2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Oil HATES it when you call him lazy.

Look, we saw what happens when he tries, for that month while he was after a pay rise he played football.

Maybe its not lazy, but theres certainly a lack of application, bottling out of tackles every game, he couldnt care less about the club.

Now im not naive to believe that players bleed blue, but hes a coward of a man.
Yeah wild take but I actually don't like racial stereotypes

Look, we saw what happens when he tries, for that month while he was after a pay rise he played football.

Maybe its not lazy, but theres certainly a lack of application, bottling out of tackles every game, he couldnt care less about the club.

Ah do think that's a bit harsh, I haven't ever thought Iwobi doesn't work or try. I think he was just incredibly poor and short of confidence, he's now found that confidence again but the quality is lacking.

The xG stuff is very set play dependent. Against Forest .95 NPxG (which isn't hugely impressive btw) and .5 from set plays. Villa was 1.54 and 1.0 from set plays. Leeds was 1.54 and 1.12 from set plays. Weirdly Arsenal is where most of our big open play chances have come from and we did nothing period against the RS. Total we're around 5 from open play in 6 games. Still underperfomance but also no where near good enough.

You might get slightly different figures based on the site you use but the picture stays the same regardless. The set plays will count obviously but you are going to have to be better from open play too.

And this is my criticism. You're playing a passable number ten on the right where he SUCKS. You're not playing a guy who can at least get shots off even if the decision making stinks. You're playing a left footer who only goes left on the left so he can only really cross and then playing a 5'8 striker at the end of those crosses. This also eliminates the LB (who is bad I know) from being an overlapping threat for large periods. That striker has shown some ability to link play and is now not helpful in that area because no one is really near him to link with. What it leads to is a team that struggles from open play. I understand they aren't turning into 2011 Barcelona! But I think some changes to the system and reshuffling of personnel can give us just a little bit more and give us a chance to win a few more points.

Overall what we're doing has a ton of positives and that's why it's frustrating to see us not making any changes to just get slightly better. We only need to get slightly better to definitely stay up.
But that could very well be the case for lots of teams. Set-pieces are a key part of the game, unless you're Roberto Martinez.

We do need to do better from open play but again, this is what you get when you have crap players. Think how crucial set-pieces were under Ancelotti, fgs.

Here's the teams that have scored the most goals from corners in the PL this season, btw. So loads of good teams here.

- Spurs (12)
- Fulham (10)
- Arsenal (10)
- Liverpool (9)
- Man City (8)
- Brentford (7)

Everton down on 3, which have IIRC all come since Boxing Day, starting with Mina's goal v Wolves. We've only scored twice from free-kicks, so of our 19 goals this season, 14 have come from open play (one of course was an OG v Villa).

Iwobi doesn't suck on the right. He's just as inconsistent there as he is in the middle and on the left, because he's an inconsistent player. He's playing right because Dyche wanted to sure up the midfield and get Doucoure into the side. Maybe it's time for that to change to get Iwobi central? I wouldn't be against it, but it's not like it's guaranteed to work, because Iwobi is inconsistent just like the others.

As for McNeil playing left and Maupay in the middle, that boils back down to recruitment. Why did they sign a midget, who can't run, to be Dom's back up? Thelwell should have been sacked on the spot for that alone, especially having spent £15m on a lad whose only asset is crossing. If McNeil plays on the right, where he has generally been really poor for us, he's very predictable because he can't switch onto his right foot.

I'm not against changing, I just don't think there's much more to get out of this squad. They are what they are - a dreadfully assembled squad of players that have zero quality up front bar a lad who can't stay fit.

But that could very well be the case for lots of teams. Set-pieces are a key part of the game, unless you're Roberto Martinez.

We do need to do better from open play but again, this is what you get when you have crap players. Think how crucial set-pieces were under Ancelotti, fgs.

Here's the teams that have scored the most goals from corners in the PL this season, btw. So loads of good teams here.

- Spurs (12)
- Fulham (10)
- Arsenal (10)
- Liverpool (9)
- Man City (8)
- Brentford (7)

Everton down on 3, which have IIRC all come since Boxing Day, starting with Mina's goal v Wolves. We've only scored twice from free-kicks, so of our 19 goals this season, 14 have come from open play (one of course was an OG v Villa).

Iwobi doesn't suck on the right. He's just as inconsistent there as he is in the middle and on the left, because he's an inconsistent player. He's playing right because Dyche wanted to sure up the midfield and get Doucoure into the side. Maybe it's time for that to change to get Iwobi central? I wouldn't be against it, but it's not like it's guaranteed to work, because Iwobi is inconsistent just like the others.

As for McNeil playing left and Maupay in the middle, that boils back down to recruitment. Why did they sign a midget, who can't run, to be Dom's back up? Thelwell should have been sacked on the spot for that alone, especially having spent £15m on a lad whose only asset is crossing. If McNeil plays on the right, where he has generally been really poor for us, he's very predictable because he can't switch onto his right foot.

I'm not against changing, I just don't think there's much more to get out of this squad. They are what they are - a dreadfully assembled squad of players that have zero quality up front bar a lad who can't stay fit.
I would love for us to be dominant on set plays. It's a great edge to have. It can't be your everything. It is also extremely helpful if you have a greater volume of set plays because teams concede them trying to stop what is actually a threatening attack otherwise. Please don't think I'm discounting them it's just that even on a good year it can only be like 30% of your goals if your a half decent side.

I'm one of the biggest Iwobi fans but he's an awful right winger. He's inconsistent between below average and unplayable over there while through the center he's inconsistent between really good and kinda bad. It's not the same.

Again they're really bad, but I see a 4-3-3 with Iwobi in the center, McNeil right and Gray left as being a passable attack. I think with Dyche bringing actual organization to the side now we can survive like that. How we are now is closer to maybe.

I can't believe he still sells Iwobi as a no.10, when the only time he's ever played well in his life was as a proper centre-mid.

I was honestly blown away by some of his performances last season, using his physicality instead of trying to coast on decent fundamentals. It was like watching Gattuso.

Not good enough, though. He's Rui Costa meets Kaka, only better in every way. Nothing else will do.

I would love for us to be dominant on set plays. It's a great edge to have. It can't be your everything. It is also extremely helpful if you have a greater volume of set plays because teams concede them trying to stop what is actually a threatening attack otherwise. Please don't think I'm discounting them it's just that even on a good year it can only be like 30% of your goals if your a half decent side.

I'm one of the biggest Iwobi fans but he's an awful right winger. He's inconsistent between below average and unplayable over there while through the center he's inconsistent between really good and kinda bad. It's not the same.

Again they're really bad, but I see a 4-3-3 with Iwobi in the center, McNeil right and Gray left as being a passable attack. I think with Dyche bringing actual organization to the side now we can survive like that. How we are now is closer to maybe.
First point in bold, I fully agree. But, I don't think it is our everything atm. In the last few games we've had 3 corners v Forest, 1 v Arsenal. We had 5 v Villa, to put that into context.

FYI, of our 51 chances created under Dyche, 40 of them have come from open play. That's really not bad and shows that set-pieces aren't 'our everything'. We do need better quality from open play but I'm a firm believer that comes from better players.

Iwobi's had some excellent games for us on the right, though. Whether as a wing-back or as RM. Yes, it's not his best position but he's still had some good moments there. In a Dyche system I think it was always likely he played right but I would like to see them switched every now and then for variation, or like I said perhaps it's time to drop Onana for a few games and try a 4231.

I'm a bit worried on that organisation point as like I said for me the biggest worry so far is a lack of defensive organisation and I think that's fair to question Dyche on.

Tbf I won't have that he's lazy.

He's just incredibly erratic. Does something really well and then decides to try and hit a pass straight through a player standing a yard in front of him. Literally all of the time, too.
He has no footballing intelligence. He's as thick as two short planks on a football field. Oh, he's got ability, and no little talent. But he lacks the brain to apply those skills in an impactful way. Occasionally he will, by accident, do the right thing, but that's a product of random chance. There is no design in the way he plays. He is what he is. Consistently underwhelming.

First point in bold, I fully agree. But, I don't think it is our everything atm. In the last few games we've had 3 corners v Forest, 1 v Arsenal. We had 5 v Villa, to put that into context.

FYI, of our 51 chances created under Dyche, 40 of them have come from open play. That's really not bad and shows that set-pieces aren't 'our everything'. We do need better quality from open play but I'm a firm believer that comes from better players.

Iwobi's had some excellent games for us on the right, though. Whether as a wing-back or as RM. Yes, it's not his best position but he's still had some good moments there. In a Dyche system I think it was always likely he played right but I would like to see them switched every now and then for variation, or like I said perhaps it's time to drop Onana for a few games and try a 4231.

I'm a bit worried on that organisation point as like I said for me the biggest worry so far is a lack of defensive organisation and I think that's fair to question Dyche on.
I really don't agree on Iwobi. I think he's had only a handful of even passable performances over there at least in the context of an attacker. He was great as a defensive RB a few times but I'm not really bothered by that.

It's apparent that we are in a precarious position and that we should have appointed Dyche in November when Bournemouth hammered us in successive matches.

But it is absurd for the gleeful media to write us off at this stage. Anyone would think that we had already been relegated the way some pundits are talking! We are in a terrible position, but we aren't down yet.

With just 6 games to go last season.... No one in their right minds thought we had a chance of getting out of the bottom 3. Not with Burnley in the ascendency and the likes of Chelsea and Leicester and Arsenal still to play.

There's a lot of talk of RS fans having a huge relegation party outside BMD on the final day of the season. We are really playing into their hands with this absurd talk of already being down. If we were 10 points adrift I would get it, but as things stand we are just one point away from safety. And a few weeks ago we beat the league leaders.

Anything is possible as long as we get behind our players and our manager in the same way that we did towards the end of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.