the opposite way against other sides so i'd see them interchangeable going forward as an option if Rico is out.

He said he got the word to move to DM. Think it must have been when Gomes came on, as Gomes was further forward than him (run for the ‘penalty’ an example)
He admitted he didn’t know why he was in the box! Don’t know if that’s to be applauded or pilloried lol
what worries me more is that the only time in my mind he made a run in the box... didn't do it once to effect when he was playing in the ATTACKING role for 70 odd minutes lol

I know he scored the winner... but I really do think for our number 10 Sigurdsson is far too reserved when it comes to making runs in the box. the only time in my mind that he did this (other than when the ball was out wide for crosses, and lets face it he's not exactly DCL in the air is he) was when he scored. I guess it doesn't matter much because ultimately he scored. I just wish he's do more of the same.

He deserves to start next game unless hes gassed, but I really hope he improves his incisive passing and his set pieces.

....I noticed it lots in his first season or two. Amazing how often he was around the penalty spot when balls came into the box. You have to have real belief to keep making those runs because the ball rarely drops to you but i found it very noticeable, especially when sitting in the stands and not just seeing what the camera shows.

That persistence has been irregular for 18months, interesting he found that position last night after Ancelotti asked him to play a little deeper (I don’t think he meant as a DM, but just not as close to DCL).

....I noticed it lots in his first season or two. Amazing how often he was around the penalty spot when balls came into the box. You have to have real belief to keep making those runs because the ball rarely drops to you but i found it very noticeable, especially when sitting in the stands and not just seeing what the camera shows.

That persistence has been irregular for 18months, interesting he found that position last night after Ancelotti asked him to play a little deeper (I don’t think he meant as a DM, but just not as close to DCL).

Lampard was exceptional at it. Cahill was very good as well.

As for the change, it was when Davies came off and Gomes came on. He just went deeper, but in fairness to him and Ancelotti none of the "3" just sat there, as we were pushing for a winner. That was probably a big change, even on 6 months ago. Not just with more attacking players on the pitch, but the way they played was they wanted the winner.

Gylfy was MoM for me. With the exception of some set piece deliveries (albeit in horrible conditions) he covered every blade of grass and came up with the winning goal.

Carlo has found a system and the team has become battle hardened, I’d presume we are now a nightmare to play against. Add to this that players are growing under Carlo while others are finding confidence again and it’s an encouraging combo that I really hope we can build on.

It was a very good substitution, the Sheffield Utd defence had a complete 180 in terms of what Gordon was posing to them. It'll work in the opposite way against other sides so i'd see them interchangeable going forward as an option if Rico is out.
I honestly think that Richies attitude and poor performances this season could mean that he is no longer a shoe in to start if he's available.

Pickford - 7 caught things
Holgate - 7 solid (thought he was more comfy at CB)
Mina - 8 very good looked a leader
Keane - 7 solid
Godfrey - solid (think we do look unbalanced not having a left footer in here)
Iwobi - 5 worst performance in a while
Doucoure - 7 great energy to get around the pitch
Davies - 8 positive and aggressive (even if he did seem to pass to them lots early on) more of the same please Tom
Gordon - 5 couldn't get in the game looked way short of confidence
Siggurdson - 6 great goal and good to see him put in some effort in the last few games but still does not effect the game anywhere near enough for his position.
Dcl - 7 not much on for him tonight but what he did very well.
Subs:
Bernard - 7 great energy and interlinking play. Not had many bad games this season and would like to see him used more.
Coleman - 6 much more comfy than holgate at getting forward
Gomes - 6 did a decent job when he came on, should have had a pen/free kick

Status
Not open for further replies.