2023/24 Sean Dyche

I was at almost every joe royle game. You dont also remember the dogs of war? Royle's teams were based on hard work and he did have a far better squad. Though i did at times have an issue with him regarding limpar. I dont think royle knew or trusted he had two exceptional wingers because he benched limpar to many times for me. Bizare given kanchleskis got all the plaudits for anfield. But it was limpar pulling the strings.
Both great players, but Kanchelskis was world class. All great teams work hard, the Utd team of that era did, this city team do.
But my point was his first game he had Parkinson, ebbrell and Horne in midfield. In the cup semi and final he has hinchcliffe on the wing, yes he had money, but he quickly moved on from Horne and Ebbrell, with , grant and speed and Kanchelskis on the wing. We didn’t stay this so called dogs of war side

The media called us dogs of war, but we played a very good spurs side of the park in that semi

Both great players, but Kanchelskis was world class. All great teams work hard, the Utd team of that era did, this city team do.
But my point was his first game he had Parkinson, ebbrell and Horne in midfield. In the cup semi and final he has hinchcliffe on the wing, yes he had money, but he quickly moved on from Horne and Ebbrell, with , grant and speed and Kanchelskis on the wing. We didn’t stay this so called dogs of war side

The media called us dogs of war, but we played a very good spurs side of the park in that semi

I was there and easly one of the best days out in the last 30 years. Limpar again was the player pulling spurs apart.
I wouldnt argue with the rest of that but royle's teams at Everton and oldham were direct and he knew how to use the likes of paul rideout and duncan ferguson. He knew how to mix it up. We played newcastle and norwich in that cup run at goodison and we battered them physically.

I was there and easly one of the best days out in the last 30 years. Limpar again was the player pulling spurs apart.
I wouldnt argue with the rest of that but royle's teams at Everton and oldham were direct and he knew how to use the likes of paul rideout and duncan ferguson. He knew how to mix it up. We played newcastle and norwich in that cup run at goodison and we battered them physically.
Recall Duncan Ferguson decimating Darren Peacock against Newcastle.

Surely some of it is down to how you use the players though. It’s a circular argument that both sides can make easily. We play well and one side will say ‘look Mykolenko, Garner, Gana etc. are all good players’. Branthwaite looks great, Tarkowski is solid Docuoure suddenly looks decent and people think Dyche is just getting an average tune out of them.

I’ve seen these players under Lampard though look like the worst in the league. If we had a manager playing a high line and attacking fullbacks then Tarkowski and Branthwaite would be getting turned and exposed every game and Mykolenko would be the target of the boo boys again. If Docuoure is playing deep midfield he’d be terrible. So the pro Dyche supporters will say he’s set them up in the system that suits them and got the best out of them.

There’s no winner. Dyche could get this lot into the top half and all his critics would say is it’s proof that he had a top half squad all along.

I tend to look at what other teams would swap their players for ours. Pickford Branthwaite and Tarkowski? Yes absolutely, it’s the best in the bottom half by far. McNeil, Harrison DCL? No one outside the bottom 3 is swapping for those three. Onana and Garner would have some takers, Gana and Docuoure not for me due to age for the former and technique for the latter.
It's a combination of manager and players, that's my exact point. Nobody can argue that Sean Dyche hasn't got more out of these players than Lampard, he definitely has. The way he's done it isn't to everyone's taste, it's certainly not to mine, but it's been effective. But it's not "despite" the players, which is a narrative that has deep roots on this forum. You, yourself, are running that game in this post, that you're trying to use to present yourself as a moderate on the subject, by stating that nobody other than Sheffield United, Burnley or Luton would take DCL. That's complete and utter nonsense, he may well leave this summer and if he does it won't be to a club of that order. We're a much better side when he plays and in a team that creates more in the final third he will score more goals. He's not a prolific player, and never will be, but he's a forward who stretches a back line, creates space and opportunities for other players and is dominant in the air. It's not his fault that the next nearest player to him is 30 yards away and is Dyche-favourite Doucoure. Lots of clubs would want that as an option. But that doesn't fit the "poor Sean" narrative, so he's just "rubbish" only good enough for the bottom three. It's poppycock.

The results over 3 seasons are what they are.

It's a poor, threadbare squad.

It's a squad that desperately needs some depth, pace, creativity/attacking ability otherwise it's fighting relegation next season.

There's a reason we're Bet365's 2nd favourite to go down right now.
Take that with a pinch of salt. Man City are 25/1 while Arsenal are 2000/1.

It’s fully based on points deductions (ie them expecting city to be deducted points etc and likely the same for us even though theres no breach at this point). Our squad just finished 12th.

The results over 3 seasons are what they are.

It's a poor, threadbare squad.

It's a squad that desperately needs some depth, pace, creativity/attacking ability otherwise it's fighting relegation next season.

There's a reason we're Bet365's 2nd favourite to go down right now.

Wow. Really. They giving prices already? I take it leicester are favourites then if its because of points deductions.

Thats half the point.

They have to assume the very worst, its their money they are playing with here.

So they will assume that Leicester and Everton both get hit for 30 points each.

I know. I meant its depressing seeing it before we're even out of the month of May.