2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if then you have the opposite fullback pushed over, then you have a gap between the fullback and centre half for a midfielder or attacker to make a run through. You can’t do both. so it’s the lesser of 2 and that’s forcing them out wide not through the middle.

it’s either fullback or wingers job to limit deep diagonal option. If we cover that well, we will restrict spurs to sideway passing because there isn’t much option except deep diagonal balls.

It’s a small flaw in his system, I don’t think he needs to overhaul his entire tactics to adjust this flaw.
it isn't a flaw, it is deliberate, spreading your full backs wider makes more space in the middle, more space for a centre forward who is very goodie the air, lets say, a Harry Kane, more space to get a free header off. Packing tight means that by the time the ball is spread to the full back on the opposite side of the pitch, the defensive unit can shuffle over and re position.

Teams are beginning to switch play with deep diagonal balls and we’re struggling to deal with it. This is a tactical weakness of Dyche system.

We’re also making too many meaningless passes around the box and losing the ball on many occasions. Go direct and whip in crosses or long shots.
Of course they will. That is the point of having a compact defence with strong arial center backs.
The opposition are forced to make continous world-class 40m+ diagonal passes to find space.
And each pass gives us time to readjust midair. An "isolated" fullback can either intercept the pass to iniate a counter, or at worst, position himself for a 1v1.
Additionally, that can be leviated by designating players to press their most efficient distributors, further increasing our chances of an intercept.
We cant cover all spaces, so we give away the least dangerous one.

it isn't a flaw, it is deliberate, spreading your full backs wider makes more space in the middle, more space for a centre forward who is very goodie the air, lets say, a Harry Kane, more space to get a free header off. Packing tight means that by the time the ball is spread to the full back on the opposite side of the pitch, the defensive unit can shuffle over and re position.
We don’t need to ask our fullback to stick closer to Kane. That’s the job of the 2 Center back.

The deep diagonal balls drops inside or at the edge of our box, it is almost impossible to switch the defensive unit quickly to counter the threat. One pass or cross is enough to create a shooting chance from that position.

Of course they will. That is the point of having a compact defence with strong arial center backs.
The opposition are forced to make continous world-class 40m+ diagonal passes to find space.
And each pass gives us time to readjust midair. An "isolated" fullback can either intercept the pass to iniate a counter, or at worst, position himself for a 1v1.
Additionally, that can be leviated by designating players to press their most efficient distributors, further increasing our chances of an intercept.
We cant cover all spaces, so we give away the least dangerous one.
It’s not working tho. Midway through the first half and spurs already tried that 6 times. They obviously saw the gap and clearly instructed to exploit it.

We don’t need to ask our fullback to stick closer to Kane. That’s the job of the 2 Center back.

The deep diagonal balls drops inside or at the edge of our box, it is almost impossible to switch the defensive unit quickly to counter the threat. One pass or cross is enough to create a shooting chance from that position.
ok mate

It’s not working tho. Midway through the first half and spurs already tried that 6 times. They obviously saw the gap and clearly instructed to exploit it.
Today was tougher, agreed.
But Dyche adjusted this, and without having replayed the, I question the postioning skills of Godfrey/McNeill on the left and sometimes Coleman on the right.
Especially McNeill who was dropping deep as an LB out of posessioon was on the backheels too many times.
But a team that can consistently exploit flanks through deep crosses, are likely even deadlier when exploiting the middle.

I guess we just arent good enough, but I personally think Dyche is working wonders with this group. Look how utterly helpless we are in the final third, and still we always seem to be in it with a fight. It is everyone elses fault but Dyche this imo.

It’s not working tho. Midway through the first half and spurs already tried that6 times. They obviously saw the gap and clearly instructed to exploit it.
How many goals have we conceded due to it? There is no perfect system from which no chances are created if you want your team to pose a threat themselves. Given that Dyche has put Keane, Godfrey and Doucoure back in the team, it seems that we're set up better to deal with crosses when they come whilst keeping the middle of the park congested.

Today was tougher, agreed.
But Dyche adjusted this, and without having replayed the, I question the postioning skills of Godfrey/McNeill on the left and sometimes Coleman on the right.
Especially McNeill who was dropping deep as an LB out of posessioon was on the backheels too many times.
But a team that can consistently exploit flanks through deep crosses, are likely even deadlier when exploiting the middle.

I guess we just arent good enough, but I personally think Dyche is working wonders with this group. Look how utterly helpless we are in the final third, and still we always seem to be in it with a fight. It is everyone elses fault but Dyche this imo.

Agree. Positional sense and awareness is the key.

All I’m saying is, any team that prepares against us will look at how easy spurs creates problems with diagonal balls and will likely look to exploit it again.

We need to address it sooner or later.

Bet he quite likes his reputation as an old school rudimentary caveman of a defensive manager. Obviously tactically astute, but clearly goes home tonight to re-read his Steve Peters books and listen to a couple of Diary of a CEO podcasts. Talks a lot of one-liners and cliches, but seem he’s a thinker who chooses his words very carefully with the players. Or at least he wants to be.

The biggest question I have is are we just more fit or are the extra legs in the midfield helping us compete in games? Will this kind of effort hold up when we aren’t fighting for our lives? That has been the question for a lot of our managers. I do agree with Dyche’s midfield philosophy though.

Has a couple of options without Doucoure for 3 games. Move Iwobi back to the middle, Gray out wide and Simms up front, or just bring Garner in as a straight swap.

I’m making the bold assumption that Calvert-Lewin won’t be available as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.