Shankly - What Happened with Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
next autumn will be the 30th anniversary of shanklys death, so soon after another one of Merseysides greats passed on.

RS or not, you have to say he was quite a character, I've read all kind of tales about him, his wife, his teams talks, one to one with players, trips with the team all over Europe and he was- whether anyone wants to agree or disagree, a top manager.

When he arrived at Anfield, they were pretty small fry, a sorry looking club even, and he transformed them into of Europes finest with players such as Yeats, St john, Heighway, Hunt and Clemence.

stepped down as manager after the cup final win over newcastle if memory serves.

I heard that when he retired Liverpool sacked him off, so he was a bit pissed off with the club and lived opposite Everton's training ground. Basically because he was bored and could never fully retire from football he could always be seen helping out at the training sessions.

My key memory was a Goodison derby game in the sixties. I'm a kid standing in the GSE. The players come out long before kick off in their suits to soak up the atmosphere.

Shankly strides out to centre circle and ostentatiously takes out the biggest, brightest red handkerchief you've ever seen. Waves it about a bit and blows his nose. Brought the house down...

I respected him. Sure he was an arch showman but he was a great manager.

I read about somewhere when Ian St John was facing a ban for unsportsmanship behavior or having a incident with an opposition player and he was up before a board of inquiry to answer questions and Shankly didn't like it.

So he got St John into the treatment room at Anfield and had a trainer/physio rub boot polish into his genitals for when he went up before the panel. shankly said 'they can't ban you now son', 'it was sheer retaliation on your part'.

It appears it actually worked, and no ban came into force. True story.

Yank here, reading two pages of Brit speak, which makes no sense at all. There is an inside soccer speak here that is unintelligable to me. I could not understand one post. Care to fill us in or do I need a super decoder ring for this thread?

Yank here, reading two pages of Brit speak, which makes no sense at all. There is an inside soccer speak here that is unintelligable to me. I could not understand one post. Care to fill us in or do I need a super decoder ring for this thread?

Liverpool were languishing in the 2nd tier of English football & going nowhere, they appointed Shankly who completely transformed the club into a team that was challenging at the very top for years. He was a huge character who always spoke his mind & only accepted his way of doing things but he had football in his blood.

When he left Liverpool he suddenly had no association with the game he loved so dearly. To keep his sanity & fitness levels (he was a real fitness fanatic) he still went to Melwood to train & keep his ties in football. Members of staff at Liverpool noticed that the players were still treating him as the manager instead of Bob Paisley (his successor who'd formerly been his assistant).

It was decided that it was in the best interests of Liverpool if Shankly had a clean break & stopped visiting the club. This angered Shankly a great amount & put a further wedge between him & the members of the board, who he'd always had a strained relationship with due to his outspoken nature. Seems as football was his life he started spending time at Bellefield & developed an excellent relationship with Everton as a result.

He was a true football man, when he wasn't involved with professional football he'd get involved at any opportunity, even if it was kids having a kickabout in the street. As much as I hate the success he brought to the [Poor language removed] you can't help but feel a huge amount of respect for someone like him

Can anyone tell me or point me to a story about what happened here?

Me arl fella used to make me stand up before the game when he was announced - he was always announced - .
Apparently , he was lashed by the Paisley Regime - can only have one gaffer - broke his heart . Never set foot there again .
FACT .
( Unless some medical under-grad' , knows better ??? )
L.C.A.B. still laughing at prev' incident.

Me arl fella used to make me stand up before the game when he was announced - he was always announced - .
Apparently , he was lashed by the Paisley Regime - can only have one gaffer - broke his heart . Never set foot there again .
FACT .

Oh dear...you're not going to let this drop are you LCAB?

Everybody say after me: "We're not worthy......we're not worthy...."

Only joshin' yer, Bally....

FACT .

Hold on are you closet reds?lol

Hold on are you closet reds?lol

Nah , I heard a story at the Alex Young thing last year about this . Apparently one of the Liverpool Old Guard lists in in his autobiography - poss' Callaghan - , and tells of an incident at Wembley 78 - Brugges - , where he tried to go into the dressing room , pre-game , only to be proper blanked , by all hands . Players , Staff . Upset arl Dwight D. Eisenhower , - with , it must be said , some justification - . Never set foot in there again .
Funny how The Spirit of Shankley - once again for that club - adopt a Stalinesque attitude to history ; to alter it to one's own preferred interpretation .

Status
Not open for further replies.