Match Thread Sheffield United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with James yes he will help the club commercially for years to come because of how big a name he is and yes he is a fantastic player but how many games will he be missing a season? He was only meant to be out a game or two and it's been 5 now so I think a loan for someone who can unlock a defence like James would be a need too.

I've been through this but James is only missing these games because of when his injury has come. Had it happened even a week earlier, he'd probably have been back.

You can't really replicate what James can do, especially with a loan player, much like you can't fully replicate what Richarlison can do.

We really need someone with pace, power and versatility. They don't come cheap or grow on trees but they are easier to find than the James's of this world.

Bailey for me would be the ideal one but the time to do that deal was probably the summer. We've definitely scouted him.

These are fine players but you still didn't answer my question. Still can't see player good enough who want to be on the bench. It seems to me like you play too much of Football manager, but this is real life.

I don't play football manager. I work in sports media - I watch a lot of football for work. I know a good team/squad when I see one, and what they have.

It's also not 'football manager' to point out going into a strange, congested season with a strike force of Richarlison, DCL and Tosun - when the aim seems to be to play 4-3-3 or a variant of it - was not a sensible move.

We've also scouted Bailey - I'm not just plucking names out of the air. It's a very specific type of player we need.

You seem to have fallen into the classic trap of thinking that we'll be able to field a 'first XI'. We hardly can, ever. We managed it for four games this season, and in the derby Coleman had to go off after half-an-hour.

You need quality in depth. Any forward that came in would add competition and depth and another quality option. It'd mean we're not relying on putting Tosun on the bench, for one. The reason we need a player who can play across the line is that it helps us change shape and system with one player, rather than having to change two or three, and also helps lessen the strain on Richarlison, DCL and James.

I think that's mixing things up too much.

Godfrey hardly plays as a proper left-back, he plays very tucked in anyway.

God knows, this schedule is just ludicrous.

What I will say is we're better stocked at the back than we are up front. I know Richarlison's concussion is dead unfortunate, but it again goes back to p*** poor recruitment at the end of the last window. No planning at all - we knew we'd have this amount of matches to play.

'but it again goes back to p*** poor recruitment at the end of the last window.'

Are you serious?! What a truly ridiculous comment.

I don't play football manager. I work in sports media - I watch a lot of football for work. I know a good team/squad when I see one, and what they have.

It's also not 'football manager' to point out going into a strange, congested season with a strike force of Richarlison, DCL and Tosun - when the aim seems to be to play 4-3-3 or a variant of it - was not a sensible move.

We've also scouted Bailey - I'm not just plucking names out of the air. It's a very specific type of player we need.

You seem to have fallen into the classic trap of thinking that we'll be able to field a 'first XI'. We hardly can, ever. We managed it for four games this season, and in the derby Coleman had to go off after half-an-hour.

You need quality in depth. Any forward that came in would add competition and depth and another quality option. It'd mean we're not relying on putting Tosun on the bench, for one. The reason we need a player who can play across the line is that it helps us change shape and system with one player, rather than having to change two or three, and also helps lessen the strain on Richarlison, DCL and James.

All very good mate. But now add a dose if reality.

Who we can buy, what our financial position allows, FFP, what we have to sell first to balance the books, what we actually did in the last window how, how agents work, our lack of European football... etc.

So take your head out of the Euro 2020 statto playbook, lean back a bit and see the bigger picture.

No successful team is built on 11 players.

Leon Bailey would be the ideal, but i doubt he's an option for January.

Sarr from Watford could add a lot, but price could be prohibitive. I'd still love Zaha, though probably not realistic.

Dodi Lukebakio, at Hertha Berlin, is in the mould of what we need too.

It's not about like for like, but we need the options up there. It gives us the freedom to play a few different systems, not run certain players into the ground.

We currently have our four best players injured. With the games coming thick and fast, I doubt there'll be many more games that we have our 'first choice' XI on the pitch together for the rest of the season.
Not disagreeing with you, but think something is missing from this conversation.

Alan, Digne, Richarlison and James are out and yet the team is still picking up valuable points; and without the depth we desperately need. This says a lot.

Was harping on a lot during Silva's tenure about how he didn't play to the strength of his players and squad; and that bloody 4231, the rock he perished on.
Carlo on the other hand plays four CBs because it plays to the squads strengths at this moment in time. And bc he's got a longer term plan. He doesn't care what should be right, what's meant to be right. He sees what's in front of him, what he's got. And he knows the game inside out. He knows what is possible. And what is possible equates to potential.

A manager like this instills something into the players. Look at the difference between the Davies that played against Sheffield and under Marco. He did everything we'd expect of Alan. The confidence and ability he showed with ball at feet to change direction and beat his opposite in the the most vulnerable of positions, giving his team greater opportunity to attack...well that's what good managers do, they foster those conditions. Its the little things. I'm not sure that would have played out the same way with Seamus starting. Davies was lost under Marco with Seamus and Digne doing their thing. He had 4 CBs behind him that don't leave much space.

This is not about Davies (he's getting the chance to show he can be a valuable squad member). This is about what's happening to this team. They are being given the opportunity to grow. Adversity can be a good thing. The future depth of the squad is showing itself.

Imo we need a RW, RB, another 9 and a replacement for Gomes and Sig to realistically compete for the title and in Europe. I reckon Carlo and Marcel will bring more quality to those positions. But what's happening right now may be more important.

Side note, its not so much the positions as players, the ones that can travel with the ball at feet and read the game, when attacking. We have too many touch and passers and not enough ballers (both need each other). You get a good balance and suddenly you start to see more calm and presence on the ball.

Hardly the same and out of context (given your own post). I would agree he hasn’t affected the game in the right areas for a very long time how ever he was good the other night and has been the match winner in 2 of our 4 wins.
It was an extreme comparison on purpose cos your point was "he scored"
I agree he's currently contributing more, more importantly he is now putting in effort into his performances which was distinctly missing for about 18 months prior. I'd still like to see some rotation in that position.

I think that's mixing things up too much.

Godfrey hardly plays as a proper left-back, he plays very tucked in anyway.

God knows, this schedule is just ludicrous.

What I will say is we're better stocked at the back than we are up front. I know Richarlison's concussion is dead unfortunate, but it again goes back to p*** poor recruitment at the end of the last window. No planning at all - we knew we'd have this amount of matches to play.
methinks it'll be easier to have better recruitment with us sitting in the Top 4 at new years and Don Carlo looking like he ain't going anywhere

It's a two way street - we need to recruit better, but we also need to be an attractive club to come to.

We haven't had the latter for a while

A little over 24 hours left in which to vote for your Man of the Match against SheffU... poll closes at 9.56pm UK time Tuesday ;)

Sheffield United can confirm the club recorded a number of positive coronavirus tests after the latest round of testing.
Due to medical confidentiality the club will not be revealing the names of those who have been affected.
The individuals who have tested positive have now entered into a period of self-isolation in accordance with Premier League and Government guidelines.
Earlier today, the Premier League confirmed 18 positive coronavirus tests - the highest figure of the season so far.
Everyone at Sheffield United would like to extend our best wishes to our colleagues and wish them a speedy recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.