2023/24 Sean Dyche

It has been referred to, on more than one occasion, as a League One squad. I realise that that was said as a hyperbolic device but that's what we're dealing with. Our first 11 is better than many other teams, Notts Forest, Brentford and Bournemouth spring to mind and obviously the relegated sides. Our squad depth is atrocious but most of our starting 11 are decent, not brilliant, but decent.
We have a couple of players of exceptional quality. Pickford and Branthwaite would get a start in most teams, incl those near the top. A fit DCL isn't far behind, maybe Tarkowski also? The rest of the team/squad, whilst they can be classed as decent squad players, are probably not automatic starters at most PL clubs, hence the comments about how weak we are as a squad. We are, very, very weak, imo.

Maybe, id argue we have a lot of quality at the back JT, Branthwaite, Pickford are all names to be mentioned when you are talking about the best in their positions in the league in my opinion and Dyche has them humming.

No one else from 5 onwards gets into the conversation - those that would have been in with a shout have been sold.

We've a poor quality forward unit in my opinion.

Sure we may be cutting our cloth accordingly, thats logical, but we have high quality players at the back, but not in advanced positions.

No doubt - but when we go expansive we see what happened at Chelsea.

Mykolenko has come on loads I think because Dyche simplified his game. Our full backs get a nose bleed if they go over the half way line now.

Every year is going to get harder for Dyche to stay up. If we get another deduction next season I'm really unsure if we are going to be able to get out of it. We will find it tough to get 40 points regardless of deductions with the players we are probably going to lose.

It has been referred to, on more than one occasion, as a League One squad. I realise that that was said as a hyperbolic device but that's what we're dealing with. Our first 11 is better than many other teams, Notts Forest, Brentford and Bournemouth spring to mind and obviously the relegated sides. Our squad depth is atrocious but most of our starting 11 are decent, not brilliant, but decent.
And they’ve been fit for the majority of the season

Every year is going to get harder for Dyche to stay up. If we get another deduction next season I'm really unsure if we are going to be able to get out of it. We will find it tough to get 40 points regardless of deductions with the players we are probably going to lose.
Am I right in thinking we might not be the only ones getting points deducted? Or is it the one rule for Everton, plus one other, again?

No doubt - but when we go expansive we see what happened at Chelsea.

Mykolenko has come on loads I think because Dyche simplified his game. Our full backs get a nose bleed if they go over the half way line now.

We dont have the quality from 5 on, to go toe to toe mate, i think we are both agreeing on the same thing.

If i had one criticism of Dyche i think hes sensitive to the proving " he can manage a big club" thing and has occasion to try and open up beyond our means and prob his better judgement and we take a tonking or are sucker punched, it happened a few times this season. We may be a big club, but we dont have the budget of big club at the moment.

Maybe im doing Myko and Dyche a disservice, but i think Branthwaite has really brought Myko on, he really gives him confidence on that left side.

I find when i try to judge what Dyche is doing tactically, i always have to look at it through a different lense - when i watched Burnley over the years they had the likes of Tripper, Taylor, Pieters, Lowton, etc who could get on up the pitch - i ask myself is what he doing here cutting his cloth because of cost restrictions and making the best of what he has (34+ full backs) or is it tactical - i always come back to cost restrictions.

I think its a hard eye that judges us at the moment on an equal footing to others, with the cost restrictions and sales at play and the limits it places on us.

A lot of what we do isn't down to choice, its necessity.

How he found a way this season with the points deductions and last without a centre forward is beyond me.

Last edited:
They are 12th best team in England. It’s a load of tosh we don’t have any quality.

We dont have the quality from 5 on, to go toe to toe mate, i think we are both agreeing on the same thing.

If i had one criticism of Dyche i think hes sensitive to the proving " he can manage a big club" thing and has occasion to try and open up beyond our means and prob his better judgement and we take a tonking or are sucker punched, it happened a few times this season. We may be a big club, but we dont have the budget of big club at the moment.

Maybe im doing Myko and Dyche a disservice, but i think Branthwaite has really brought Myko on, he really gives him confidence on that left side.

I find when i try to judge what Dyche is doing tactically, i always have to look at it through a different lense - when i watched Burnley over the years they had the likes of Tripper, Taylor, Pieters, Lowton, etc who could get on up the pitch - i ask myself is what he doing here cutting his cloth because of cost restrictions and making the best of what he has (34+ full backs) or is it tactical - i always come back to cost restrictions.

I think its a hard eye that judges us at the moment on an equal footing to others, with the cost restrictions and sales at play and the limits it places on us.

How he found a way this season with the points deductions and last without a centre forward is beyond me.
I’ve said it many times, defensively, Myko was fine last year. But he has said himself that he was carrying a knock all season which he got sorted in the summer so he isn’t playing feeling uncomfortable/in pain.

Yes Dyche will have helped, so will Branthwaite, but playing injury free will have been the biggest change.

The results over 3 seasons are what they are.

It's a poor, threadbare squad.

It's a squad that desperately needs some depth, pace, creativity/attacking ability otherwise it's fighting relegation next season.

There's a reason we're Bet365's 2nd favourite to go down right now.
Well the last 3 seasons are due to horrific managers, plain and simple.

But I'm quite concerned what this squad looks like a year older and totally devoid of its talent.

We are - but what I'm saying is, the plaudits towards the defence, which although deserved - is driven a fair bit by a playing a defensive style out of necessity.

So if we're talking up our defence as a strength to avoid relegation, I think we need to be mindful that it was aided by how we setup as a team and it has 2 full backs who can't offer anything going forward, and it's one centre half injury from collapse.

Last season had the most goals in the prem era, I'm sure it was smashed as well with game weeks to spare.

Must be all the added time in games playing another 5-15 mins longer each match.

Crazy that as we actually only conceded 6 less than last year. So everyone else has weakened defensively.

14 teams conceded less than 60 last season. Only 6 managed it this season.