2023/24 Sean Dyche

The players were goosed from midweek. It showed in the second half. I think Dyche got everything right except for Young. I knew eventually some how some way he would be involved. It sucks but it was an overall strong first half and almost a great defensive stand in the second.

Not sure what you want him to do.

If you try and play a high press game against Brighton, they'll cut you to pieces. Our squad make up suits the low-block counterattack unfortunately, it means we have to sit back and allow them to pass around.

Thought we were doing it well. Pretty clear under Dyche we have good shape, something Lampard never had with us. We're hard to break down and an unlucky deflection is the only reason we don't walk away with 3 points.

He does need to make more subs though, no reason Danjuma/Beto shouldn't be brought on for 20-30 minutes, Patterson could have come on earlier as well. His main flaw for me is his lack of subs, the rest he is doing fine.

Fair summary. It's clear we're going in the right direction for the first time in ages, even if that progress is small and slow. But the sheer transparency of how goosed we were today and to not attempt to do anything about it and just blindly hope they wouldn't score is really startling.
He's all about shape is Dyche, he most likely fears a sub will comprimise that. But, today I think the tiredness (especially on the right side) should have been at the forefront of his decisions.

Think he needs to trust the squad a bit more because they were dead on their feet at the end.

However, he's still improved us a lot and we're a lot harder to beat these days.

Agree he should have made changes earlier, but we’re so much better defensively than him and have been for a long time. Brighton have smashed us at home the last couple of seasons and we restricted them to very little.

Agreed, and that is clear progress. The amount of games in the past year or 2 we've barely been in at all is humiliating, now we are in each game and you have to work/get a bit lucky to score against us.

Fair summary. It's clear we're going in the right direction for the first time in ages, even if that progress is small and slow. But the sheer transparency of how goosed we were today and to not attempt to do anything about it and just blindly hope they wouldn't score is really startling.

Moyes vibes from that. Frustrating seeing us trying to see out a 1-0, but in fairness we nearly did.

Needs to reassess his opinion of Young as a viable PL right back, though.

I’m sure a new manager is the answer, the last few have all worked out really well for Everton.
Yes, because every potential manager has the exact same weaknesses as this one, so why even try for better, right?

I mean, this far into the season and he's still making the same mistakes as in bold above over and over. But hey, a point against the mighty Brighton (!) at home is nothing to sniff at, I guess.

This team is better than the results we've achieved from the opposition we've played.

11 points from 11 games that includes Fulham, Wolves, Luton, Bournemouth, and Brighton at home is concerning.

I'd take 17th now - but thank god the bottom 3 are so poor because we've royally pissed away an opportunity and that has come from 2 reasons. The first was starting the season again without a number 9, and the second is being too negative at home.

Yes, because every potential manager has the exact same weaknesses as this one, so why even try for better, right?

I mean, this far into the season and he's still making the same mistakes as in bold above over and over. But hey, a point against the mighty Brighton (!) at home is nothing to sniff at, I guess.
Every manager makes mistakes. Let's ignore all the positive changes he's made shall we???

Sacking him now would be one of the stupidest things we could do, so calling for it to happen is even worse.