2023/24 Sean Dyche

Well the last 3 seasons are due to horrific managers, plain and simple.

But I'm quite concerned what this squad looks like a year older and totally devoid of its talent.
For some that’s true, but for others a year older is a year better - Chemiti certainly, Beto a bit more used to the PL , Dobbin continuing to progress and maybe the likes of youngsters Stanley Mills and Jenson Metcalfe stepping up to be squad players. I’m going through an optimism spurt.

For some that’s true, but for others a year older is a year better - Chemiti certainly, Beto a bit more used to the PL , Dobbin continuing to progress and maybe the likes of youngsters Stanley Mills and Jenson Metcalfe stepping up to be squad players. I’m going through an optimism spurt.
I meant the players we play or are likely to play.

Tarks, who is still young, but Young, Coleman and Gana are a bit of a concern.

But hey, im not here to take away your optimism, in Stanley Mills we trust.

We have a couple of players of exceptional quality. Pickford and Branthwaite would get a start in most teams, incl those near the top. A fit DCL isn't far behind, maybe Tarkowski also? The rest of the team/squad, whilst they can be classed as decent squad players, are probably not automatic starters at most PL clubs, hence the comments about how weak we are as a squad. We are, very, very weak, imo.
I disagree. They certainly wouldn't be starters for the top clubs but Gana, Mykolenko, Onana and Garner would play a lot of football at any mid-table club. Our first 11 is fine, what is behind that is not. We were lucky that we weren't too badly hit by injuries this season and that our very weak right hand side didn't cost us more points but then we're back on to Ashley Young and I don't want to fall out again! We're definitely not as weak as the Church of Dyche would have us believe. Also, the other clubs are not as good as some on here make out. Bournemouth finishing where they finished shows how good a job Iraola has done and what a fine season Solanke has had, for example, their squad is not very good. Neither is Wolves, Brentfords, Forests etc... The bottom half of the Premier League is not strong at all. We're no worse than many others currently, that may not remain the case by the time the fire sale is over, however.

I meant the players we play or are likely to play.

Tarks, who is still young, but Young, Coleman and Gana are a bit of a concern.

But hey, im not here to take away your optimism, in Stanley Mills we trust.
Well he’s only 20 so we shouldn’t expect too much, but all roads lead to Stanley Mills
1716478201154.jpeg

It has been referred to, on more than one occasion, as League One squad. I realise that that was said as a hyperbolic device but that's what we're dealing with. Our first 11 is better than many other teams, Notts Forest, Brentford and Bournemouth spring to mind and obviously the relegated sides. Our squad depth is atrocious but most of our starting 11 are decent, not brilliant, but decent.

I disagree. They certainly wouldn't be starters for the top clubs but Gana, Mykolenko, Onana and Garner would play a lot of football at any mid-table club. Our first 11 is fine, what is behind that is not. We were lucky that we weren't too badly hit by injuries this season and that our very weak right hand side didn't cost us more points but then we're back on to Ashley Young and I don't want to fall out again! We're definitely not as weak as the Church of Dyche would have us believe. Also, the other clubs are not as good as some on here make out. Bournemouth finishing where they finished shows how good a job Iraola has done and what a fine season Solanke has had, for example, their squad is not very good. Neither is Wolves, Brentfords, Forests etc... The bottom half of the Premier League is not strong at all. We're no worse than many others currently, that may not remain the case by the time the fire sale is over, however.

I would say that the bottom three were far worse.
Forest, Brentford squads are better, have more fire power. Brentford in particular and balanced for the style of play they have number of players that would only leave for big fees who aren’t household names but walk into our team.
A lot of fans don’t really recognise good players at lesser sides because they don’t make the headlines.
Wolves, Fulham and Bournemouth are the sides I can’t really comment on because i can’t really say I have watched them as much.
Forest have been a basket case but they some very good players in their squad. A decent manager could get a song out of them

I would say that the bottom three were far worse.
Forest, Brentford squads are better, have more fire power. Brentford in particular and balanced for the style of play they have number of players that would only leave for big fees who aren’t household names but walk into our team.
A lot of fans don’t really recognise good players at lesser sides because they don’t make the headlines.
Wolves, Fulham and Bournemouth are the sides I can’t really comment on because i can’t really say I have watched them as much.
Forest have been a basket case but they some very good players in their squad. A decent manager could get a song out of them
All opinions I suppose, but two successive managers have failed to get a tune out of Forest. I concede that Brentford's forwards are better than ours but the rest of their team is nothing special, hence them accruing 9 less points than us. Anyway, I doubt anything I say will sway you or any of the other Dyche enthusiasts, your narrative is that everything good on the playing side is down to Dyche and everything bad is the players. It's not a view I can reconcile with what I see. He has been very effective, I concede that willingly, it's just poison on the eyes and that's not all down to the players.

Agreed mate, we should've played attacking football like Luton....

He's inherited a mess, a squad that almost took us down twice. Teams at the bottom have two choices. Be sensible and sort the defence out or go for it and risk attacking. Add on an 8 point deduction and you'd be daft to expect free flowing football.
In a season, he transformed us from a team fighting relegation, to the 4th best defence in the league, safe by late December (without realising it) and finishing 11th (without the deductions)

If you don't see progress and a manager working with, quite frankly, an appalling squad, then I can't help you. If we had a striker who could finish, I'd love to have seen where we'd have ended up. I've never walked out of so many matches fuming at the absolute sitters missed.
Brilliant post.

All opinions I suppose, but two successive managers have failed to get a tune out of Forest. I concede that Brentford's forwards are better than ours but the rest of their team is nothing special, hence them accruing 9 less points than us. Anyway, I doubt anything I say will sway you or any of the other Dyche enthusiasts, your narrative is that everything good on the playing side is down to Dyche and everything bad is the players. It's not a view I can reconcile with what I see. He has been very effective, I concede that willingly, it's just poison on the eyes and that's not all down to the players.

Surely some of it is down to how you use the players though. It’s a circular argument that both sides can make easily. We play well and one side will say ‘look Mykolenko, Garner, Gana etc. are all good players’. Branthwaite looks great, Tarkowski is solid Docuoure suddenly looks decent and people think Dyche is just getting an average tune out of them.

I’ve seen these players under Lampard though look like the worst in the league. If we had a manager playing a high line and attacking fullbacks then Tarkowski and Branthwaite would be getting turned and exposed every game and Mykolenko would be the target of the boo boys again. If Docuoure is playing deep midfield he’d be terrible. So the pro Dyche supporters will say he’s set them up in the system that suits them and got the best out of them.

There’s no winner. Dyche could get this lot into the top half and all his critics would say is it’s proof that he had a top half squad all along.

I tend to look at what other teams would swap their players for ours. Pickford Branthwaite and Tarkowski? Yes absolutely, it’s the best in the bottom half by far. McNeil, Harrison DCL? No one outside the bottom 3 is swapping for those three. Onana and Garner would have some takers, Gana and Docuoure not for me due to age for the former and technique for the latter.

Scrolling through the comments on here it occurred to me is there actually any manager who's been good enough? The Dyche opinion reminds me a lot of Moyes in the bluekipper days. He used to get battered on there. And since then there isn't a single manager who's been "good enough"
Joe Royle is possibly the last one who was liked the most. And funnily enough i dont think his style and attitude is a million miles away from dyche.

Scrolling through the comments on here it occurred to me is there actually any manager who's been good enough? The Dyche opinion reminds me a lot of Moyes in the bluekipper days. He used to get battered on there. And since then there isn't a single manager who's been "good enough"
Joe Royle is possibly the last one who was liked the most. And funnily enough i dont think his style and attitude is a million miles away from dyche.
You don’t remember his team with, Dunc, Stuart, Kanchelskis, limpar, speed, grant, Parkinson, battered quite a few teams and played Liverpool off the park at anfield, twice
Even the performance v spurs in the semi final was a great performance,
We played some great football that day.
Streets ahead of this team and dyche

You don’t remember his team with, Dunc, Stuart, Kanchelskis, limpar, speed, grant, Parkinson, battered quite a few teams and played Liverpool off the park at anfield, twice
Even the performance v spurs in the semi final was a great performance,
We played some great football that day.
Streets ahead of this team and dyche

I was at almost every joe royle game. You dont also remember the dogs of war? Royle's teams were based on hard work and he did have a far better squad. Though i did at times have an issue with him regarding limpar. I dont think royle knew or trusted he had two exceptional wingers because he benched limpar to many times for me. Bizare given kanchleskis got all the plaudits for anfield. But it was limpar pulling the strings.