2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question, what do you think Burnley fans have found more enjoyable? Kompany building a what looks like a proper modern football team this season and dominating the championship, or being the laughing stock of the premier league for years and years under this dinosaur. Under Dyche they were THAT team where u genuinely wonder if staying in the prem was even worth it for the fans.

It's not 100% positivity but the majority seem to have found his time at the club, as a whole, very enjoyable. And like anyone with an ounce of backbone they wouldn't have gave two hoots about what other fans thought of them.

I wish him well. It'll be interesting to see how he does though.
This season for us doesn't happen without the foundations he helped build.

Possibly could be the best manager we will have in our lifetime unless you seen the 60s I didn’t.Kompany as been marvellous but he’s a long way to go to achieve what Sean did let’s not live in the past though just hope he does well.

I've no love of Everton and I was really looking forward to laughing my dangly bits off when they went down, but I actually think St Sean of Yorkshire Street will save them and I sincerely hope he does, for his sake.

OK. So he's no longer manager of Burnley. But he is a hugely important - and positive - part of our history. Having watched the Clarets since 1960 and having endured years of lack of success, what he did for the club was fantastic and sarcastic put downs are really inappropriate.

I very much want him to succeed for his own sake. He was fantastic for us for most of his tenure at the Turf. I look forward to us welcoming him back here with his new team next season in the Prem. so we can show him the appreciation we were never able to give him when he left.

And haven't Everton been THAT team under quite a few managers from the perspective of other fans?

Dyche it is........

I don`t want to start his tenure with any negativity, we need to absolutely back him!

He will know the ceiling for Everton is limitless IF he can get it right... apparently he talked very well of the club. I think Dyche will be made up to have been given a job of this size and he will be proud to wear the badge, 100%, whereas Bielsa is volatile and probably wouldn`t feel the club as much as Dyche will.

In an ideal world it would have been a bigger name BUT if he can get the team firing backed by the fans TOGETHER we can go places....

He will not be any worse than Lampard..... Welcome to Everton Sean, UTFT

2.5 year contract and he'll be the person spending the only money we'll be able to spend for years.

This is an absolute disaster and I'm struggling to understand how everybody isn't seeing that.

Even if Bielsa's demands were impossible there are so many other options??

Where's Thelwell going? Not that he's any better on current evidence

This is maybe true but we aren't Burnley. We're a massive club even if we are being run into the ground. Attracting a manager of Kompany's standing would never be an issue for us if that's what we decided we want to do.

Which is contradictory. If you're a club being ran horrifically and bottom of the league with no money...are you gonna bring in some new progressive manager to get a tune out of a poor thin squad with a brand of football? Or are you gonna bring in someone who can win games with limited resources?

Burnley took a punt on Kompany and it's paying off. But they could easily do a Norwich. Smash the championship and get spanked each week in the prem rinse and repeat.

I think that this job is too big for young managers without enough experience.
I think the example of that is Marco Silva. The job was too big and too soon for him.

We may be a basket case, but we are a big basket case with high expectations which can weigh down on a young manager.
It's a fair point and you obviously have to be careful with that. It's hard to tell with Silva, personally I liked him and i'm not sure the job was too big. He'd managed Sporting and Olympiakos before so it's not like he had no experience of expectation/big crowds/volatile situations etc. He did pretty well in his first year, we let him down with the recruitment that summer, and then it went a bit wrong over a relatively short period. That can happen to anyone really, whether you're inexperienced or not. I'm not saying it wasn't an issue, but for me I just thought it was more that he got stuck in a bit of a rut and couldn't find a way out of it. There were a couple of sliding doors moments too, like the ridiculous late pen at Brighton and the last minute Leicester goal given by VAR. Koeman got stuck in a similar rut and he had loads of experience.

Last edited:

Has us over the barrel now.

Wants a contract to 2026 according to Hunter.
Moshiri be stupid enough to accept then sack him in the summer. If we're going for him just stick with him for the next few seasons even if he takes us down. It's prob 50/50 chance of survival for whoever comes in anyway. If we give him a long contract then sack him for a more cosmetically appealing manager like we did with Sam then we're mugs.

Sean Dyche can go full Sean Dyche at Everton and it could keep them in the Premier League​

SPORT ANALYSIS

Everton have a disorganised defence, a midfield lacking steel, a misfiring Calvert-Lewin and a disenchanted fanbase. This could be the perfect Dyche project​

BURNLEY, ENGLAND - APRIL 02: Burnley manager Sean Dyche during the Premier League match between Burnley and Manchester City at Turf Moor on April 2, 2022 in Burnley, United Kingdom. (Photo by Alex Dodd - CameraSport via Getty Images)
Dyche has been tasked with steering Everton to safety (Photo: Getty)
author avatar image
By Daniel Storey
Chief Football Writer
January 27, 2023 3:56 pm

If you are responsible for appointing a new manager, have narrowed it down to two options and those options are Marcelo Bielsa and Sean Dyche, it says a good deal about you, your selection process or your club’s state of mind. It’s like musing over what you would like for tea and tossing a coin: heads is chicken faal, tails is a bowl of oat and chia porridge.
Eventually, Everton have surely made the right decision. Or at least the safe decision. Or had that decision made for them. Or whatever. “Dyche is the safe pair of hands”, you will hear on repeat over the next week. Marcelo Bielsa is wedded to a philosophy, would have made them run and run and run, committed them to a high-energy training programme and inspired them as people and it may have gone south very quickly. Which is interesting, because Dyche shares plenty of those characteristics.
Everton’s worry, we were told, was that if they appointed Dyche there would be a decision to make about the club’s long-term strategy, which is cute because it appears to be the first time anyone at Everton has done that in about half a decade. If Everton’s biggest problem ends up being “should we stick with this man who has steered us away from that massive iceberg we paid £300m for and put in the sea upon the ship’s course”, sighs of relief should be audible from St Helens.

Dyche has enjoyed his sabbatical: dancing in Rock City, eating curry in the establishments of Nottingham’s Maid Marian Way, generally looking eight years younger than when he left Turf Moor. He’s done the podcast rounds too, cleverly remembering to diversify his responses to fit expectations.
On Training Ground Guru, Dyche spoke at length about evolving the playing style of his teams in the future. With the Coaches’ Voice, he spoke in detail about the tactical nuances of 4-4-2. On Keys and Gray, he mocked Bielsa and Jesse Marsch and laughed at any technical term longer than two syllables.

MORE FROM FOOTBALL​

‘It's not the same Sunderland’: Why Joe Gelhardt loan typifies Black Cats' transfer overhaul‘It's not the same Sunderland’: Why Joe Gelhardt loan typifies Black Cats' transfer overhaul27 January, 2023Everton set to appoint Sean Dyche today after fruitless talks with Marcelo BielsaEverton set to appoint Sean Dyche today after fruitless talks with Marcelo Bielsa27 January, 2023Man City host Arsenal in blockbuster FA Cup tie as Guardiola predicts sideline fireworksMan City host Arsenal in blockbuster FA Cup tie as Guardiola predicts sideline fireworks27 January, 2023
Dyche need not worry about his philosophical or tactical versatility for now. Everton have appointed him for what he has done before, not what he may become. There’s a defence that needs organising, a central midfield that needs greater steel, a decent striker who badly needs some service and a set of supporters who are desperate to believe in anything at all. The time for worrying about the method is over; Everton need results. Dyche has a licence to go full Dyche.
“The minimum requirement is maximum effort,” is one of Dyche’s favourite phrases. When once asked if Burnley’s new signings were told of the manager’s infamous demands for hard work, Dyche laughed ominously, paused and said: “We don’t tell them, the players tell them.”

That is likely to be Dyche’s quick win at Goodison. There is an accusation (not least from many of the club’s supporters) that Everton’s current players are emotionally uninvested in the plight, that they don’t care about losing every week. It’s rarely accurate – players almost never down tools. It’s simply that broken confidence and being poorly coached in a dispiriting environment looks a little like surrender. The players are the tangible representation of the broken club, not its cause.
There are elements of Everton’s first team that may delight Dyche too. If there was one secret to Burney’s success, it was a strategy not to limit the number of shots that their opponents took but to funnel them into areas from where the shots would be taken, allowing them to be blocked. In 2018-19, Burnley blocked 222 shots; no other team managed more than 170. Fun fact: no team has blocked more shots than Everton this season.
BURNLEY, ENGLAND - JULY 26: Burnley's Manager Sean Dyche instructs James Tarkowski during the Premier League match between Burnley FC and Brighton & Hove Albion at Turf Moor on July 26, 2020 in Burnley, United Kingdom. (Photo by Dave Howarth - CameraSport via Getty Images)
Dyche will team up with a few familiar faces at Everton including James Tarkowski (Photo: Getty)
As you look over the squad, crucial actors stand out. Conor Coady and James Tarkowski are a gloriously Dychian combination in central defence but the manager knows Michael Keane well if he wishes to break it up. A workmanlike central midfield pairing is ready to be built between Amadou Onana, Idrissa Gueye, Abdoulaye Doucoure, Tom Davies and Alex Iwobi.
The squad contains wingers, inverted or otherwise, including another former Claret in £20m summer signing Dwight McNeil. Neal Maupay is the perfect replica of Ashley Barnes and Dominic Calvert-Lewin the potential upgrade on Chris Wood. Dyche took a worse collection of players to seventh in the division; now he must make a team out of these.
At which point, because this all sounds jolly and jolly easy, we should remember that there are fewer guarantees than we are being tricked into believing. For all that Dyche is a synonym for safety and the glorious comfort of midtable, that reputation was established in specific circumstances. This is the third job of his career, and his first new one in over a decade. Then it was Burnley in the Championship, where he won three of his first 10 games and eight of his first 27 to move them from 14th to 13th. He must start quicker here.
This is a big job for Dyche. The assumption is that he stayed at Burnley too long, that the takeover broke his spirit and the sustainability of his masterplan, but those are only assumptions because there is no other evidence. Elsewhere in the Premier League, Unai Emery, Roberto De Zerbi and Julen Lopetegui have all enjoyed fast starts and Dyche would consider himself markedly different to all three.
Dyche may not only be a firefighter, but there’s sure as hell a fire that needs putting out. Taking Everton down would leave his reputation scorch-marked and sooty.

Reactions: Lob
Well , it’s happening.
So let’s hope our board are engaged in planning for a disaster instead of being a disaster!
It certainly doesn't look promising but we are barely past half way in the season and at least we are not adrift at the bottom ... yet.

Twelve months ago I didn't want Dyche in any circumstances... I really did not foresee the circumstance where I think he is the most practical and sensible appointment and that is what I believe now.

If we are lucky enough to survive we are talking of probably another four season to wash out the deadwood in the squad and get the club on an even keel again.

Time will tell if Dyche can do any of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.