Shankly - What Happened with Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah , I heard a story at the Alex Young thing last year about this . Apparently one of the Liverpool Old Guard lists in in his autobiography - poss' Callaghan - , and tells of an incident at Wembley 78 - Brugges - , where he tried to go into the dressing room , pre-game , only to be proper blanked , by all hands . Players , Staff . Upset arl Dwight D. Eisenhower , - with , it must be said , some justification - . Never set foot in there again .
Funny how The Spirit of Shankley - once again for that club - adopt a Stalinesque attitude to history ; to alter it to one's own preferred interpretation .

i stood next to paisley at the stone at watford gap services, on he way down to the charity shield i think, i found it strange that he was going down on the day on a chara and not getting the vip treatment as he'd only retired a couple of years before. thats retired as the most successful manager of an english club, a bit like saf packing in and then being carted round on a supporters club bus and then getting an obstructed view.

i stood next to paisley at the stone at watford gap services, on he way down to the charity shield i think, i found it strange that he was going down on the day on a chara and not getting the vip treatment as he'd only retired a couple of years before. thats retired as the most successful manager of an english club, a bit like saf packing in and then being carted round on a supporters club bus and then getting an obstructed view.

THIS .

Don't want to come across all cynical, but wether your a successful football manger or the firms yard man.... 99% of the time once you leave a place of employment - in the eyes of your employers you cease to exist as you are no longer making money for them, won't bore you with tales of this, but in my 20 year working life I have witnessed it many times (for different companies) reminicent of the film 'About Schmitt' - (very tragic)
In the end you just have to except it as a fact of life.

Bottom line then -

Shankly circa 1960's - “If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.”

Shankly circa late 70s'/1980's - “If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd get me best trackie on and get the oranges ready for half-time'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.