Shankly - What Happened with Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's like death row inmates finding god. They realise they are about to die, so they try to repent their sins so they wont go to hell. I imagine a lot of Kopites do the same thing in later life.

He was treated like a swine by Liverpool in his later years and feeling abandoned became a bit of a blue on the side. Then when he died they made him a patron saint because they knew he wouldn't argue the toss, and knew their fans wanted to paint it like they liked him all along.

Something like that I've gathered?

I can remember reading about his life story a few years ago, don't know where though. Could've been on kipper or maybe even The School of Science book. He died an Evertonian according to that story.

He was treated like a swine by Liverpool in his later years and feeling abandoned became a bit of a blue on the side. Then when he died they made him a patron saint because they knew he wouldn't argue the toss, and knew their fans wanted to paint it like they liked him all along.

Something like that I've gathered?

Strangely Dixie Dean got the same treatment.

basicly he resigend from the rs they appointed paisley,then shankly decided he made the wrong chioce and would go to melwood and watch them train but the players still called him boss,paisley took the hump told him to f..k off so he would go to bellfield where he was welcomed.

i read a biography a few years back whilst working/argueing with a load of rs just to make a decsent argument of it yould be suprised how little they actualy know about themselveds:D

Yeah, Dean got the treatment while he was still playing for the blues. Club Secretary called him a drunk in public.

As to Shanks: he tried to keeep on going to Mellwood once he'd retired. The players didn't know who was the boss, so LFC asked him nt to continue going there.

He lived over the fence from Bellefield ... went and had a look at training. Doubt he died a Blue. In some ways, maybe he was too big a character for any one club.

Have to say I couldn't stand the gobby get but you can't deny he had some great one liners.

I can remember reading about his life story a few years ago, don't know where though. Could've been on kipper or maybe even The School of Science book. He died an Evertonian according to that story.

A year after retiring, Shankly sat down and wrote his autobiography with Roberts. Perhaps the most candid passages dealt with Shankly's retirement. On his treatment by Liverpool, he wrote it was scandalous and outrageous that he should have to issue complaints about a club he had helped to build. But while Shankly's fury burned from the page, there was no sadness about him, says Roberts. Indeed Shankly remained an ebullient man. "But he did feel that he had been let down by Liverpool; by the directors, mainly."
Bill Shankly: Life, death and football
Shankly also revealed his shock that he had found solace at once-hated rivals Everton. "I have been received more warmly by Everton than I have been by Liverpool," he wrote. Indeed, on being exiled from Melwood, he began turning up at Everton's training ground, Bellefield, where he trained and sometimes helped Everton's club captain, Mick Lyons, coach the junior teams.

They denied him physio at Melwood. Classy.

Outside the Shankly Gates
I heard a Kopite calling
Shankly they have taken you away

..yeah, sing the song. (n)

I had heard about his trips to Bellfield and also regularly went to watch games. He was plain and simple a footballer to the end. he may have been the RS manager but I still had a lot of respect for him.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.